Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Tesla isnt playing around anymore

Old 10-15-2014, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 tib
Default Tesla isnt playing around anymore

Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 4.36.41 PM.png

Tesla recently revealed their new Model S ‘D’. The ‘D’ is a more powerful, all wheel drive version of the Model S.

The new 'D' keeps the Model S looks, but utilizes two motors, the ‘D’ actually stands for dual motor, to put the electric power to all four wheels. With more power, the new Model S ‘D’ is quicker and gets a bump in top speed over the current Model S, which is already pretty quick. The new sprint to 60 happens in just 3.2 seconds. That's supercar quick, and quite a change over the P85's 4.2 second 0-60. All this extra performance is supposed to come with increased efficiency as well.

This new model doesn't just have another motor and more power up its sleeve. Why would Tesla stop there? The new Models S also has what Musk calls Autopilot. This Tesla isn't quite driverless, but it does do a lot on its own. It utilizes 360 degree long range ultrasonic radar to sense obstacles around the vehicle and react to them. The car is also able to take into account speed limit signs to adjust speed and steer the vehicle without input from the driver. Another feature lets you set the car the way you want it, before you get in. Air conditioning, stereo and other options can be toggled remotely. Tesla really looks to be going all in with this one. The German automakers should be on alert.

Have a look at Tesla's Autopilot in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7quu551ehc0

Link http://www.businessinsider.com/demo-...odel-s-2014-10
Old 10-16-2014, 09:25 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

It's got great styling for a sedan and some very good numbers there. Kudos to Tesla for that!

I'm just not sure that I would put my money into this.

Now from a technological standpoint it's an amazing step for electric automobiles, especially being a 4 door with the performance of a supercar. And that autopilot is a damn nice feature. Being someone that's had to deal with I-285 around this damn city at 8am, I look forward to the day when autonomous vehicles rule the morning commute. Granted there will still be some jackass in a 90's Buick Regal crashing into everything in site, but at least he'll be in the minority then.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

It's a phenomenal car for a lot of the right reasons and only a few of the wrong ones.

Elon Musk has my respect. He's one of the great visionaries of our lifetimes.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:37 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

If I could afford a Tesla I would get one.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

My Leaf is my training vehicle. My next new car WILL be a Tesla.