Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Supra Vs. Tib Rd1

Old 12-21-2006, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The supra had problems in the ass end as well, there is just too much torque there. Its not that the car is light (the thrid gen Supra weighs in at just under 3700 pounds) its just that the inline 6 is a torque monster, and once that turbo is spooled even with serious rubber you can still kick the rear end out if you arent careful

I can definitely vouch for the difficult to work on aspect, it was a nightmare of charge piping and wires under the hood, and good luck finding parts. Even if you go with the 4th gen, parts for the 2J are crazy expensive. In austraila you can get a 90-92 thrid gen with a 1Jz, which is cheaper than a 2J to work on, maintain, but its still more expensive than the good ol 7M.

If you have the time and money to address a few design flaws of the 7M, you have a serious power plant, it doesnt take more than a few rather cheap mods and you're throwing down 300 horse to the wheels on a third gen Supra, I suspect the same or even more for the last gen of 300ZX as they were twin turbo from the factory, and the US third gen Supras were only single turbo

smile.gif
Old 12-23-2006, 08:08 AM

True, Supras are heavy and not that powerful n/a, however they are still an awesome vehicle, not to mention rear wheel drive. Even with high mileage, they are still very reliable. The chassis can handle what seems to be an infinite amount of power. The best part is, it can lay it to the ground very well. Most people that own n/a Supras take pretty good care of them, as the hard core only seek out the TTs. As for aftermarket being so expensive, I am not sure why everyone is saying this. I don't think it is really anymore expensive then any other vehicle. Sure parts are more expensive then Tib parts. They are also produced by very well know companies, that make products that are very well engineered.

As for turbocharging your Tib thats a wonderful idea. They are neat little cars, and I love both of mine. But let us not forget that the RD's are pretty much becoming worthless. Thier values are dropping faster by the day. I understand that the amount of cash one dumps into thier project usually isn't of any concern, however after buying your turbo kit, engine rebuild and getting it all tuned you'll have a lot of cash into your Tib. This is fine if you truely love the car and are keeping it forever. However after about three years when it is puffing smoke again and you are tired of not having traction because its a powerful FWD should you decide to try to sell it, goodluck. The Hyundai market is flooded with GK's (that are still being produced), and even though everyone says they will, not to many people will put up any cash on a 10+ year old car with aging modifications. There are exceptions of course any car that is well built from the factory and rare (Supra, Skyline...) will always hold thier value pretty well.

Another option is to sell your Tib and just buy another one that is already turbo'd. You will save money and not have to pay labor. The hard part is finding one that appeals to you and is set-up they way you want it.

I have owned a lot of cars (and still do) this is just my opinion and my outlook on things.

Point being ask 100 people what they think and get 100+ answers.

This hobby is about driving a car which makes you happy and want to drive it all the time. YOUR opinion is the only one that matters.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:14 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ Ye, but most of us do the work ourselves, and find the pride not in having a turbo Tib, but having a turbo Tib that we designed and built ourselves. I tend to look down on tuners that pay for people to do installs, I just don't think its the same thing.

As for parts, even with the competition between competitors the stuff is crazy expensive for what it is. People that make parts for Supras know they got a good amount of cash under their belt, and that the difference between an 800 and 1000 dollar exhaust won't matter.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:05 AM

QUOTE (hamhead @ Dec 23 2006, 11:14 AM)
^^ Ye, but most of us do the work ourselves, and find the pride not in having a turbo Tib, but having a turbo Tib that we designed and built ourselves. I tend to look down on tuners that pay for people to do installs, I just don't think its the same thing.

Yes, but he stated that he has to pay labor because he couldn't do the work himself.
It's all the same to me, as long as the the enthusiast enjoys his car a car buff is a car buff. Some people just don't have the talent, time or resources to build thier own cars like most of us in the car hobby.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:49 PM

hehe..well if im not mistaking there is one turbocharged Tib here in NSW and it has the looks, has the power (not that much though) but its not that cheap..You can get a good Tib for 10,000$AUD with about 70-100K kms on it, while that car is going for 19,500$AUD so its almost twice the ammount..