Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Supra Vs. Tib Rd1

Old 10-16-2006, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hehe yeah..screw the supra..im keeping my Tib wink1.gif

What i figured is..that if i go turbo and a few years later try to sell the car, i would lose quite a bit and by that time it would be pretty old aswel..So i see how i go wit the turbo..Maybe ill wait till i finish Uni and then buy the 2008 model lmao.gif
Old 10-19-2006, 03:25 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

^^Now this is what one should expect from a Tib owner. Good decision wink1.gif
Old 10-19-2006, 03:42 AM

hehe..i wonder how much it will cost.. lmao.gif hopefully wont be a rip off..hyundais are always pretty cheap tongue.gif
Old 12-12-2006, 01:49 PM

For what its worth, I came from the other direction, I parked my 91 Supra Turbo for the Tibby. There are a few things I can share.

If you need parts, and eventually you will, be prepared for a hassle, most of the Toyota people i have dealt with run and hide when I come into the dealer, I am know as "that guy that still drives a supra" A lot of parts arent made for them anymore (at least for the 7m, not sure about the 2J) and they are mad expensive.

The NA supra was not all that fast, it was a heavy car and the non turbo only makes 230 horse (with out the throttle repsonse of a turbo)

Even the single turbo 7M was annoying to work on becasue of all the extra plumbing associated with the turbo and compared to other 6 cylinder engines of the time, the gas milage is actually pretty poor.

It sure was fun to drive when it was working though

I still have mine at this point, but I am not sure what I am going to do with it. They were rare cars (at least in the US) and they still turn heads today. Mine is pretty ragged at the moment, but I still get comments when I take it out for a spin.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:00 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT

I love both of my Tibs but if I could have any car I would have a 1997 Supra Twin Turbo w/ Targa Top
Old 12-12-2006, 03:42 PM

^haha yeah those are nice but they are really expencive and pretty rare in Australia, not as in rare but they are rare sales and ppl buy them quickly.. Anyway, i forgot bout the supra now and still going hard with my Tib laugh.gif
Old 12-12-2006, 07:13 PM

Vehicle: 1997 RD Tiburon

I was also toying with the idea of getting a Supra. They are a few of them going around the coast, most are N/A's, I've only seen 2 that are Turbo. Tib's are way cheaper, lol, $800 for a G4GF + 5 speed Vs. 8k just for a used 2JZ + 6speed Getrag, ridiculous.

I'm going to wait a year or two, when I hit 25 so my insurance comes right down and the price of the Supra falls a few grand. I might take the plunge then, still love the originality and the turn heads appeal of my Tibby.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:24 PM

hehe..well insurance for me wouldnt be a problem cos i dont have it now anyway..call me stupid but the car is on my dads name and he doesnt want to insure it! I might try to get at least third party so when i hit some Mercedez-Benz i dont have to spend my life repaying for the damage (they are very expencive here in Australia lol)

But supras are old, expencive and the NA ones are just good cos they are RWD, otherwise they are pretty sh1t lmao.gif
Old 12-16-2006, 03:57 AM

Couple items I can comment on...

1-Best friend has a 1990 300zx, total PITA, really fun to drive, fast etc, just parts are hard to get, and you cannot really do any work on it yourself, if you have seen under the hood you know what I mean. I don't know too much about how a supra drives, but from my experience the 300zx is way way way... too light in the ass for its own good. Can be fun just a handful unless the conditions are right.

2-Possibly if your looking for a project car, another option is an older eagle talon TSX or exclipse (Dont flame.. i said project) The 6 bolt engines are crap and usually tend to crankwalk, but alot of shops in the US, sell a 7 bolt for it. Out here car would cost u 2k with 100k+miles and then u have alot to put into the rest of it. Other friend has about 12k into his gsx, and it puts out about 300hp fing02.gif

Anyways just throwing out some options, would stray from the supra though due to maintence.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:44 PM

Vehicle: 1997 RD Tiburon

^^ The Eagle Talon or the Eclipse aren't good for us Aussies, damn Americans driving on the wrong side. laugh.gif