Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Supra Vs. Tib Rd1

Old 10-08-2006, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, sum1 i know had to sell their twin turbo bacause she lives in the mountains, and it was a daily driver. and that would eat up tires like mad. so she couldnt afford low profiles that often.

but i mean, damn selling it over tires, that should show you how expensive the motor will be.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:48 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

QUOTE (Osv4 @ Oct 7 2006, 11:42 PM)
So basicly ive got to decide a N/A 3.0L supra or a Tib 2.0L wit no mods (cant afford the mods)...hard decision..

Listen or don't its up to you.

1. Everyone and their mothers are going to laugh at you when you drive a N/A Supra. Supra is known for the turbo/power, you would have NONE. So basically you'd be a joke.

2. WTF do you want to buy a car that maybe is a TAD bit faster than the tib?

3. YOU CANNOT AFFORD MODS AND YOU WANT TO BUY A SUPRA?

4. Are you out of your mind? How are you going to do maintance on a Supra, when you can't afford anything for the tib?...

5. Do what ever you want, but don't come back crying and trying to sell the supra LOL.

6. Goodluck man smile.gif
Old 10-08-2006, 03:02 AM

LOL tanc..that was a bit harsh lmao.gif well..maybe in US they look different to you..Im on local forums and a fair bit of them drive the N/a supra + auto..so i dunno..

Ill answer to ur points one by one lol

1. Well N/A supra is a 6 cyl 3.0L even if its heavy its got the power..And i dont think it can be a bigger joke than driving a Hyundai, cos thats as ive heard is the bottom level (people have their own reasons for saying that, i like my Tib and i dont want to sell it but i want more power)

2. Well it is faster on a 1/4..im not taking neither the Tib or the Supra on there..Supra does have more power..

3. Yes i cannot afford big mods such as turbo, because my engine would die without a rebuild and as ive said before Supra works out cheaper than trying to boost my Tib.

4. I can afford maintance for Supra, i just cant spend 13,000$ to turbo my Tib!!

5. I never did and never will..if i do make a mistake ill admit it and learn from it..

6. Thanks!

Btw..Supra is said to consume about 9.8 L/100km.. which is driving normaly..its a 6cyl car, any car would use just as much..

Somebody mentioned its hard to find low milage..well it depends what you call low millege..here in AUS, ive said this b4, 80-110K kms is easy to find! Even my Tib is almost over that mark..
Old 10-08-2006, 04:48 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

13000 for a turbo... for that much here you can have axis drag machine REALLY

i will help you what do you want to do it will not cost that much 320~400 will cost you about 8 grand here but that is because of the import taxes on the shit. parts should cost you about 3 to 4 and that is with top end shit you come up with a list an i will seach for you here and you will have money to spair
Old 10-08-2006, 05:02 AM

Nah...its not 13,000 just for turbo..Just turbo is under 7000$ (installed)..but i would need a new ECU, new clutch, new brakes..that price also includes 5K for engine rebuild cos my current one has 103,000kms on it and is burning oil..i would need forged pistons and all that..im probably end up spending even more on it sad.gif
Old 10-08-2006, 07:47 AM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

See you keep saying the supra would be faster because it has more power, but remember after you factor in the weight it doesnt make it much faster at all.

And your also talking about how much youd save by going with the supra. But your assuming that you get the supra and NOTHING breaks. 99% of the time when you get a used car something will go bad with it, the older the car the more serious the repair.

How are you going to afford it if you buy the supra, and 2 days later you have to repair it?

Dont just say "oh the engines are reliable", because thats when something will go wrong-murphy's law.

Every car breaks down, every car has maintenance issues, and this car happens to be expensive as shit.

Honestly, my advise is to just keep the tib and dont really mod it out until you find a more stable financial ground. Because if you cant afford to mod a beta which is easily replacable for 300-400 depending on milage, you shouldnt be thinking about buying an expensive pseudo sports car.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:08 AM

After talking to my banker because I am in the market for a TT 94+ Supra she was stunned at the NADA value these cars hold even some in the later years Toyota makes one tough engine and often last for quite a while. If you do plan on dropping a good amount of money you really should be sure that your financially stable all around. You may also want to ask yourself if this is nothing more than a "hobby" or a car you know you are going to stick with for quite some time. Also you can check more information realting to Supras or other car make and models on Car Survey. That way you can find out what other owners think of their vehicles.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:12 AM

Yes well, how bout this?

I bought my Tib for 7500$AUD with 65,000kms on it! It had a full exhaust system, stereo system wit a sub, lowered with sports springs..At that time other Tibs were 12-13K with 100,000kms on them! And gues what! Ive never had a single problem with the car even know it was 5 grand cheaper! I spose i got lucky..as a guy told me "i bought a brand new car just off a production line, its been 5 months and it has spent more time with the mechanic than on the road" u never know wat u buy...

But anyway, ive changed my mind and i finally got supra forums to agree that a stock NA supra would go the same as my current Tib! So during the next few weeks ill be getting a nice set of wheels! Maybe a new front bar, ecu power chip, throtle body..that should do me for start..i think my clutch is about to die aswel so might get something better than stock..

So i will be getting there..and might even turbocharge my Tibby..yay! haha..im just worried about my engine cos it does burn oil, or it disappears somewhere without leaking it.... 02.gif which is a bit scary cos i dont want to blow the engine while doing some mods to it..
Old 10-11-2006, 08:49 PM

If you're after an importer.

http://www.aussiecarcompliance.com.au/cars4sale.htm
the first car on the list was just sold.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:53 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

If your worried about your engine then youd want to just get a new engine before you boost, theres always a way to get it cheaper than a rebuild, esspecially with the beta.