Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Spied! BMW readying entry-level 1-Series M

Old 04-12-2010, 06:37 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Spied! BMW readying entry-level 1-Series M

The rumors of an upcoming performance version of BMW’s 1-Series have been rampant for well over a year, with “sources” saying BMW would make an M1, while others said they wouldn’t. Whatever moniker BMW intends to use, our latest exclusive spy photos show that they certainly intend to use something to designate this wide-body 1-Series Coupe as a performance model above the 135i.

These spy photos clearly show off the wide-body fenders front and rear, despite the automaker’s attempt at hiding these qualities with psychedelic camouflage. There is also an aggressive front spoiler, larger wheels and massive brakes with drilled discs – all pointing to a 1-Series M.

While BMW itself has the subcompact premium market nicely covered with the twin-turbo, in-line six-cylinder 135i (and even the 123d for Europe) coupe, highly-placed sources insist the next-generation 1-Series will have a high-speed M flagship. Judging by our spy photos, it appears as if the sources may be leading on to the truth.
The baby M should line up against the next Audi S3, which would pitch its pricing at around the €35,000 mark in Europe, or probably $10,000 less than the next-generation M3 in North America.
With M now headed by former Mini brand manager Kay Segler, the idea of a hotter two-door has taken root in M division, with Segler insisting: “The priority right now is a more affordable model underneath the M3.”
It’s not likely to carry over the M3’s screaming V8 engine, though. Sources tell Leftlane that it will probably develop the 135i’s straight-six to punch out around the 330 hp mark. Because the power increase is fairly marginal at 30 extra hp over the 300 hp BMW 135i, this 1-Series M product will likely not sport the traditional “M” badging. In addition to not quite being up to the level of standards typically associated with the M badging, there is also a historical naming conflict coming into play.
“The M1 name to us is a sacred thing for a car that marked an important turning point. It won’t be called the M1,” a source told Leftlane.

Instead, as many sources have suggested, this performance coupe may likely be known as the 1-Series M.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/bmw-1-series-m.html

http://www.caradvice.com.au/64291/bmw-1-se...-version-spied/
Old 04-12-2010, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I really like the 1 Series. I would like it even more with an M badge as well.