Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

McLaren: Bugatti Veyron is "a complete piece of junk"

Old 04-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default McLaren: Bugatti Veyron is "a complete piece of junk"

Ron Dennis brands $2m Bugatti Veyron ‘piece of junk’
by Damian Reilly on Thursday, 01 April 2010

SPEED DEMON: The Veyron, which sells for close to $2m, has a top speed of 253mph. The executive chairman of McLaren Automotive, Ron Dennis, has slammed the Bugatti Veyron - the world’s fastest and most expensive roadcar - dismissing it as “a complete piece of junk”.
Dennis, whose company recently unveiled the MP4-12C supercar – a car he says will be the best sports car in the world – told Arabian Business: “The Bugatti Veyron is a complete piece of junk. I think it is. I believe I can look at a range of women and I can see beauty in most of them, but I can look at a Bugatti and I think it is pig ugly.

“The Veyron doesn’t do anything for me. I’ve been looking at it for years, and I don’t see one single thing that makes me feel good.”

His criticism extended beyond aesthetics. He said a recent televised road race organised by the BBC in Abu Dhabi between the Veyron and the McLaren F1 roadcar – the fastest roadcar in the world from its launch in 1992 until the Veyron was produced in 2005 – had to be rigged to make the Veyron look quicker than it was.

“I know that they have to cut the car open to take the engine out. To make an engine in that configuration, you know, it doesn’t go around corners. When we did the race in Abu Dhabi, we beat it off the line so many times that the film crew was getting frustrated because the outcome was supposed to be for the Bugatti to win.

“So we had to do that whole thing about ten times before it managed to get off the line cleanly and catch us up. Because every time they dropped the clutch it bogged down and we were gone.”

The McLaren F1, which sold for close to $1m until production ceased in 1998, has a recorded top speed of 243mph. The Veyron, which sells for close to $2m, has a top speed of 253mph.

The MP4-12C, which will be sold for close to $250,000 next year, is believed to boast a top speed in excess of 200mph.

Dennis said the production of the MP4-12C was costing in the region of $1.2bn, adding that 1,000 would be produced over the next twelve months, a figure that could then rise to 4,000 per year should demand prove sufficient.

“We are either going to lose an awful lot of money or we are going to make an awful lot of money, but there is nothing in between,” he said.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/585091-ron-...n-piece-of-junk