Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

No more Prowler....

Old 01-07-2002, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I've seen those Charger prototypes. They have a tight look to 'em.
Old 01-07-2002, 07:02 AM

Vehicle: 00 hyundai tib

Hey ya'll,
Have i driven it? Yes. I work at a Chrysler dealership. Is it okay, yup but it does need more HP to get those 20" movin. They could(with little mods) shoehorn the 4.7L from GR. Cherokee into it or even the new 3.7 from the liberty. Especially through that shifttronic you lose a lot of power.
Does it have "throw you back in the seat" feel? Yup. but so does a Tib if you gas it right.

I guess it's enough power but who doesnt want more power from something that isnt as fast as it looks.

As for the SSR, skinny is they putting a V-8 but it's going to be a little one out of the Full size truck (4.8L v-8 possibly) upwards of 250-280 but probably not break 300hp.

Hope that helps

[ January 07, 2002: Message edited by: Damien ]
Old 01-07-2002, 07:30 AM

Vehicle: Custom Wagon

Thanks for the info Damien but it wouldn't take much to get that thing well over the 300 mark. The charger kind of reminds me of the Impala.
Old 01-07-2002, 01:42 PM

I'd love to mod out a Prowler. The engine setup and empty pockets around the engine in the bay SCREAM for a twin-turbo setup. Draw cold air from the sides directly into the turbo filter, which is right on either side of the engine tight up against the block. Hell, you could even redo the exhaust and have two short mufflers dump the exhaust right off the sides by the doors, rather than snaking over the transmission and out the rear...

The engine may be tame in stock form, but there's a LOT of potential in it.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:42 AM

Look very close at the Charger protos. That car is a four door! If it was made it would probably compete with the Impala. It is two bad though because I hate they way they bastardized the Impala.
BTW the real reason that they are getting rid of the Prowler is because they are getting rid of the Plymouth name altogether. There is no real reason to have that brand anymore. Dailmer is suffering big over the merge w/Chrysler. Some of Dailmers biggest stock holders even tried to sue about it last year.

[ January 08, 2002: Message edited by: DESIGN ]
Old 01-08-2002, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by Iago:

a) Take a close look at the engine bay on the Prowler. Do YOU see a way to fit a monster Corvette engine in there??? You might as well go try to shoehorn that 'Vette engine into a PT Cruiser. It's not feasible. True, they COULD have made an 8 to fit the Prowler, but the car wasn't intended to be a speed demon. Dodge already has one of those, and they tagged it the Viper.

Actually, there are quite a few people who were unsatisfied with the power and decided to drop Corvette engines in them. Judging by the pictures, the V8 fit nicely in the engine compartment.

I don't see why the Prowler costs $46,000 yet doesn't have the power that the Corvette has. The Prowler isn't some space age design... it's just got a weird design, a poor Plymouth warranty, and only an automatic for this year. And with the pricing it's no surprise it's being discontinued. I'm surprised it lasted this long.

253hp going through an auto tranny lugging 2838 pounds of car. I'm sure it's quick but not quick enough for $46,000.
Old 01-08-2002, 01:20 AM

Originally posted by DESIGN:
BTW the real reason that they are getting rid of the Prowler is because they are getting rid of the Plymouth name altogether.

Yeah, I'd heard about that...one of the other options that Daimler/Chrysler was considering before they decided to discontinue the Prowler was to move it over to be under the Dodge label.
Old 01-08-2002, 03:32 AM

It is made on the same line that they make the Viper on. We can only hope that they come out with another remarkable car. They are currently tooling up for the next generation of Vipers.
Old 01-08-2002, 04:40 AM

Vehicle: Custom Wagon

Hey Design are you talking about the new Impalas or are you talking about the 94-96 model? I personally like the 94-96 model Impala SS but that new looks like ass.

Here's a pic of the prowler in RED

But I like the design of the four door charger looks tight. Here it's in ORANGE

[ January 08, 2002: Message edited by: Guilty ]
Old 01-08-2002, 05:18 AM

Agreed Guilty. And at least if you someone doesn't like the Caprice platform it at least had a LS1. The new one look like ass.
BTW no charger photo.

[ January 08, 2002: Message edited by: DESIGN ]