Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

No More Nagare Smile for Mazdas

Old 06-25-2010, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default No More Nagare Smile for Mazdas

They say in the article it's because the design chief is leaving Mazda, but I wonder if it doesn't have to do a small amount with the fact that there *may* have been some backlash to cars that look like this:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/23/nagare-...ling-direction/

According to Auto Express, Mazda Europe's British design boss Peter Birtwhistle has confirmed that the Japanese automaker will take on a new styling direction. Perhaps the news shouldn't come as a shocker, considering that former Mazda design head Franz von Holhausen, the man responsible for the previous styling direction of concepts like the Nagare and Furai, left Mazda for Tesla Motors back in 2008.

Further, Laurens van den Acker, who styled the latest Mazda5, left the Japanese automaker for Renault. As such, Birtwhistle told AE, "Nagare is done. After the 5, it's highly unlikely that there will be another Nagare car. Mazda has moved on." Apparently, Mazda found it rather difficult to apply the swoopy and flowing conceptual styling direction to production cars, specifically boxier shapes like that of the Mazda5.

We tend to agree with Mazda that the Nagare look is awesome on concepts but tough to translate to production. So, what's next? Apparently, Mazda will attempt to turn itself into a "Japanese Alfa Romeo," with an initial concept based on its new "Thrusting Motion" styling direction. We should see the fruits of this early effort at the upcoming Paris Motor Show.

Cool

Uncool
Old 06-25-2010, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i'll fill in his place as design chief. thankyou.

Franz von Holhausen had really cool designs. it's those focus group sh?ts that brought him down and implemented these smiley faces. they reasoned the smiley faces were on there because the economy was poor making people sad.

what a load of horseradish.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

The previous MS3 and MP5's looked great. Bring that back (bring back the MS6 while you're at it).
Old 06-25-2010, 12:47 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Accent

My bf has a Mazda and I make fun him all the time about it and the "smile" laugh.gif
Old 06-30-2010, 04:14 PM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Accent GS HB

you just look at that first pic and think "HAI GUYS, I CAN HAS ZOOM?"