Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

my brothers 1998 Cobra rebuild

Old 07-28-2011, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Wink my brothers 1998 Cobra rebuild

so last year i helped my brother pull his 4.6L motor from his 1998 Cobra. there was a bad knock in the bottom end. I suspected it was a thrown bearing in one of the rods, and sure enough, when we got her apart there was NO bearing at al in one of the connecting rods.

so he did his homework oh what would be an ideal replacement for the cobra, and he almost went with a 5.4L navigator swap, but after looking into it, it would have required more time and money than it was worth, so he got an aluminum Teksid block, built with forged pistons and rods, the teksid block is founded in the same factory that makes Ferrari motors. The stock crank on the 4.6 cobra is forged. so the entire bottom end is bullet proof. the stock heads were sent out and completely dismantled and cleaned up. so the top end is all new as well.

unfortunately i wasnt there for the first start up, as we ran into some problems late in the game. He was moving to another state, so in the last week he was here, we crammed and got the motor in and all the nuts and bolts tightened down. everything was together, it was a rolling chassis basically.

we had some issues with the main crank sensor not reading, the crank position so the last time i saw the stang was when i put it up on the car trailer to see him off to his new home. since then he fixed the crank sensor problem and had her dyno'd and he says shes running great.

i gotta hand it to my brother. He has never worked on an engine before this. not once! with his determination to learn about the stang, and my knowledge of tools and nuts and bolts, we got this done. unbelievably he alone put in the cams, the front timing assembly, and did all the legwork on studying what parts, gaskets, bolts, and studs he would need to put a 2003 motor in a 1998 chassis. together we put the heads on and torqued them down, put the exhaust together, and all the peripherals. im simply amazed at his tenacity, to go from knowing nothing about motors, to succesfully building a custom built forged Teksid block. just goes to show you that gasoline runs in the blood. experience is not really required. Thanks D.

because of this build, i learned so much about the SN-95 Mustang, and its predecessors. maybe one day i will build one of my own.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:03 PM

Vehicle: 2003 tiburon base

Pure american muscle !
Old 07-29-2011, 05:26 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

Great work you two
Old 07-29-2011, 07:33 PM

thanks brosef !
Old 07-29-2011, 09:45 PM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

Haha, nice bro! I've been wanting to throw some pics together and do a quick and build report, but as always, I put mad sh*t on my plate and things get put to the way side. She's goin strong with about 2,2xx miles on her. No leaks, no weird noises besides the squeaky front suspension. I gotta say, I would have never decided to tackle this tremendous task if you weren't there. You gave me that confidence, that it wasn't impossible and in fact it is very do-able. I knew that if I f'ed something up, you would be able to bail me out, which of course happened a few times, ha. Of course the gasoline in the blood helped. The stress, frustration, blood shed, money spent was all worth it in the end w/o a doubt. F' yea bro lets do another one!

Old 07-29-2011, 09:48 PM

I get compliments every time I take her out around here!

Old 07-29-2011, 10:06 PM

bahahaaaa. im sure you run into alot of mullets out there. awesome.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:30 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

^Yeah I'm so used to people overlooking the Tiburon, but when I was in my buddy's 5.0L 320hp V8 mustang convertible, so many unexpected people just stare at the car and want to chat ...and race!

This is my favorite mustang generation, apart from the original Italian design. The convertibles look high end and fun to drive in. I really love it.

My favorite Mustangs are the Cobra and Saleen versions. I even like the Saleen bumper the most:

Congratulations on getting it running! I am impressed that you started with no knowledge of how to do this, and turned out with one of the sickest builds a Mustang owner could only dream of. Great work. It must be a great feeling.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:38 PM

its pretty amazing how the GK version of the Tib was designed to mimic the style of the SN95 ! its obvious that they came from the same brainchild. just think of the foxbody that was 4 cylinder front wheel drive... GK front wheel drive 4cyl. hmmmm koreans were straight biting on a proven method ! and now the BK (genesis) RWD ! Ford has the science down pat.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Loneshark
bahahaaaa. im sure you run into alot of mullets out there. awesome.

yea I've seen some pretty sweet ones since i been here.

Originally Posted by HyundaiKitCoupe
^Yeah I'm so used to people overlooking the Tiburon, but when I was in my buddy's 5.0L 320hp V8 mustang convertible, so many unexpected people just stare at the car and want to chat ...and race!

This is my favorite mustang generation, apart from the original Italian design. The convertibles look high end and fun to drive in. I really love it.

My favorite Mustangs are the Cobra and Saleen versions. I even like the Saleen bumper the most:

Congratulations on getting it running! I am impressed that you started with no knowledge of how to do this, and turned out with one of the sickest builds a Mustang owner could only dream of. Great work. It must be a great feeling.

Yea when I had my 03' tib I didn't get much love. Not a lot of people recognize what the tib is. Add a hood and a lip kit and people are lost, ha. They just think, eh, foreign rice. Everybody recognizes a mustang, and the rumble and roar from the exhaust demands attention.

Yea when I got her I had next to no knowledge, but looked forward to learning while enjoying her. Got her in spring and spun the bearing mid summer so, I was forced to learn so I can fix the beast. She sat for over a year while I contemplated what route to go with it.