Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Mitsubishi Evo 8

Old 03-15-2005, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if there is any reason why a 4g63t is having problems is because someone is abusing the hell out of it. that is a tough engine
Old 03-15-2005, 07:47 PM

QUOTE (ArcticChill)
And getting an MR would be a stupid idea. You know what you're doing when you buy an MR? You're just paying more up front, when you could get an Evo or Eclipse/Talon for cheaper and spend a grand total as you would for the MR...but produce more power and better reliability.

Please remove your head from you ass.

First of all it all comes down to preference. Perhaps someone who is looking to by the MR edition doesn't want a run of the mill eclipse. I certainly would take an MR over an eclipse any day. I don't give two sh!ts if eclipses have more horsepower for the money. And you're paying more up front because its a BRAND NEW CAR and it has other options than just a turbocharged engine with AWD.

Bottom line is pretty much ANY car can be made into mega horsepower beasts with enough money, time, and resources. Hell I could probably shove a 63T into my car, but would it be practical? Hell no.

And another thing, not everyone is looking to make their car the ultimate horsepower machine. There are plenty of people like me who want ample horsepower but not too much because they have to drive it everyday and don't wanna spend money on new head gaskets, pistons rings, sh!t like that all the time.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:52 PM

on a similier car, my friends STI's engine blew, after alotta fightiting, he got the engine replaced cuz he lew the old one. The car was brand new less then 5000 miles. They were reluctant to chagne it though, he took out all the mods he done to it before he took it to them.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:15 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (evan938)
(assuming no mods, caus i know they are STRICT with mods)...i

The few dealers I've went to have no problems with modifications... and I've take it in there running 17 PSI.

Tibbychick, while I understand where your coming from, most people wouldn't buy a Evo for passing performance or for a fun weekend car. Evo owners are quite frankly, exactly as someone said, like GK owners. Except worse. I doubt an Evo even gets used as a four-door passenger car, even though it has 4 doors.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:38 PM

QUOTE (ArcticChill)

And getting an MR would be a stupid idea. You know what you're doing when you buy an MR? You're just paying more up front, when you could get an Evo or Eclipse/Talon for cheaper and spend a grand total as you would for the MR...but produce more power and better reliability.

As nice as the AWD Eclipses are, I really doubt they hold a candle to the handling abilities of the Evo. The EVO8 is a tamed down rally machine, the AWD Eclipse was a hotted up hatch. There IS a difference.

As for the MR, Sport Compact Car said it best.. you pay more for less. No wing, no Abs.. but you get that great front LSD and a lighter, more responsive car.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:04 PM

^^ He does have a point... although my Eclipse does handle a hell of a lot better than the Tib, I think an Evo would hand me my ass in a road course. My Eclipse has always been modified for a straight line than a curve though.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

The evo engines are fine. There's no problem with them. I know a few people real well who have Evo's and the only problems I know of is that the clutch is not as strong as it should be, and will cost nearly $2,000 to replace. Doing a 7500 launch isn't good. The tranny also isn't as strong as it should be, but they're damn fast. It's easy to burn up the clutch, but I also know a guy who has nearly 20,000 miles on his and no clutch problems at all. You just can't launch it too hard, they're very brittle
Old 03-15-2005, 10:49 PM

We just traded my wifes neon (yuck) for a Lancer. Not the evo but still. That little car handles great. Lots of room for mods and all. Out of everyone i talked to before we bought the car no one has had a single problem (with or without mods) with the engine. Its a ton better than the neon (not that it takes much to do that) but still i like it even though its not a 5-speed. Wish i could have afforded the Evo version but well funds just arent there!
Old 03-16-2005, 06:04 AM

I've heard about the clutches as well... however I would never rev to 7500 and drop it unless your racing for a grand or so. I launch @ 4500 on the GSX and still get great 60' times, but eh.

I know the engines are very strong and take an upwards of 500hp fairly easily. STis are a different stroy, they're weak little buggers.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:54 PM

... Evo owners are quite frankly, exactly as someone said, like GK owners. Except worse. I doubt an Evo even gets used as a four-door passenger car, even though it has 4 doors.

I don't think i'm like a Gk owner. I simply like Evo's, and I think the MR edition has a very nice interior. And the MR's do have wings, who said they didnt? Or the one at the dealer did anyway..

I was thinking about just a Lancer because it's cheaper, and I think it looks good too. Would it work to get a lancer, and just put your own turb on it? I saw a pretty sweet lancer the other day with an evo hood on it. Unless it was an evo..but im pretty sure it was just a lancer lolz

Whats the diff between evo 8 and evo MR? I saw 2 at the dealer, one was a MR the other just said evolution on it. I guess it was an 8.