Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Mitsubishi Evo 8

Old 03-15-2005, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007
Default Mitsubishi Evo 8

I've heard that Evo's engine is good only for firs 25,000 km (15,000 miles). Is it true?
Old 03-15-2005, 09:42 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Source?
Old 03-15-2005, 09:43 AM

No, the 4g63t usually lasts for at least 60,000 miles. Then they start to have problems.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:56 AM

QUOTE (MK3Design)
Source?

1. crazy BMW forum
2. read in Internet, don't remember where.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:40 PM

dont all new mitsubishis carry a 5 year/60k mile bumper to bumper and 10 year 100k mile powertrain warranty (assuming no mods, caus i know they are STRICT with mods)...i think they started that warranty a couple years ago to compete w/ hyundai/kia
Old 03-15-2005, 12:51 PM

Serious?
Are evo's really that bad?
I was lookin into gettin an EVO MR Edition..
Old 03-15-2005, 01:55 PM

The EVO engine is not only as good as any other import, but probably better than average. Defiitely MUCH LONGER lifetime than 25,000 KM or even Miles.
Now, there are surely some owners that beat their cars really bad and are stupid enough not to take care of them properly, but that kind of abuse would turn any engine (Mercedes, BMW, Hyundai, Toyota or whatever) into trash.
The only difference is that being turbocharged, they tend to suffer from turbo gasket failure, when you have been driving hard or in the highway for a long period the engine (and thus the turbo) get's really hot, and if you come suddenly into a stop and turn ignition off, the cooling liquid reaches very high temperature (because it's not circulating anymore) and the seals (is that correct english???) in the turbo get oil scorch and they deteriorate.
Nothing than waiting for 30" to a minute at idle speed before turing off (or a turbotimer) can't prevent; as well as changing your oil regularly and checking your coolant level constantly.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:56 PM

QUOTE (evan938)
dont all new mitsubishis carry a 5 year/60k mile bumper to bumper and 10 year 100k mile powertrain warranty (assuming no mods, caus i know they are STRICT with mods)...i think they started that warranty a couple years ago to compete w/ hyundai/kia

In Ukraine it is something like this - 3 years and 100k km on all mitsubithi cars, except EVO, on EVO - 1 year.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:21 PM

With all of the competition out there, I find it hard to believe that this is true. I have worked for several electronics manufacturers in the past and if you put out a product that doesn't last, then you can forget about making money. Unless a company is out to rip people off (and I doubt Mitsu is), then they are going to try and make a quality product that lasts as this is the only way to retain and receive new customers.

25,000km is an EXTREMLY short life for an engine. With today's cars, I would expect a normally serviced engine to last close to 200,000 mi if not abused.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:48 PM

Wow. So much blasphemy. Think about it...the 4G63T block has been out for more than 15 years or so...and Mitsu's done a lot more R&D work on that block alone, so hearing the engine blow @ 15k miles is complete BS, and it sounds like some ricer decided to hook up a 200HP shot of nitrous to get it faster.

Of course...with modifications done by turboing the block, in comparsion with the stock non-turbo'd Beta block, it IS expected that the life expectancy of the 4G63T to be a little less than that of the Beta block. DSM guys know this, and a large group of Evo guys are like little ricers these days...so most of them wouldn't know (kinda like some arrogant GK guys knowing nothing about the Betas, and going for the Delta). DSM guys know how to protect their cars by going through with some bulletproofing methods (check the bulletproof section in the performance section).

And getting an MR would be a stupid idea. You know what you're doing when you buy an MR? You're just paying more up front, when you could get an Evo or Eclipse/Talon for cheaper and spend a grand total as you would for the MR...but produce more power and better reliability.

Same goes for the STi. The EJ20/EJ22 engines are so much more superior than the 2.5L Boxster engine in the STi.

Ask yourself this question in the end: would you want to pay more up front, and spend less on mods later? Or pay less up front, and pay for more mods...that can result in more HP in the end? Think about it.