Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Anyone Want To Share Their Opinions On Celica's?

Old 01-22-2007, 10:57 PM
MKE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a new car, i wouldn't mind a tiburon again, but i would rather buy one not as a daily driver.

So, i'm looking at a toyota ceclica. Again, an 01 GTS w/ 6 speed tranny.

The reviews i've read on them all say the car is great and reliable, but i'm hoping someone here owns one/knows someone who does and can help me out.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:42 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

meh, if you're getting a celica might as well get a used new tiburon in my opinion nicer and less frequent. your choice really.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:48 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

celicas are pieces of shit, they are slow, ugly, and they are called a "celica"... but its all about what you like lol thats what I think
Old 01-22-2007, 11:51 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

they are on the expensive side
Old 01-23-2007, 01:00 AM

Ive only driven the older ones and i realy liked those. Nice comfertable cars, not very racy tho.....

Ive ridden in my friends 01 quite a bit, and i think its a pretty good car. His is a pretty base model i think, butits comfortable to ride in and its got enough pep to make it fun. Personaly Id prefer a tiburon to a celica just for the "whats that?" factor, and the price would be an issue for me (01s still pull 10k here some times).
Old 01-23-2007, 06:08 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Good points:

- good motor/tranny, the GTS are pretty fast
- fun to tach it up to above 8k
- holds value well

Bad points:
- hard to drive fast "keeping the car in "lift" is a term you will hear
- a very popular body style so you kind of lose the uniqueness factor

QUOTE (KAW21100 @ Jan 23 2007, 06:48 AM)
celicas are pieces of shit, they are slow, ugly, and they are called a "celica"...

A stock GTS would ass rape any N/A Tib basically. High 14s stock (aka what I did with I/H/E/BBTB/Air-Ram, and my times are faster than 99% of people that went to the track N/A).
Old 01-23-2007, 07:16 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

in all wierdness there isnt really much of a aftermarket for the GTS other than appearance things

most people end up gettin lotus parts lmao.gif
Old 01-23-2007, 08:27 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

GTS is a serious machine. good looks, good speed.

only thing is that the early 90's gts are still faster due to their 2.4L engine. it might not have valve timing but the diffrence in displacement is fairly large. i had a buddy with a 91 gts and we would rutinely serve up new gts's.

i would say just lookin into it further see what happens.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:48 AM

ok, at one point people probably remember that i was going to sell my tib to buy another car, that other car is the exact car you're talking about.
I love the celica, its an amazing car, i love the engine especially i did my fair share of research on that car and its all good.

the celica rated at 180hp is still a very fast car, its a drivers race between the first gen rsx which is rated at 200hp. The celica is very light one of the lightest cars in its class, its even lighter than a RD tibby. Styling has so much potential and i think the car looks great.
hamhead is right about the "lift". The celicas have vvtl-i (lift) which is like honda's vtec. It engages at about 6200rpms and screems after that, the problem is that you have to be a very good and precise driver to keep the car in "lift" or you'll drop the rpm's down too low and out of the power band. the trick is that the redline is at about 7800rpms but you actually need to shift around 8250 in order to get all the power and stay in lift for the next shift. The 2002 models are slower because the fuel cut off is actually at the redline so you cant go past and cant stay in lift all the time. Theres a way around it by swaping the ecu's but more hassle.
The other thing is that the engine has high compression 11.5:1 so boosting the GT-S you would have to lower the compression first to be safe.

overall i love this car and still do, i think the only problem that i can find is that its front wheel drive but other than that its a great car. It is a little pricey but if you could find a good deal then go for it. It's capable of high 14's like ham said if driven properly. The interior is ok, could be better, most come with a gray dash which is bleh, but everything else is fine.

so thats my 2 cents on the celica, hope that helps
Old 01-23-2007, 09:52 AM

I thought the Celica was replaced by the TC already. Are they putting the celica back out again?