Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/automotive-news-other-vehicle-discussions-20/)
-   -   Anyone Want To Share Their Opinions On Celica's? (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/automotive-news-other-vehicle-discussions-20/anyone-want-share-their-opinions-celicas-40759/)

MKE 01-22-2007 10:57 PM

I'm looking for a new car, i wouldn't mind a tiburon again, but i would rather buy one not as a daily driver.

So, i'm looking at a toyota ceclica. Again, an 01 GTS w/ 6 speed tranny.

The reviews i've read on them all say the car is great and reliable, but i'm hoping someone here owns one/knows someone who does and can help me out.

HyundaiKitCoupe 01-22-2007 11:42 PM

meh, if you're getting a celica might as well get a used new tiburon in my opinion nicer and less frequent. your choice really.

Carrera 01-22-2007 11:48 PM

celicas are pieces of shit, they are slow, ugly, and they are called a "celica"... but its all about what you like lol thats what I think

Jay-M 01-22-2007 11:51 PM

they are on the expensive side

LoonWulf 01-23-2007 01:00 AM

Ive only driven the older ones and i realy liked those. Nice comfertable cars, not very racy tho.....

Ive ridden in my friends 01 quite a bit, and i think its a pretty good car. His is a pretty base model i think, butits comfortable to ride in and its got enough pep to make it fun. Personaly Id prefer a tiburon to a celica just for the "whats that?" factor, and the price would be an issue for me (01s still pull 10k here some times).

hamhead 01-23-2007 06:08 AM

Good points:

- good motor/tranny, the GTS are pretty fast
- fun to tach it up to above 8k
- holds value well

Bad points:
- hard to drive fast "keeping the car in "lift" is a term you will hear
- a very popular body style so you kind of lose the uniqueness factor

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KAW21100 @ Jan 23 2007, 06:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>celicas are pieces of shit, they are slow, ugly, and they are called a "celica"...</div>

A stock GTS would ass rape any N/A Tib basically. High 14s stock (aka what I did with I/H/E/BBTB/Air-Ram, and my times are faster than 99% of people that went to the track N/A).

faithofadragon 01-23-2007 07:16 AM

in all wierdness there isnt really much of a aftermarket for the GTS other than appearance things

most people end up gettin lotus parts lmao.gif

optimoprime 01-23-2007 08:27 AM

GTS is a serious machine. good looks, good speed.

only thing is that the early 90's gts are still faster due to their 2.4L engine. it might not have valve timing but the diffrence in displacement is fairly large. i had a buddy with a 91 gts and we would rutinely serve up new gts's.

i would say just lookin into it further see what happens.

NightShark 01-23-2007 09:48 AM

ok, at one point people probably remember that i was going to sell my tib to buy another car, that other car is the exact car you're talking about.
I love the celica, its an amazing car, i love the engine especially i did my fair share of research on that car and its all good.

the celica rated at 180hp is still a very fast car, its a drivers race between the first gen rsx which is rated at 200hp. The celica is very light one of the lightest cars in its class, its even lighter than a RD tibby. Styling has so much potential and i think the car looks great.
hamhead is right about the "lift". The celicas have vvtl-i (lift) which is like honda's vtec. It engages at about 6200rpms and screems after that, the problem is that you have to be a very good and precise driver to keep the car in "lift" or you'll drop the rpm's down too low and out of the power band. the trick is that the redline is at about 7800rpms but you actually need to shift around 8250 in order to get all the power and stay in lift for the next shift. The 2002 models are slower because the fuel cut off is actually at the redline so you cant go past and cant stay in lift all the time. Theres a way around it by swaping the ecu's but more hassle.
The other thing is that the engine has high compression 11.5:1 so boosting the GT-S you would have to lower the compression first to be safe.

overall i love this car and still do, i think the only problem that i can find is that its front wheel drive but other than that its a great car. It is a little pricey but if you could find a good deal then go for it. It's capable of high 14's like ham said if driven properly. The interior is ok, could be better, most come with a gray dash which is bleh, but everything else is fine.

so thats my 2 cents on the celica, hope that helps

bboyitim 01-23-2007 09:52 AM

I thought the Celica was replaced by the TC already. Are they putting the celica back out again?

NightShark 01-23-2007 10:08 AM

hes lookin at a 2001 model, its everywhere in this thread mang, lol

bboyitim 01-23-2007 10:18 AM

LOL! I should really learn how to read one of these days... tongue.gif

MKE 01-23-2007 11:42 AM

ok, thanks a lot for the helpful posts.

I really like the looks of it, and believe it or not, they are very uncommon around here. and damn near impossible to find. that's why if i do get one, I'm going to be flying to pick it up and drive it back.

i've also read up on the engine (vvtl-i) "issue", and i can live with that. the only thing that i know will get annoying is having to use the premium fuel because of the high compression ratio.(probably dont have to, but all the "consumer reviews" said you do)

and as for aftermarket support goes, that doesnt really bother me. i never really did anything to my tib except the cai.

but i'm still looking...i really want one of these cars...but i've also looked at a few v6 tibs.

mwood 01-23-2007 01:22 PM

for my 2 cents...

just go with what you want...all cars have pro and cons...

but if i was in your position i would get a used new tiburon

SwiftTiburon 01-23-2007 04:07 PM

Pleasee get a tib..

I just dont like Celicas all that much. Way too expensive for the package, and I just dont like the hp/torque ratios. But as everyone says do what you like, its all up to you.

BlizagaXx 01-27-2007 10:50 AM

I dunno... My buddies got a slowica and its "ok", but it just doesnt wow me. He's poured paidcheck after paidcheck into it, and it still is, well, a slowica. It IS the gt model, but he has a catback (only rear section), dc header, injen intake, tweaked performace module, and an AEM pulley. Still getting it handed to him by sentras. They are farrrrrrrrrr too common. I drive from my house to my girlfriends house (2 blocks away) and I pass 7. 2 GT-S, and 5 GT's. 6 are driven by girls mind you. They completely suck ass to work on. Have fun with the headlights, either bulbs or assemblies. The car is a big big hassle for a loto of things. Plus the thing looks ridiculously high even on larger rims, so invest in some rims and coilovers soon. Check toyota because a part of the master cylinder i believe was recalled, and was the daytime running lights. I'd stay just stick with the tib. They have the best warranty in the business for a reason, and with some weight reduciton and performance, you can make a ......gk...... nice too. IMO, go with a tib, but to each their own. I chose my rd1 over a gt celica. Good luck man.

hamhead 01-27-2007 10:56 AM

There is a hell of a difference between the GT and GT-S.

Pretty much every company does 10 year/10k mile now anyway, and the standard dropdown to 5 year/60k when bought used.

JH~Tibby 01-27-2007 01:00 PM

My girlfriend has an 04 and its really nice. Awesome cars.

Blaze 01-27-2007 01:21 PM

if youre looking at a newer tib, id say go for it even knowing i love my rd2 i still dont mind driving my gk to work

MKE 01-27-2007 03:43 PM

well, from what i found out today I'm not going to be getting either (tib or celica) but instead a black 07 3lt Cobalt w/ pretty much all options except I'm getting a 5 speed. I've got to go back monday to do the credit app (no problem) but i want to find out what my insurance is going to be before i commit to it.

It wasn't my choice. but my dad, being a Chevy car salesman, and with me getting the gm discount from my family working at Delphi, it just seems like a more logical choice. It's only a 5 year/100,000 mile warranty (i'm getting complete bumper to bumper for that time period) but with how much i drive (around 25k a year) i think I'll be better off with it.

First thing I'm doing is getting a set of coil overs. even before a cai or anything else. the car is to damn high (especially compared to a tib) and with that, and saving up for a decent body kit, ill be happy.

but don't worry, when i get my new job (around 14$ an hour) i will be saving up to buy another rd2. after driving the cobalt, even an SS, i really miss driving the tib. the ss didn't pick up nearly as nice as the tib did, and the rev limiter is at a crappy 6500 rpms.

Decco 01-27-2007 05:00 PM

aw 02.gif have fun with the cobalt..

NightShark 01-27-2007 05:31 PM

02.gif

hamhead 01-27-2007 07:09 PM

Ew.

Should've GM Discounted a Corvette. cool.gif

MKE 01-27-2007 07:30 PM

^^ I will never own a 'vette. i think they are ugly, wide, and I'm not over 60 so i don't think i can own one. i would much rather spend the money on an Evo 8...which is more then likely what my next car will be. (since this car will have a trade in value more then 3 grand after 4 years- another reason i don't want a tib)

I know it's not a tib, and trust me i really don't want it. but with how much i get off, and being new, it seems like a logical choice to make.

plus, dont worry. hope is not lost yet. I'm going tomorrow to test drive a gk v6...i just cant find a Celica to test drive (gt or gts), so i would be buying one having no idea what one's like.

NightShark 01-27-2007 08:24 PM

goodluck on whatever your fate brings you

NY Turbulance 01-28-2007 04:49 PM

My close buddy who also works at the shop with me owns a 2000 celica GT-S, it had about 56,000mi on it and he got it for $14,900. The VVTL-I engine is amazing,a 4 cylinder with 24valves, and its a 1.8L., high lift cams, and the "variable valve timing and lift with intellgence" kicks in at 5950 rpm and goes all the way to 8300. It's got such a mean sounds to it, it sounds turboed but its definitly not. The only problems with other cars hes been having are STI's, but i've been in this car going 155mph, of course with additional mods. For the money, why not? yeah its a fast car, and the 6 speed is just an added bonus. But in your case he gets smoked by the same Cobalt SS all the time.

HyundaiKitCoupe 01-28-2007 07:22 PM

cobalts give me the same feeling coffee mixed with mustard gives me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I'm not over 60 so i don't think i can own one</div> reminds me of when i saw an 80 year old man on crutches getting into one. too funny yet so true you've got to be much american to drive one, kind of like those 80's movies with the preppy john basedow looking high school hotshot driving one, except todays standards would convert that to gray-haired golfing CEO's. lmao.gif

i believe a car is what you are. some people disapprove of my standard, but think about it like shoes. people wear cool nice shoes are usually cool and mostly nice. people who wear sandals on a night out... good luck with that.

SwiftTiburon 01-28-2007 07:41 PM

Well, good luck with whatever car you get man. We may not like it but we wont hate ya for it.

MKE 02-01-2007 10:37 PM

Well, the cobalt i was supposed to get, i guess had some special anti fade coating sprayed on it, and i had to pay for it, but they werent giving me the 5 year warranty because it was being transfered to my dads place. and yeah, the black one is gone and i really dont want one. but there's a yellow one with the same crap that i might be stuck taking.

but anyway, i Test drove a GTS today. and holy crap! not only is the acceleration really steady and quick under the 6000rpm point, once the lift kicks in you are once again pushed back into your seat. Only problem i have with it, is, well- after 5 seconds and in 2nd gear, your already 10mph over the legal speed limit. And if i never speed ( speeding being like 10-15 over), the needle stays in 1/3rd of the speedometer. lol, might not sound like a problem, but you get all excited, and your flying- but then you have to stop....

it handles damn nice too. not quite as good as the tib, but way better then a cobalt. I was told 16,900 for an 02, silver, all options, 37000 miles, and a 5 year 50,000 bumper to bumper warranty...(from another reputable dealer).

or there's a white '00 gts with all options, 54000 miles, no warranty for 10,500. I really don't think i need the warranty, as everything i've read on these cars list them as being extremely reliable and not having any major defects. (except the syncros, which is common through all tranny's it seems)

Carrera 02-02-2007 08:17 AM

A celica?!?!?! lol damn man, I guess you never mashed 2nd in your tib then. Celicas = slowwwwwww. I don't mean to kill your excitement, but damnnn lol.

Base model cobalt is a piece, you gotta go SS supercharged, only way to own a cobalt laugh.gif them things fly. Especially GM performance division's time attack cobalt SS.

hamhead 02-02-2007 08:31 AM

2nd gear in a GTS > 2nd gear in the Tib.

Hate to break it to ya man, but Tibs are slow. lmao.gif

GTS really are a fun car to drive, and as you said, they are hearty little cars with a good reliability factor. Slap some N/A bolt-ons and you got a solid daily driver.

Carrera 02-02-2007 08:49 AM

Well, I guess im just an amazing driver then laugh.gif

oooooo, the mysterious 2002 appears yet again, GO Delta! fing02.gif

0-60, 1/4 mile
2002 Hyundai Tiburon GT V-6 7.1 15.6

2002 Toyota Celica GTS 7.3 15.6

hamhead 02-02-2007 08:57 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NightShark @ Jan 23 2007, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>The 2002 models are slower because the fuel cut off is actually at the redline so you cant go past and cant stay in lift all the time.</div>

He was looking at a 2001 without the annoying cut... high 14s, flat 15s. Sure, test drove the 02 but its still got quite the kick once it hits lift even though you can't keep it in it during shifts which drags down the times. The GK is a lumbering blubberball. GT-S is a high compression revver, which is a pissload of fun. Times might be the same, but revving each motor out 4 people out of 5 will prefer the GT-S.

We're talking Betas here anyway.

You can consider yourself an amazing driver when you post timeslips beating my bolt-on N/A times, mod for mod. wink1.gif

KCVoRTeX 02-02-2007 11:27 AM

one other problem with GTS is the lift bolts or something like that (I can't remember exactly what it's called look around on a celica forum) going out... so if you do get one look into getting stronger aftermarket lift bolts

MKE 02-02-2007 04:06 PM

KAW21100, i don't car what you say, the gts would kill my old tib (rd2 w/ only a cai) i dont want to go fi, so thats awesome for me. and while the gt celica's might be slow (never driven one) the gts got up to 80 damn quick. much, much quicker then my tib, and it was even quicker then the cobalt 1SS (non-supercharged).

and the 02 i drove, i thought it would have the fuel cut off too, but i had the needle into the red, and the line never cut off...so idk.

and on the bolts, i am aware of that, and those would be covered under the warranty i'm getting with it (already asked). also, i thought i read somewhere that there is a recall on them. or maybe just a tsb(?) thing.

now, the high compression is the one thing i know i wont like. having to put the premium fuel into it for it to run good. i think the guy only put regular in it (it was empty, and he used the business card).

Whiplash 02-07-2007 06:58 AM

KAW21100 has no idea what hes talking about. My friend has a 2003 GT and it feels a little faster then my old tib. I havent been in a GTS but I would assume it would kill a tib.

bboyitim 02-07-2007 09:15 AM

Yeah the Celica's rape the Tibby's unfortunately... sad.gif

IronFox 02-07-2007 11:41 AM

Before i bought my tib in oct, i almost bought a 95 celica gt. My dream car is a celica but unfortunatly the guy backed out at the last minute 02.gif . But overall im glad he did, the tibs got 30k less miles, every option, and cleaner. I say go with it!

MKE 02-07-2007 02:55 PM

Well, i couldnt get the one i originally wanted.

but i'm (hopefully) going this weekend to pick up an '00 Toyota Celica GTS. White with every option (well, minus the automagic transmission).

KCVoRTeX 02-07-2007 07:05 PM

GT celica 140BHP from the factory, RDtib 140BHP... but the celica's are about 200-300 lbs lighter then us.
GTS 180BHP

I've only ever raced a GT celica before.... my roomate has one and I beat him almost every time and my best ET is .2 seconds faster then his =P

Celica's are nice and while there isn't much performance wise you can do to them... they have a rediculous amount of cosmetic upgrades available.

and yes do NOT get the auto GTS... it's actually slower then the GT because of the way it shifts