Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

1997 Hyundai Tiburon makes "Top 20 Most influential cars of the '90's" list

Old 03-07-2013, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent
Default 1997 Hyundai Tiburon makes "Top 20 Most influential cars of the '90's" list

Made it on a list with some damn nice cars...

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/most-...ars-of-the-90s
Old 03-07-2013, 12:25 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

That is.

BADASS.

The Tiburon was Hyundai's first trip outside the box from a design standpoint. The swoopy coupe laid the groundwork for the styling revolution the Korean automaker is putting on the road today.

Finally, people agree with me. The styling and technical advancements of the Tiburon are found in today's Hyundais. They threw that along with Ferrari F50, McLaren F1, Dodge Viper, Porsche 911, NSX... WOW! Why they put a 2000 Tiburon in the picture do not know.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Nice to see the NSX, Syclone/Typhoon, Viper, RX-7, and Supra in the list with the Tib
Old 03-07-2013, 06:28 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I would hardly call the syclone/typhoon 'influential', same goes for the tiburon. Cool, certainly. Influential, no.

No mention of Audi Quattro, Subaru WRX, GT-R skyline, Saturn, Land Rover discovery?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Syclones/Typhoons are bad ass! My neighbor used to have one. It was in cherry condition and made many people jealous lol
Old 03-07-2013, 08:30 PM

same goes for the tiburon. Cool, certainly. Influential, no.

I see how it wouldn't but I could argue that it was particularly because it introduced the importance of passion and art as a sales strategy and not so much quality or innovative technology.

The VW OLD Beetle, Original Mini Cooper, and the Renault Twingo (believe it or not lol) made small cars cool.

The Tiburon took that to the next level. It not only made a small car cool, the Tiburon made the small car exotic.

Therefore it redefined the automotive industry. It did however have the wildest and most daring styling of them all.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:54 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I like the tib, I like the syclone/typhoon. They aren't game changers though.

it introduced the importance of passion and art as a sales strategy and not so much quality or innovative technology.

Tell me how it distinguishes itself from any of the following:

-alfa romeo GTV

-VW corrado

-ford probe

-fiat coupe

-toyota celica

-chevrolet beretta

-toyota paseo

-honda integra

-nissan NX

It was a step forward for hyundai, it is a cool car, but it isn't an influential car that triggered any sort of trend.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:13 AM
Administrator

Old 03-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Originally Posted by wheel_of_steel
I would hardly call the syclone/typhoon 'influential',
In my opinion that was what led to the muscle truck industry. SSR, Trailblazer SS, Ram SRT-10, F-150 Lightning etc. all have the Sy/Ty to thank for that.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:11 PM

I will confidently answer that.

-alfa romeo GTV

-VW corrado

-ford probe

-fiat coupe

-toyota celica

-chevrolet beretta

-toyota paseo

-honda integra

-nissan NX

From this list, only one car was made from the historic and notoriously advanced Pininfarina which has mainly designed sports cars for Ferrari and contracts industrial design firms to provide function with aesthetic. These cars include the foundations of Ferrari; 250; 360; 550; 308; Dino; Enzo; F355; Testarossa; F40; Jaguar XJ220; Lancia Stratos; and a couple of Rolls Royces just to give you an idea.

The GTV.

The GTV brings exotic luxury into a small compact package.

The interior looks like it's from 2013 not 1993!

The Fiat Coupe was designed by Chris Bangle (BMW) with the help of Pininfarina so cross that off too.

None of those cars on your list besides the GTV and Fiat Coupe (some I forgot like the Integra) bring fourth anything exotic, let alone look like they're a baby child of something completely wild like an F40. The Tiburon does inside and out.

I think of a car as a machine, but if the design offers something special and different then it's a bonus. Nothing that curved was ever done before unless you count the Porsche 959 which is why I strongly believe that Porsche (they used ItalDesign) had taken part in the design process. Nothing that shape has ever made presence before (for example: bubbled hatch, or curved bumpers resembling a shark or water). The Tiburon was a pioneer. It broke free from the simplicity of function, boredom, and technological limitations of previous cars. It pushed the limits of technology by bending sheetmetal and plastic to a perfection.

The anamorphic name itself was and IS hardly used in cars (which do not correlate with any of the cars on your list or my list). The logo itself is shaped like a shark. It's also matched to reflect the smooth flowing surfaces.

More importantly, this "fluidic sculpture" reappeared after the dull bland failed designs of the 2000's Hyundais enabling them to completely re-branding and restructuring Hyundai's image and bump them up to the world's fourth largest automaker.

So yes, I think it was a game-changer and much of the credit should be given to the Tiburon.