Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

1997 Hyundai Tiburon makes "Top 20 Most influential cars of the '90's" list

Old 03-09-2013, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

It broke free from the simplicity of function, boredom, and technological limitations of previous cars. It pushed the limits of technology by bending sheetmetal and plastic to a perfection.

• Nothing else looks like the VW corrado, it's unique in a good way. Additionally it is technically skilled.
  • Ford probe is technically skilled, plus the body curves are at least as adventurous as the RD
  • Toyota celica is like an RD tib, only reliable. Sufficiently curvy for me too.
  • Chevrolet beretta was quite mediocre mechanically, it did bring macho big car styling to the compact coupe game though.
  • I concede that the toyota paseo was quite bland.
  • The honda integra not only looks good, but brought forth unique technology across the board. In terms of styling you got quad headlights with projectors and almost a 'kamm tail'. It was also one of the leaders of the pack with excellent suspension, excellent engines, excellent reliability, and the type R pedigree to boot.
  • The nissan NX was also quite a unique vehicle. Great SR20 performance, unique styling with targa tops and class leading handling. You could argue that it has just as much individuality as the tiburon with better all round performance.

Also, 'design by pininfarina' is also something you can say about:

and

Not exactly scintillating vehicles IMHO.

Nothing that curved was ever done before

Apart from the celica, integra, NX, and probe, all of which were released three to six years prior to the RD.

I'm really not convinced that the tiburon was the leader of this pack, instead of a follower.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:17 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

The honda integra not only looks good, but brought forth unique technology across the board. In terms of styling you got quad headlights with projectors and almost a 'kamm tail'. It was also one of the leaders of the pack with excellent suspension, excellent engines, excellent reliability, and the type R pedigree to boot.

I agree with the technology part, but to me the Integra looks bland. Especially the interior! Very typical of bland Honda designs yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

You keep mentioning technology. I didn't mention technology because that's a separate playing field. If the Dodge Viper GTS only came with a 4-banger I'm sure it wouldn't be a hit. If it did have a 4-banger, the design is still revolutionary.

I don't want to mention technology because like I mentioned the Tiburon made cheap econoboxes cool therefore reiterating that it redefined cars in the same way that the original VW Beetle or Mini Cooper did. The VW Beetle and Mini Cooper were not technologically advanced.

Toyota celica is like an RD tib, only reliable. Sufficiently curvy for me too.
Apart from the celica, integra, NX, and probe, all of which were released three to six years prior to the RD.

I agree totally. Especially with those classic pop-up lights. It also has excellent quality. It does look like Hyundai copied it, however note that Hyundai had developed the HCD-1 in 1991, and the HCD-2 in 1992 years ahead of the 1993 Celica. The Probe was cool-looking and also had that curved design, but you cannot simply ignore the HCD 1-3. They were pioneers, and the brainstorm of the Tiburon. Infact, the HCD-1 was very close to being produced but it got canceled at the last moment in order to design a Coupe-like form and appeal to the commuter hatchback image that founded Hyundai (I've read about this in AutomobileMag long ago).

And I'm positive that Hyundai's ultimate goal, whether the HCD-1, 2, 3, or the Tiburon, wasn't to build a speed rocket corner-sweeping dragstrip-eating fire-breathing Jetsons space craft. It was to build a cheap, lightweight, small, nimble, fun-to-drive, compact, cargo-friendly, economic, cool-looking, distinctive, unique, sporty car that appealed to youth. That kind of revolution can be compared with the Beetle and Cooper.

These concepts (and HCD-3) are the Tiburon in early form. They brought "outside of the box" thinking from supercar manufacturers that did all kinds of wild things to compete with one-another during the late 1980's and 1990's.

Also, 'design by pininfarina' is also something you can say about:
Pininfarina is only a design firm. If an Asian company hired Pininfarina and told them they wanted distinctively Asian-looking toyboxes for Asian markets, then Pininfarina would do that. Asian markets are completely different from U.S., European, and Australian. Look at Pininfarina profile and how many awesome cars they've made compared to two petty Asian contracts.

I like your arguments, and we think alike because I totally understand where you're coming from. Perhaps I give the RD Tiburon too much credibility, but I really am convinced that it (if not the HCD 1-3, which I'm sure did their job of frightening many automakers) did revolutionize the automotive industry much like the anamorphic Ford Mustang did in 1962. I truly believe you don't just name a car after an animal (let alone design it in its theme, which is even rarer in automotive history!) and it becomes forgotten. Names like "Mustang", "Venom", "Viper", "Raptor", "Beetle", "Lotus", "Stingray", "Pony", "Cougar", and "Cobra" don't just bite the dust. "Tiburon" was a game changer.

When I find out once and for all who was responsible for the Tiburon design, I will let you know!
Old 03-13-2013, 01:28 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Cool yes, but not revolutionary. At least not enough to brush shoulders with the other cars on that list.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:58 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

We're back to where we originally started lol.

Remember that at the time, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Ford, Fiat, and Alfa were already reputable cars. Hyundai was just starting out, at least in the U.S. their turnover rate was a few thousand per year. Plus, the sales trends for those cars are never healthy. The Tiburon was the longest living of them all not counting the Scoupe!

For Hyundai to come up with the early HCD's which broke free from all bland linear elements that the 240, Integra, Scoupe, Celica, and the Probe had and inspired all automakers to follow, is revolutionary at least to me and I think For me the Tiburon is one of the very first cars that was 100% cartoon like the Viper in 1989.