Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.
View Poll Results: What would you choose?
Rebuild/overhaul stock engine
33.33%
Engine swap with supercharged engine
66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

1993 Celica ST, engine overhaul/rebuild or swap?

Old 06-25-2012, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2012 Genesis Coupe 3.8 RSPEC
Default 1993 Celica ST, engine overhaul/rebuild or swap?

So been sitting on this idea for about a number of months. I have a 1993 Celica ST that needs to have it's engine overhauled/rebuilt, but have been also thinking about having the engine swapped for a different supercharged engine. As is, the car gets great gas mileage with stock engine, roughly about 30-35ish with normal driving and engine still runs great after almost 20 years and 130k+ miles.. But due to age and several engine issues (all fluid leaks), the car now gets about 10 mpg less. Oh car also needs a new clutch, major slippage in the lower gears. I believe cost wise the overhaul/rebuild would be very close to the cost of an engine swap. Performance wise I'd be trading good mpg for more power/speed. Personally I don't need another sports car, I already have a Genesis Coupe so another sports car would not be an advantage. But c'mon, who doesn't like supercharged engines! So question for the gear heads out there is...rebuild/overhaul or engine swap??? What would you do???
Old 06-25-2012, 09:53 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Accent

Overhaul.

U have a fast Car, Why not have a good fuel car too.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:30 AM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

I vote Engine Swap, But only thing is, Most swaps are from JDM vehicles and are pulled out of junked yard cars. I have seen many SWAPS start and smoke or start and have RK. If you swap the motor I would also reccomend tearing it down and doing a full inspection on it, I am also in a Swap and am going through this with my drift car, 7MGTE finally got a casue of RK, there prone to it. So I have a 1jz block and a 2jz head i am smashing together. got all the parts, and have sorted throught the motor, Only things i have done is a 2jz water pump, and had the crank micro polished and cevlite bearings, should be a screamer. Suggest you do the same!
Old 06-26-2012, 08:18 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I vote ls1
Old 06-26-2012, 10:19 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Originally Posted by faithofadragon
I vote ls1
In an FF

LS4 maybe, but fitting that in a celica bay?

I am a big proponent of the "keep it in the family" engine swaps. That said there's plenty of 4A-GZE swaps into MRs and its an especially common swap for the AE92 and AE101. Would be my recommendation. Find a JDM supplier of reputation, rebuild from the ground up and get rid of the SC and go with a modest turbo.

A cheaper alternative might be a redtop sr20det with Pulsar GTi-R trans or US spec H22. Both are fabulous motors and the H22 is especially underrated and come cheep all day, though the SR will have better quality aftermarket support. Of course for an SR of quality you're taking $4-5k with trans. Maybe Less being Hawaii. I know that the JDM representation there is freaking amazing. On our trip on Hawaiʻi along Hwy 11 alone we saw a Kenmari, HR30, Evo5 and an RX3.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:31 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Originally Posted by Tibbi
In an FF

LS4 maybe, but fitting that in a celica bay?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C0veAb-CiM[/media]

has a dumb jap crap of a v8 but you get the idea
Old 06-26-2012, 10:46 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Cant view Utube videos at work.

As for the swap, I never said impossible, but the difficulty level would be silly.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:44 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Genesis Coupe 3.8 RSPEC

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm eventually going to swap engines if I can find a good condition 4agze engine. I thought about keeping the car stock and overhauling, but supercharger keeps screaming in my head. Plus this way it will keep me from trying to modify my Genesis Coupe, lol. The Celica can at least be my play car.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:44 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Trust a celica to understeer during a burnout

I'm going to roll with no swap for celica. I love swaps mang, but it just seems like a very non-specific car to pour your hours into.