Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

New WRX to have a electric turbo??!?

Old 07-01-2012, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra
Default New WRX to have a electric turbo??!?

clicky

from looking around what i gather is(and this is what i interpret from like 4 other places) there will be a "turbo" on the exhaust that generates electricity to power a air pump(for lack of a better term) in the intake

from what they "say" is NO charge pipe, NO need for a intercooler, and NO lag

sounds good on paper....although sounds like a huge pain for the tuner market. really now how are you gonna build enough power to blow up the transmission? i mean that is the goal with the subaru fan boys right?
Old 07-01-2012, 10:37 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

an OEM turbonator?
Old 07-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I actually had this idea years ago. My idea was to somehow separate the turbine and compressor to help keep the charge air cooler. I wanted to either use a hydraulic or electric drive system. The benefit of electric is that the ECU can decide when and how much boost to deliver based on demand. To improve fuel economy, the ECU could spin the turbo just fast enough to keep it from being an obstruction in the intake without producing boost at all rpm's (0 mm Hg Vac) until the throttle pedal is depressed passed 50%. It could also spin the turbo at 100% right off idle for use with some sort of launch control. The turbine would produce electricity by turning a generator and charging a battery. This battery would have to be separate from the car's starting battery just due to the fact that lead acid batteries and not designed for fast discharge. If they could design it to be efficient and have minimal energy loss through energy transfer, it could work brilliantly. The difference between this and an ebay "electric turbo" is that this is an actual compressor side being spun electrically and not a ducted fan that spins to slowly to produce boost. This also uses wasted exhaust heat to generate the electricity rather that causing parasitic loss through extra demand on the alternator.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:23 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Hyundai Genesis 2.0T

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Inta...ht_6944wt_1102

lol wat a joke
Old 07-01-2012, 11:36 AM

aaron i like your idea, although i would add couldnt you just get rid of the alternator all together by equipping it to the exhaust side?

hell how about a turbine powered generator attached to a electric supercharger a la knight enginnering?

the added weight would be offset by reduction in parasitic loss from a alternator

Old 07-01-2012, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

I know quite a bit about the Knight setup. It draws far too much current to run off an exhaust driven turbine. This is why they use a high output alternator and several large batteries. Those three motors are starter motors, so you get an idea of the current draw. An exhaust driven turbine would be able to produce just enough to run the compressor. You wouldn't be able to replace the car's alternator with an exhaust driven generator for this same reason.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't forget that a regular turbo compresses the energy twice (air push to rotate to air push) if you have ANY conversion in the middle, you are converting at LEAST four times. Using a turbine to drive a generator sounds neat until you start converting energy so many times. Air push to rotation to drive a generator, to electrical, to rotation in the motor, to air push. All conversions involve losses and they add up quick.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, but the turbine would be producing all the time and the compressor would only be using on demand. Same principle as the electric propulsion side of a hybrid car.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:21 PM

hmmm if thats the case, in theory

would it be possible to install a smaller battery in hybrids using the same tech?

example:

small lightweight hybrid

small 3 cyl fwd engine

turbine powered generation

2 electric motors on rear wheels

would be pretty damn easy to get 130ish hp out of a setup like that, and only using the electric motors when needed

lets face it only time you really notice how much hp you have is when its floored so during normal cruising a sub 80hp engine could be pretty damn efficient

and if the generation can maintain a steady charge to a much smaller battery, weight would be cut
Old 07-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Not trying to be a dick, but I think you don't quite understand how much current is required by large electric motors. The turbine side of a turbo would have to turn a generator for a few days to create enough electricity to turn a 20HP A/C propulsion motor for a few seconds.