Wanted Items wanted by individuals. Abuse of this forum will lead to loss of your posting privledges.

Gaugin Interest

Old 10-14-2005, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im looking at buying a lap top sometime within the next month or two and i was just seeing what people had out there and what would be good. It will be for school and my major is Industrial Design/ Graphic Design. any suggestions....im kind of lookin for affordable and not outrageous lol. i dont have to have the best just a decent lap top. i odnt know much about them so w/e info you give i will have to relay back to my dad cool.gif
Old 10-14-2005, 08:30 AM

You should take a look at this Laptop Gateway Laptop

I know its from the home shopping network, but they have really good deals. I have just about that same laptop. Only mine is the Athlon 64-bit 3400+ Processor and a 80gb hard drive. But I paid about $1300 for it. They don't even sell these through Gateway. I love this laptop, it is fast, the video is great. I watch movies on it and the picture quality is awsome. I even play games and they run really smooth. I look in the stores for laptops and most of them don't even offer the 1gb of memory for this price. They have other ones at that site for you to take a look at too.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:33 AM

Get the DELL 9300. Comes with a PCI express Graphics and a great 17 inch Widescreen. I know people who got it for $1100 and some change new from DELL.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:08 AM

^^what about this..... http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/con...c=i6000rs&s=dhs

it has most the same feature of the 9300 but 9300 has bigger screen and little bit better quality display but otherwise pretty much the same??
Old 10-14-2005, 09:51 AM

do NOT buy dell...

as i said i work for tech support, luckily, not for dell... The company is selling garbage for low costs. Their Customer support - india, pakistan etc. they barely speak english, and don't know sh!t. Quality of their product - blows as well..

I have 27 computers in my bay right now(mind you, they came to me within last two weeks) that ARE dells....and going to be worked on.. now, the thing is that 19 of them ARE on the service plan from dell.. and people do not want to go with FREE service, that dell should provide.. think about it.

If you are looking for designer laptop - HP and Gateway has nice models. 17 inch with powerfull processors.
Now, 64 bit is "cool" but what i see on daily basis is that they are slower than p4.. x2s are close to P4. i was shocked, for it was going against all benchmarks from retail sites.. but it is what i see...

If microsoft will release new OS soon, then 64 bit processor is a good idea, otherwise, get P4, or PD if it will become avaliable in lappies...
Old 10-14-2005, 11:09 AM

If you are going into design, get an Apple. You will be using Apples in your courses, being refered to OS X in books, and if you plan on getting a job in design, chances are your employer will be using Macs.

I bought an iBook right before school started, and it's amazing.

Much better deal than anything Dell/GateWay/etc has to offer.

Coincidentally, I am selling it.

PM if you're interested.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:32 PM

Loyen is correct,

STAY AWAY FROM DELL!

I own a dell laptop that has served me well up until recently and when trying to contact customer support you rarely get anyone that understands the english language. I was xfered 5 times then said the hell with it and tried the online support. That was a waste as well because not on single person could help me and I had two of them tell me to use the cd that came with the laptop and after I told them I had and followed reinstall procedures to an exact T they decided that a hardware malfunction was nothing more than my fault without a full assessment of the situation. Find a company that has "Reliable" customer service and one thats stateside doesn't hurt either.

If your still thinking about it read some DELL complaints at Complaints.com[size=1][size=1][size=1]
Old 11-07-2005, 12:33 PM

stay away from compaq... PITA computer. i've had so many problems with my laptop... they suck