Vendor's Booth: General
Sponsor:   Hyundai Aftermarket
This forum is for general vendors to talk about items they sell, and for users to talk
about their experiences/problems with buying automotive parts.

Sfr Cai Or Aem Cai?

Old 01-15-2008, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

which one is better performance wise, the CAI on sfr website (link below) or the AEM CAI?
http://www.kdmstuff.com/shop/step1.php?number=1949

I got a Injen style at the moment but would like to get a 'real' cai instead of wai

Does the sfr cai fit on rev a tibs?
Old 01-15-2008, 08:37 PM

I would say the aem, or at least a ebay aem clone.

The sfr one looks like a injen style intake.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:47 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

CAI will only fit on rev A tibs if you move your EVAP canister.

Looking at the pics on SFR, i dont see where that one would come out at. I think it will be in the driver side front bumper but do not know for sure. If thats the case then the AEM and SFR will both put the filter in the same place. Ask RedZMan about it or KDMguy, they may be able to get you an installed picture.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Banned

eh, i wouldn't get the SFR one.. its 150$ without a filter included. i would go with an AEM clone unless you have a rev A tib. but who knows where the SFR one mounts, it could also cause a rev. A problem.

even so, i would just get an injen clone for like 30$ with a filter.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:39 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I'd love to see where the SFR one mounts, but that could be anywhere. Filters aren't very expensive, and the SFR one comes with T-Bolt Clamps, and that's a hell of a lot nicer than the regular screw clamps, more secure too.

Hell, 6 T-Bolt clamps would cost you about $25 from a shop, so it's not a bad deal at all.

You can get a nice AEM Dryflow filter and pop it on there, and probably still be less than the $200 you generally get AEM's for.

I might have to get one of the SFR ones to check out.

I'd also recommend asking Jay about this via Email, he can get you more info. I'll ask him if I see him first.

seoulfulracing @ yahoo.com
Old 01-16-2008, 05:03 AM

Thanks..

I don't mind about the filter too much, but about the gain in performance and whether it is Rev A friendly or not..

About the AEM clone, that one only looks like AEM but is it as good as that one?

Another thing I noticed with the SFR CAI is that it only got 1 nipples while the one I has got at the moment got 2 (right after the throttle intake). Check the pic below..
I also don't see a hole for the sensor (temperature i think)?

Old 01-16-2008, 05:33 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Did you look up in the DIY section on how to move your evap canister? Its not a matter if the manufacturer made it Rev a friendly its a matter of you moving your EVAP canister. If you don't move it you will not be able to fit a AEM or clone CAI in and will be stuck with an Injen or clone you have now.

The temperature hole isnt as bad as not having a 2nd nipple, now that you say that I wonder why it was designed like that. You can drill out a hole and put a grommet in. I would say if you get the SFR one, the nipple on that is for the crank case ventilation. I have no clue where you would tap in the Idle bypass valve. Perhaps you can add that to your e-mail to Jay at SFR.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:54 PM

Which one would be better.. authenthic aem or is a clone the same? performancewise
Old 01-16-2008, 02:11 PM

Vehicle: 01/hyundai/tiburon

name brand are normaly like .000001" thicker, lol

aem and injen should be the same thickness as the sfr one, ebay ones are a bit thinner
Old 01-17-2008, 03:29 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

Well if the picture on their website is correct, its a 2 peice intake. With AEM you only get from the MAF sensor down. So i'd say SFR is probably a better deal, but thats just me.