Vendor's Booth: General
Sponsor:   Hyundai Aftermarket
This forum is for general vendors to talk about items they sell, and for users to talk
about their experiences/problems with buying automotive parts.

Rd1 Carbon Fiber Hatch

Old 12-07-2007, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Hi there,

I just thought I would put out the idea of possibly getting a gb going on carbon fiber hatches for the RD1. Or if possible, to see how much it would cost to purchase just one if you could in fact make them.

I know the stock hatches have to weigh well over 100 lbs, so this would be a great opportunity to really lose some weight and add a great look to your car at the same time. How heavy do you think the hatch would be?

I was thinking of lexan for the window, but glass would be fine as well, maybe you could make it an option for on/off road users?

Is there any interest out there for these?

I have wanted one for the longest time and it seems the only way to get one is to have one custom made.

I was thinking no more than say 1000-1500 shipped on the price.

Please let me know your ideas or opinions in regards to this idea.

Thanks.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:01 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

An RD1 hatch would be cool, but I think the majority of members have RD2's. You would probably get more buyers that way. People with RD1's can do a conversion to an RD2 rear.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:47 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Haha, agreed. Ive heard lexan is very expensive though. Not positive though.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:55 PM

Java: sad.gif Sorry but I won't even consider it if that happens.

I think it's a sweet idea. It'd be awesome for weight reduction. My only concern would be in shipping...
Old 12-07-2007, 06:00 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Im very interested as well but CF hatch shouldnt cost 1000-1500$, are you nuts?

Tops would be 500-600$

Also, to keep costs down go with FG instead of CF. Process is almost identical, and cost is like 1/4.

I'd rather get it in FG. I'd like to paint it. Weight difference doesn't justify the cost. And yes I know you can paint CF, than what really is the point and why not go with FG LOL.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:47 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I think he was saying to get one made which I would expect to pay that much for. I want one on my RD2 for sure in cf. The weight and hotness is worth the cost.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Banned

honestly a FG hatch for rd1 or rd2 would be a waste of whoevers time that would be making them.. there would be about 5 people MAX from either rd1 or rd2 that would ACTUALLY buy these. the cost for such a small batch of these would be nuts. and if people wanted lexan, that would add a big chunk of change to get lexan molded to the shape of the rear window.

if people used glass, it would defeat the whole purpose of the weight reduction. the glass probably is half the weight of the hatch.

the pricing on the GK CF hatches are 725$ + shipping. so thats like 900 or more SHIPPED, without LEXAN. adding lexan would be another couple to few 100$. so in the end like 1100-1200$ to bein your hands..

making the hatch out of FG instead of CF wouldn't even cut the 725$ in half.. would MAYBE drop it to like 550$ + shipping. then you would need a lexan window if you were truly going for weight reduction.. so like 750-850 + shipping.

and that would be based on it being a high demand part like on GKs. GK guys spend more money, theres more of them, so theres MUCH more of a demand.

with us, theres rd1 AND rd2 and VERY little demand.. taking the little demand into consideration and cost of the mold for hatch, mold for window, etc. the prices of rd1/rd2 hatchs would be SKY high.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:16 PM

I'd like to hear it from the manufacture, the possibilities of a FG hatch. Costs, time,demand etc. unless Nate you manufacture FG/CF goods? tongue.gif

Nate, look up raw material cost of FG compared to CF. It's about HALF the cost of CF

The reason this was posted in this thread is to hear from Compact Divisions the possibilities and cost of a FG or CF hatch. I'd think FG would be the better choice considering most people won't be able to afford a CF hatch. I'd like to see the estimated costs they give us, not your guesstimates.

I'd rather just have the hatch with no window, than you can either put your stock window in place or get lexan. That would decrease cost of shipping, labor, + material.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:39 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

^+1 to socks. however it would be good to hear from the man himself on costs.

i do not believe anyone in this community would convert to rd2 rear just to save some weight and spend even more money. i also do not believe in lots of sales of a part that costs over $600. $599 is max for a good number of sales. anything else is pushing it.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:53 PM

Tell that to the air ram fanatics.