Vendor's Booth: General
Sponsor:   Hyundai Aftermarket
This forum is for general vendors to talk about items they sell, and for users to talk
about their experiences/problems with buying automotive parts.

Power Acoustik in dash DVD install

Old 06-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6
Default Power Acoustik in dash DVD install

A while back I mentioned that I would like a head unit that used a SD card because I don't like iPods and don't want one but I love having my music in mp3 format. Jared at Kingpin Electronics found a few options for me and sent me a PM. I really liked the look of the Power Acoustik PTID-4007. It's a small in dash DVD head unit with all the features I wanted plus a few I didn't know were available until I saw them on this deck. It's controls look like the keypad on the RAZR phone. Kingpinelectronics made me a really good offer on the unit so I went ahead and sent him the money through Paypal. Shortly after he sent me a PM with tracking numbers letting me know it had shipped out.

Yesterday I got everything. Head unit, wiring harness adapter, and dash install kit. Everything was very well packed and got to my house much faster than I was expecting. I was going to wait until this weekend to install everything but I decided to get the wiring harness all spliced together so that when I went to install it I would be set. I soldered the power and ground connections but crimped together the speaker connections. I've personally had good results using that combination so I went with what's worked well for me in the past. Aside from the standard harness and antenna connection the only thing that needed hooked up was the parking brake signal to prevent you from watching DVD's while in motion. To save time I simply grounded out that wire. Nobody driving this car is dumb enough to watch DVD's while driving anyways but if you are doing it for someone else I highly suggest hooking it up as directed in the instructions.

As it turned out I forgot to mention to kingpinelectronics that our Tib is an SE with the multigauges. The dash kit is a nice unit but installed as it came it would have deleted the multigauges and for me that's just not an option because I really like them. After disassembling the stereo and multigauge assembly it becomes evident that it will not be an easy install because the factory stereo surround actually incorporates the multigauge face and the slot is too small to slide the new stereo body through. After some quick checking I determine that I can cut the sides off of the stereo/multigauge surround and slot the bolt holes to make everything fit. Out came the trusty Dremel with a cut off disk and a reaming bit. After a few test fittings everything lines up and fits in the dash. The DVD face is not a flush mount, it protrudes from the dash, just a FYI for anyone considering it.

I want to thank kingpinelectronics for getting me such a nice deck for such a great price and for being so helpful. I would recommend Kingpin Electronics to anyone and I'll be using them again when I need more stereo equipment in the future.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Administrator

first I spliced the factory wiring harness adapter to the stereo wiring harness. I soldered both positive wires and the ground, but crimped the speaker connections.

Dash disassembled

Multigauge/stereo surround, all one piece and too small to fit aftermarket head units

I cut the side panels off to mount the multigauges and the new DVD player. I had to slot the stereo mount holes forward to make clearance for the DVD face.

*Insert swearing and fabricating here*
Sorry, it was almost midnight so I didn't take fabrication pics.

Installed in the dash

With face on

It sticks out but that's okay I like how it looks

Sexy at night SD card contents

The controls are like the RAZR phone's

Here's a short video of the unit
[youtube]UOCZjqL6lKk[/youtube]
Old 06-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Very cool indeed! Kingpin should use part of your original post as a testimonial! smile.gif

If you ever did want to watch DVD's, and if grounding doesnt work...could always throw a switch in. I had to do that on mine. Quick and easy, and not too difficult. I have the switch hidden in my ashtray, since I dont smoke and never use it. tongue.gif
Old 06-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Grounding seems to work, although on some units (dunno about this one) it freaks out if it's grounded 100% of the time. I'll see if it does that and put a switch under the dash if it's an issue.

Kingpin Electronics is free to use any part of my post as a testimonial.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE(187sks @ Jun 9 2009, 03:12 PM)
Grounding seems to work, although on some units (dunno about this one) it freaks out if it's grounded 100% of the time. I'll see if it does that and put a switch under the dash if it's an issue.

Kingpin Electronics is free to use any part of my post as a testimonial.

Power Acoustik units could care less if it's grounded 1% or 100% of the time smile.gif
Old 06-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Good to know. I almost installed a switch last night. Glad I just skipped that step.