Vendor's Booth: General
Sponsor:   Hyundai Aftermarket
This forum is for general vendors to talk about items they sell, and for users to talk
about their experiences/problems with buying automotive parts.

Possibilities From Korea

Old 05-18-2005, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I was thinking on spending some cash on my car (not big cash though ~$500) and I have some questions to have an idea where to invest them. I know some of the questions have been asked, but when I searched I came to dead unconclusive topics in some cases and nothing on other cases.

1) Someone mentioned that there was some kind of caliper compatibility between RD and GK front brakes is this possible? (I was thinking fitting those alu calipers on REAL site to a RD)

2) Would it be possible to have a set of syntered hollow cams but not as agressive as 272? Maybe 264 in/ex (I guess they weight some interesting grams less than an OEM camshaft, hence the less weight alone could benefit rotational inercia?)

3) I remember you had a project to develop a better ECU for the ones of us with Siemens ECU's, is it still possible to get one for an RD here (southamerica)?
Would I need to custom tune that ECU or it comes with a basic "improved" programming that I can us "as is". If custom tuning is needed, what tools would be required?

Thanks in advance Rick.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:56 PM

remember, cams spin at HALF of crank speed, so their rotational inertia is not nearly as important as say brake rotors, wheels, flywheel, crank, etc... Hollow cams woudn't show the improvment that ligher flywheel/brake rotors/wheels would. Just food for thought.

Sorry to hijack
Old 05-19-2005, 10:27 AM

Thanks for the hijack! smile.gif

In fact, another possibility I am thinking is to buy a set of light (but real lightweight; under 11lb) set of rims; I guess they would have to be 15"; if I could get 16" with a weight of 12lb or less then they would be a possibility, but I am having a hard time finding that kind of rims.

Back on Topic:
With the caliper issue I was not thinking of ratational mass, but of unsprung weight reduction, it would be really sweet if those alu calipers could work with RD's, (or if there are such things specifically for RD's).
Old 05-19-2005, 11:18 AM

We'll soon have a VERY nice light calipers option; will have brackets to fit either 11" or 12" disks (both will be possible with the same bracket), and each side (in front) will weight... 5LB (2.2kg) less than stock!! To see how much this can be beneficial, we usually consider that 1lb unsprung weight = 10lb sprung weight. So it'd feel like you just removed 100lb in the front!

Can't say more for the moment though. But stay tuned wink1.gif
Old 05-19-2005, 03:35 PM

Will they fit 11 inch rotors only or can they be fitted to OEM 10" rotors?
(I know how to read, just making 100% sure Agarwal didn't mentioned it because most tuners are into bigger brakesonly yet the possibility exists...)
Old 05-19-2005, 04:05 PM

11" and 12" only, AFAIK. The 11" will fit most 15" wheels, so no problem there.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:23 AM

And What about the ECU? Any news from that Rick?
(I know you are on a trip right now, and that you will get back and find some "urgent" posts and e-mails, so I'll be pacient for the answer, just try not to leave me waiting too long wink1.gif )
By the way Rick, my car is MAP based, my ECU is a Siemens with a part number 39100-23580
39110-23580
Serial number
K103955231B
will it be compatible with your korean market upgrade ECU's?
Old 06-01-2005, 10:58 PM

QUOTE (Zman @ May 30 2005, 03:23 PM)
And What about the ECU? Any news from that Rick?
(I know you are on a trip right now, and that you will get back and find some "urgent" posts and e-mails, so I'll be pacient for the answer, just try not to leave me waiting too long wink1.gif )
By the way Rick, my car is MAP based, my ECU is a Siemens with a part number 39100-23580
39110-23580
Serial number
K103955231B
will it be compatible with your korean market upgrade ECU's?

If you've e-mail to me already about your car in South America, I already forward it to REAL KOREA to contact you directly.

I only take care USA and Canada market, so Kyle will contact you directly from Korea for your need.

For RD to GK swap like 4 lugs to 5 lugs, we've used Grandeur XG rotors before, but it has been quite some time and hard to recall at the moment about any mod was needed.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:53 AM

Thanks a lot Rick. Yes I had mailed you and today I received the mail from Kyle, a very nice guy; I really appreciate you put me in contact with him.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:51 AM

QUOTE (Zman @ Jun 2 2005, 02:53 PM)
Thanks a lot Rick. Yes I had mailed you and today I received the mail from Kyle, a very nice guy; I really appreciate you put me in contact with him.

Well, Kyle is my partner in Korea and I don't necessary need to get credit for something I don't do anything in between.

I think he sold couple Siemens ecu to Panama etc, so you won't have any problem.