Vendor's Booth: General
Sponsor:   Hyundai Aftermarket
This forum is for general vendors to talk about items they sell, and for users to talk
about their experiences/problems with buying automotive parts.

Compact Divisions Im P&p Report

Old 11-11-2008, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Almost a year ago now, I had purchased the Compact Divisions IM port & polish job. I purchased a regular IM from another member here and had him ship it to CD (thanks, whoever that was!). CD did the P&P job in a couple weeks and shipped it to me. I had also ordered the phenolic spacer from him too, but that never came through (refund ftw). I purchased the full set through Outlaw Engineering after that. Anyhow, about a month or two ago I finally installed it all, and was asked by a number of people to post up a review of it, so here goes. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures... So sorry!
I have a 62mm OZ-Flow BBTB, so I needed the IM to match that as closely as possible. The largest size CD could do was 61mm which was close enough for me. They did a nice job on that, it matched the BBTB just about perfectly, and the phenolic was also cut to that size. CD also reached into the TB port and polished up the insides just a little bit as well to provide smoother flow. Having a large TB and opening also increases flow as there's no edge or drop-off right inside that port now.
The runners were ported to match the size of the ones on the cylinder head as well. That was a very nice looking job, everything seemed to be very straight and smooth. I matched the ports and they were definitely bigger (no dimensions, sorry). Unfortunately, only about 4in into the runner were machined out, beyond that, nothing was done to the runners, I assume because you simply can't get a tool in there. So beyond that 4in or so, there were still the casting defects and slight bumps and ridges. Same was true for the inside of the plenum. Nothing significant, just not ideal. Again, I don't think there's anything that could be done about this.
To try to remove those slight defects, I took it to be sandblasted. While the sandblasting helped make the IM look better, it didn't do anything to remove the casting defects. But at least I now know what sandblasting does! I'd been curious about that before then.
Moving along, I finally got it installed. Used a DIY that RedZ had put up in here (GREAT DIY man!!). It was more about how to install the phenolics than anything, but was the exact same to install a new IM. Took a couple hours, but it was one of my first major engine projects of that scope. I really enjoyed it though! Of course, I installed the phenolic spacers as I went. (Note, the phenolics move your TB away from the IM a little bit, so besides adjusting your throttle cables, you also need to stretch the IAC tubing. It works, but just don't be scared when things don't fit exactly the same [like I was... lol]). Got it all back up and running, reset the ECU and took it for a spin.
Sound: definitely sounds better, slightly lower growl, better sound over the whole RPM range.
Power: more power over the whole RPM range. After 4000 RPM, my car absolutely takes off. That's mainly from the 1.8L cam, but the IM definitely helps increase it even more. I can spin most of first, and typically chirp second (I have pretty good tires, and I think my tranny is slowing down so that's why it's not much more than a chirp)
Fuel mileage: goes down, I can't keep my foot off the loud pedal now... Oops.

Overall, was it worth it? Absolutely.
You want one? Get it! I have an IM for sale, and I'd be happy to ship it directly to CD for you. Check my FS thread here.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:04 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

good to hear...i may contact them first...cuz i got a TB and intake manifold seating in the closest
Old 11-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Banned

wish ya posted pics.. i'd like to see the work.

wonder how it'll compare to the IM i am working on.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:08 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Hmm, Im' suprised they didn't do the IM larger for you. My OEM IM was bored out to 65MM, with no problems.

As for the runners, yeah, very difficult to get in there, that's why I like my extremely rare bored IM from Tim, he takes off a large portion of the top of the OEM IM and gets both ends of the runners with a big grinder, then welds a plate back on. It's great.

What was teh cost?
Old 11-11-2008, 09:29 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

^100 clams
Old 11-11-2008, 10:37 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

He said on the site the max they could do was 61mm. It was close enough, so I was happy. There wasn't really any room to take off more, or else you start digging into the plenum. It was pretty much flush with the plenum wall as it was. Not sure how you got 65mm out of yours?
Total cost was $145 for the P&P job, about $60 for the IM, and $92 for the phenolics. Total was about $300. Kinda pricey when I total it up like that lol
Taking the top off the IM sounds like a great idea! You could definitely get in there really well like that.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:28 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

^Just to clarify, the P&P job is only $100; the $45 is for shipping (damn Canada heh).
Old 11-12-2008, 06:35 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (StrikeEagle @ Nov 11 2008, 10:37 PM)
He said on the site the max they could do was 61mm. It was close enough, so I was happy. There wasn't really any room to take off more, or else you start digging into the plenum. It was pretty much flush with the plenum wall as it was. Not sure how you got 65mm out of yours?
Total cost was $145 for the P&P job, about $60 for the IM, and $92 for the phenolics. Total was about $300. Kinda pricey when I total it up like that lol
Taking the top off the IM sounds like a great idea! You could definitely get in there really well like that.

I understand that he said that, but it's not true. Mine had no extra material added to it and is bored out to 65mm to match my BBTB. Tanc has a 70MM BBTB, that he welded a new flange onto, and he needed to add a bit of material for the one corner I believe, but there is more than enough room.

BTW, my previous IM, the one I sold before I got my Airram (which was sold before my current IM), was bored to 62MM by the buyer if I remember correctly.

I bet what the issue is is he doesn't want to have to bore as deep as you need to with the 65. You have to open the passageway further back or you just get a 65mm flange opening and then hit a flat wall.

I paid to ship mine to Arizona and less than $100 to get the work done and ship back. Think Tim said he used a big die grinder with a flexible extension.

I remember when Faithofadragon was doing his 70mm BBTB, he went at his IM with a dremel for hours, just on the TB flange, so much material to remove.