Vendor's Booth: General
Sponsor:   Hyundai Aftermarket
This forum is for general vendors to talk about items they sell, and for users to talk
about their experiences/problems with buying automotive parts.

Buying body kits from abroad and to import to USA...

Old 08-29-2004, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: e-manage hookup HELP

Process of importation..

Bring body kits have alot of un-expect charges.

Most body kit manufacturer in Korea don't have carton box for exportation, so the cost start building from here after you buy the kit.

For some reasons, Korean have like 10 different document charges for exporting preparation.

Ocean may only take 10 days, but schedule a date to pick up and time to leave the port may be a week to 2 weeks. Since most case, the product is not coming as container base....less than container takes more time to load with something else.

Once arrive to US port...if terrorist thing (security heighten), they have pre-screening on the boat prior to dock....1 week maybe. Imagine how many containers coming per day.

After docking, the product is place at specific warehouse to wait for x-ray inspection.

This is where US Custom broker comes in....a broker with US Bond of $$ can handle this importation process.

For one time to be use for personal imported as personal name, you may be able to get a free tax by going through all the work by your own. US Custom have screening eye to look at you as if you are not telling the truth way....

I been working with this custom brokerage firm for 5 years, so they pay for shipping charges, doc charges, import duty and everything and bill me one big chunk of bill in detail. Broker fee is pretty much same despite how big the shipment is....

Despite how light body kit is, the people handle body kit use forklift (not free)

Big chunk of money goes from warehouse to my place by truck. 1 kit, they charge $100.
4 kits may be $250 and varies by economic situation. Gas go up....fee go up.

I only use Korean broker firm, Korean trucking company, since we understand how thing work and demanding and negotiate is sometime possible too.

If everything with American base company, the process will take longer and pays higher fees and none negotiable for trucking charges etc.

With GB of less than numbers to import than anticipated, its a big loss. More like giving at free plus adding my own money on top of the kit to customer.

When I think of how much labor I put in to receive the body kits and then to send out to each customer, I think if I should continue with very little rewards I get.

Custom may only have time to wait from paying to receiving the body kits...the process of waiting and doing the work is twice more...
Old 08-29-2004, 03:26 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Re: Gauge Group Buy GREAT DEAL from Splitfire!! NOW TAKING M

Wow Rick, thanks for explaining that PAINFULL process.

If I was you, I'd try to do a Group Buy maybe once a quarter for bodykits. To save on S/H. Get everything setup pricewise, and then people need to either pay in full or at least %25 down on the kit. When you have 10 slots and all 10 are FULLY paid up, then order, get them together and ship.

I'd be glad to help with it. I think it would work well that way, and you would not be out any money. You shouldn't be doin that at all if you are losing money on it. I know that's why Kspec.com stopped selling bodykits.

I do have some ideas on how to do it now though...
Old 08-30-2004, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Type R Wing Group Buy *CLOSED*

^^^ that sounds like a good idea. if this ever happens count me in for some things. PREPAID of course.