Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Vendor's Booth: General (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/vendors-booth-general-34/)
-   -   2.5" Exhaust (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/vendors-booth-general-34/2-5-exhaust-29238/)

hamhead 06-07-2005 03:45 PM

HKC, those don't have any filtering agents in them at all. Its basically a straight pipe... which means it doesn't help emissions and makes it illegal to have them on there.

Speed-Factor 06-07-2005 05:06 PM

HKC I will send you a PM.

00tibby 06-07-2005 05:28 PM

high flows are legal here, why would it suddenly be illegal for him?

a_gut 06-07-2005 05:45 PM

That's not a high flow, that's a "racing cat" - a sneaky way of saying "straight pipe". As ham pointed out it doesn't have the catalyst material that an actual catalytic converter has, thus why it's illegal.

00tibby 06-07-2005 07:02 PM

were not talking racing cat, were talking high flow cat.

Mad_john 06-07-2005 07:08 PM

do they have an actual bolt on high flow cat for the tibby "maybe a diffrent cars maybe or a cross-ref one " , that way i dont have to do the dam cut and past bit... 02.gif I need to replace mine.. Bad

hamhead 06-07-2005 08:08 PM

Tibs either have 2 bolt flange or 3 bolt flange cats. That means they either have 2 bolts in them, or three. Gen 1s and most Gen2s have 2bolt flanges. Some 2001s have 3bolt flanges. Or something like that.

Besides that, not all cats are the same length. You might get lucky, but chances are your gonna have to weld.

00Tibby, HKC said racing cat. The pics he posted were of a racing cat. Which is a straight pipe.

HyundaiKitCoupe 06-07-2005 09:05 PM

as long as Tim can work magic and include a high flow cat that will bolt nicely onto the exhaust and keep the o-zone from getting smaller, i'm in.

my theory: i just thought the racing cat might be able to fit in nicely and pass emissions (even though it is illegal) by at least turning most of the exhaust into carbon gasses like normal ones do. how would emissions inspectors ever know it's down there if our engines don't emit that much exhaust?

but thanks guys for the help and input. it's a puzzle and Tim might have the last piece to it. i wonder what it is because i think any cat will do, however, we need something that will go after a downpipe and work well with our O2 sensors and such.

hamhead 06-07-2005 11:11 PM

Any cat will go after the downpipe, and any cat (if its functioning right) will work with your o2 sensors. All cats are the same, they use elements like platinum, that when exposed to heat, cause reactions that turn bad stuff into less bad stuff.

A racing pipe has nothing in it, so it won't turn anything into anything. It'll just remain exhaust gas. A racing cat would not pass an emissions test anywhere. If you just have a visual test, then yes, you may pass... but hardly any areas do that anymore. Almost all places check the levels of certain gases in the exhaust, and if its coming straight off the engine, you will fail.

Remember, 90% of pollution comes from 10% of cars. And those 10% of cars aren't equipped with properly working catalytic convertors.

00tibby 06-07-2005 11:20 PM

^^ heh didnt know the 90% fact, nice to know.