Vehicle Showroom This forum is for you to post up images of your car, if you do not want to use the Gallery. You can upload directly from your posts or use Imageshack to host files.

Upgraded Complete Exhaust

Old 07-18-2006, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 06 suby impreza outback sport

???? i don't think that matches the rd1. to me that doesn't match the body. but doesn't look bad.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:27 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

There are people who like it this way and people who do not. I like it and thats the main thing. lmao.gif . As for the weight I held the stock exhaust in my hands (Header, cat,pipings and exhaust) and I am pretty sure that the new one is at least same weight if not liter.Stock exhaust with piping and stocke header and cat is heavy as hell and there is a lot to do to make things heavier than the stock.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:37 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Hive, keep in mind that ANY aftermarket exhaust is going to show improvements over Stock, even a pretty crappy one will. You are replacing kinked bends, tiny diameter piping, and improving the routing of the exhaust. 20% though? Nope. Maybe 5%. The best exhaust made for us, the Apexi, showed like a 10 HP gain. If that, on a otherwise bone stock car.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:44 PM

I know that, thats why I said that i think it is less then what they said. Anyway, being 5,10,15 or 20 percent I am happy with the gain there has been no downsides with this upgrade and I am moving forward to some more changes. I have planned to lower the head (or the whole engine block) and then put in a piggyback with new mappings. Will go on dyno then and see what is the real improvement after all of those. Only then will everything be finished (or the beginning of more changes :-P).

As for the APEXI ones, I understand all of these but I still think that a custom made header and complete exhaust for a specific vehicle is always better then aftermarket "produce a lot" ones. This is especially because a custom made exhaust is completely made by one shop and it is not being assembled by parts collected from different producers. So all of the parts are "in tune" with other parts of the system (here I mean on exhaust system) in a more productive way. That'sjust mine opinion no offense to anybody.

Guys who did the exhaust are doing just that and nothing else even the exhaust tipps are their brand. They have started as racing modding company and thats what they do. Simply it gives me more confidence when I take my car to them leave it there for a day or week and then get the finished product against the ones bought on the internet or in the shop and then fitted by someone else.

Do not get me wrong but things they say are usually comming from their experience in making racing cars and they do a real job there. There are only a few shops like theirs in Croatia and they are if not the best the second to best.

I would be happiest to take it and put it on dyno now but there would be no point as I am expecting to upgrade other parts in a month or two.

Anyway, I am happy with the work done and am going further. will post some sound clip tomorrow probably and pics of the pipings next week (probably).
Old 07-18-2006, 06:28 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Piggyback? Are you boosted?

Some of the things you say make no sence mang..
Old 07-18-2006, 06:33 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Are you kidding me? Apexi makes some of the best products on the market. Very high quality, and very well designed.

Remember, there are only so many ways to run the exhaust on a car. ON ours, there's about 2, over and under the axle, the rest is pretty much down the exhaust channel under the car.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:52 AM

2 Redz: I did not say that Apexi is not a good one. I believe it is but i still think that if you are doing some long term project on the car and plan to change more things it is a better option to have it custom made (whatever is possible) and preferablly everything by the same people to keep the consistency of the project. Otherwise You do end up looking for the "best fits". Correct me if I am wrong.

2 tanc: No I am not boosted but the guys here call the Unichip a piggyback so I just used the same term. I would be happy if any of you could tell me the correct english term You use for the gadget. Here is the link:
http://www.stormengineering.co.uk/ .

As i see they also call it piggyback in the UK. The car does not have to be turbocharged for this unit. Have seen it work and it adds so much more to the engine. All of the additional mappings are done using the dyno runs. smile.gif
Old 07-19-2006, 06:54 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

we call it a piggyback too

and CUSTOM ROCKS cool.gif
Old 07-19-2006, 10:01 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

While I have a custom cat-back myself, as Redz said, there really isn't any difference. Properly designed parts by reputable companies will match up together just fine. My headers were made thousands of miles away but they mated up to the exhaust to the centimeter that was made by the shop down the road. As long as you keep the second cat there would've been no discretion, exhaust starts after the second cat, aftermarket headers end before the second cat.

And its not like those headers are the most efficient design either. Of course I can't tell the thickness of the material, but that definately looks like mild steel to me, which is probably why it felt lighter than stock. Mild steel is an easy material to weld and relatively light, but stainless steel is the better product.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Banned

the exhaust looks perdy good, and i love the tips.. its not my cup of tea, but i like it..

i am sure you got a nice, noticable gain, and i am glad you are satisfied with it. what ever makes the owner of the car happy. there are things on my car people may hate (i.e. faith hates my CF dash) there are some things you could have done better, if you wanted every HP you could squeeze out of it, but youre happy.

the exhaust design is ok, and it works right. i woulda went with stainless, if thats not, cuz mild is PITA!! rust is your enemy.

dual exhaust isnt the best on a 4cyl. but alotta people do it, and it looks good, and its better than stock. alot of people aren't interested in the extra 1-2 hp they could get outta having single exhaust when dual 'sometimes' looks better.