Vehicle Showroom This forum is for you to post up images of your car, if you do not want to use the Gallery. You can upload directly from your posts or use Imageshack to host files.

Tv For No Reason 2.0 *pix*

Old 07-04-2007, 10:09 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ok, I've just finished remaking my TV setup to go from my seat to my rear hatch.

I spent no time cleaning my trunk because I need to work on the blank spot now. My car is in daily driver mode. I need some suggestions as to what I can put in the blank spot and where I can get it. I could use some help quickly with this as I have tomorrow to work on it, the next day to clean and put new tires on my car and then this weekend there is a big car show. I may or may not be going depending on if I get my tires. Regardless, I want to get the blank spot filled tomorrow.

New TV setup in my car in daily driver mode:

So, any thoughts as to what I should put there? I'm thinking maybe a fire extinguisher. Where do they sell them though?
Old 07-04-2007, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Looks much better! Now it seems a little more useful now that it's not far in the back corner (but I still don't understand how a TV in your trunk is "useful... wink1.gif ).
I still think your cap should be molded in with the sub, it seems kinda out of place and dwarfed by the zex bottle. And unless you do some sort of cleanup back there, another cylindrical object, like a fire extinguisher, would make it way too busy.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:48 AM
DTN

^^ Yeah, it's not really useful unless tailgating or at car shows. It was given to me for free though, and I just had to make the housing.

I wish I could move the cap. The mount is broken and I can't get a new one unless I buy a new cap.

Got any other suggestions as to what can go there?

I need some good ideas or it's going to be something like this.

Is that alright? or does it look bad?

Seriously, I drive my car and look at it every day. I don't know what looks good.

In 1.5 hours I'm going to set off to buy a fire extinguisher or first aid kit unless someone can come up with something better i can purchase locally that would fill the empty space for under $60
Old 07-05-2007, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

a fire extinguisher is good to have, especially with an audio setup. I've seen a few smoking trunks in my time.... and you never know when you might need one. However, it's out of place in the trunk unless you can find a blue one, or a plain silver one.

the screen positioning looks good, but, I'd consider doing something to hide the wires. Wire loom isn't good.. maybe put a flat black panel covered in carpet on the bottom of the trunk cover. That will hide the wires and make the TV look more flush rather than sticking out. Use black wire loom if you need to use it at all, especially in the trunk. Leave the blue for the accessories (bottle and amp). I'd even consider making the screen outline black instead of blue, but I'd have to see it in person.

....and cut the excess on the zip ties, you don't want any ties showing.

Edit:
If you can cut into the wall next to the sub, mount the cap in there with it sticking halfway in, half out... so it's angled and floating inside the wall.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:13 AM

^^^ Said just what I was thinking...
I really think the cap should be more molded (or cut in, like majik said) into the sub enclosure rather that attached (so you won't have to use the broken mounts). That's what I was trying to get at, rather than just attaching it on the outside. Now if you could mold both the cap and the fire extinguisher, that would be even better! But you do need to get a plain silver or blue extinguisher, and it should be lying down like the cap (until you mold them both smile.gif )
And really good idea on hiding the wires, use some of the black carpeting you have left over to cover them and hide them better, rather than the blue loom.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:23 AM
DTN

Well, I can paint the extinguisher the same as I painted my nitrous bottle, tv, speaker, cap, amp and everything else. So, that shouldn't be a problem. But having the extinguisher laying down seems like it would defeat the purpose. I'm trying to fill up the empty space with something.

I can't mold anything into my box. The box is perfectly made for nearly 1CuFt of airspace. I don't want to mess that up. Now I could make a mount on the back seat to place the cap and fire extinguisher straight up and down.

Good call on the carpet thing, but I think If I were to put carpet down there, it might look tacky. I'll try carpet, maybe black wireloom. Either way, today is my last day to play with my car before I have to get down to cleaning it for the shows this and next week.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:31 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (majikTib @ Jul 5 2007, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>a fire extinguisher is good to have, especially with an audio setup. I've seen a few smoking trunks in my time.... and you never know when you might need one. However, it's out of place in the trunk unless you can find a blue one, or a plain silver one.</div>

if your trunk is ever on fire its because your a stupid ass who cant wire. hes not even pushing enough power to cause some kind of accident that would need a fire extinguisher and for the record i think it looked better where you had it. if your going to try and do a placement like that you should have done it on the hatch lid around where the inside handle is.

the only audio equipment i've even seen even just smoke was because it was hooked up wrong and too much power fried it.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:41 AM
DTN

^^ Yeah, the fire extinguisher is not for anything in the trunk. the only things i'm worried about is an engine fire. I have a wet shot running through my car which means I actually pump nitrous and gasoline into my intake. it's possible the gasoline can run down into my air filter and catch fire there or anywhere else in the intake system. That's what I'm really looking at. You need to have a fire extinguisher a safe distance from what you're trying to extinguish.

I've taken every precaution available. You notice that there is a fuse on every electrical device including a round fuse sticking out the bottom of the TV. The wires on the amp and cap are bolted down and as short as possible to prevent rubbing and messing up the shielding. The nitrous has a safety blowdown equiped to vent nitrous out of the car in the event of overpressurization. The 3 foot run of braded steel nitrous line is the biggest issue in my trunk, but it is routed directly out a grommeted hole in my spare tire well.

No matter how you look at it though, gasoline in an intake can be dangerous.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:19 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (optimoprime @ Jul 5 2007, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>if your trunk is ever on fire its because your a stupid ass who cant wire.</div>
And this is DTN we're talking about, so that won't exactly be a problem... wink1.gif

I forgot you painted most things in there, so you should be ok. Perhaps you could do a 2 tone paint scheme similar to what you have on your amp?
If you do have the extinguisher up against the back seat instead of laying down, I'd probably recommend it go from bottom right to top left, instead of how you have it shown on the photoshop. Then it kinda "points" to the tv rather than being some other direction.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (optimoprime @ Jul 5 2007, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>if your trunk is ever on fire its because your a stupid ass who cant wire. hes not even pushing enough power to cause some kind of accident that would need a fire extinguisher and for the record i think it looked better where you had it. if your going to try and do a placement like that you should have done it on the hatch lid around where the inside handle is.
the only audio equipment i've even seen even just smoke was because it was hooked up wrong and too much power fried it.</div>
it doesn't take much to spark, and it's not always a wiring problem. I don't know what power he's pushing or how his wiring is placed. It doesn't necessarily have to be a stereo wiring fire, it could be a power wire that gets pinched by metal clips or the body of the car. It could also be handy for any other idiot at a car show that has his trunk catch on fire, or engine fire. I could list 100's of possible fires that could be caused in cars, and if you ever go to a car show and look at some of the hideous trunk/engine setups, you'll quickly understand that fire cans happen