Vehicle Showroom This forum is for you to post up images of your car, if you do not want to use the Gallery. You can upload directly from your posts or use Imageshack to host files.

Supercow's Tiburon Build!

Old 07-18-2010, 10:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

If you were burning coolant, then it wasn't just a ringland. Might have been a HG.

Keep that old motor though and start slowly building it.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

^This was such a long process I'm not sure anymore, from undriveable to driveable again took over 2 years, I did a bit more than just a motor swap though.

I put on a new HG, not my first one or anything and I'm sure it was done right and yes it was burning oil, about 1 quart every half hour. But I didn't run it much after the HG so the coolant issue could have been fixed and I wouldn't have know with the amount of oil burning.

Looking back on it I kinda think I had that oil ring going out and the HG at the same time. BTW, this motor was severly overheated in Houston several times about a year or two before it started smoking really bad. I drove down there with only one fan in the middle of summer...bad idea. After that I noticed it smoking quite a bit but only when it was cold outside.

As far as your recommendation my plan is to rebuild it over the next year or two for boost then swap it back in. So far I've got a new HG, wiseco low-comp pistons, cower rods, new bearings/rings. Not sure what all I'll do to the head. It's already been gasket matched ported, new valve stem seals, and resurfaced & cleaned.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Singh groove it!