Vehicle Showroom This forum is for you to post up images of your car, if you do not want to use the Gallery. You can upload directly from your posts or use Imageshack to host files.

So I Smashed My Car :(

Old 03-16-2006, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Coupe 1997

Before:

After:

Oh well.

5 car pileup. Insurance is takeing care of it thank god. $4.500AUD damage, will get the car back in 13 days yay !
Old 03-16-2006, 04:59 PM

Good thing that you weren't hurt.. Bonus for getting the car back in such a short amount of time.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:03 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Glad you weren't injured.
Do I hear new body kit?? When I had an accident I used the money to buy a new body kit. Parts cost just as much as the stock parts and I had a garage willing to work with me wink1.gif
Old 03-16-2006, 05:06 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Coupe 1997

its weird, never been in a smash before (couldn't really call what happened a huge accident - more a fenderbender) but looking at the damage of the car you would think that the impact would be huge - in reality i dont think i was thrown around at all.

Heres the best part, the bumper had a huge scratch on it from a previous owner and im getting a new bumper laugh.gif

also new bonnet, new radiator, new ac thingie, new this, new that. I have a feeling that rust was starting under the bonnet to so its a bonus. The only thing that sucks is the $850 excess but oh well

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kb5133 @ Mar 16 2006, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Do I hear new body kit?? When I had an accident I used the money to buy a new body kit. Parts cost just as much as the stock parts and I had a garage willing to work with me wink1.gif</div>

Could you suggest a couple? would love to customize the look.

I got the quote from the smash repair guys yesterday and its going to my insurance company. I know the owner of of the smash repair place but have a feeling that my insurance company would want the car returned to its origional condition which sucks, but bloody good idea.. will ask
Old 03-16-2006, 05:23 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

$4500 AUD = $3319.38 USD

seems like you got the good end of the deal. You should be able to get a good kit and a CF/FG or similar hood for that.

Dont worry about what the mechanic thinks the insurance company wants. i dunno how it works in australia but in the US we can take it to whatever mechanic we want, we could fix it ourselves if we wanted. The insurance company cuts you a check to cover what it would cost to fix it. They dont follow you around to see what you do with <u>your</u> money. My dad smashed up his truck like 5 years ago when he hit a deer. He cobbed it up (barely) and used the money to pay bills, then ended up hitting a deer again, smashed it up even more. Used the insurance money this time to get the truck fixed lol.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:49 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai Sonata

ouch...at least you're safe!!

but yeah..get a bodyshop to put a bodykit for you fing02.gif fing02.gif
Old 03-16-2006, 05:50 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^^ Um...try living in Massachusetts! I had to "shop" around to find a shop that was on a list of certified repair shops that my insurance company gave me. I know the list was becuase of my insurance, not the state. But because the state is so friggin' strict most of the shops are super careful to follow the letter of the law.
Maine on the other hand...I had the same deal. I hit deer and the insurance company told me to take it to a garage for an estimate. I took it to my Uncle's garage and had him "write up an estimate" for $1500. Insurance cut me a check and I hit up a junkyard. $300 to replace the parts and paint. $1200 for news rims and 285's wink1.gif
Old 03-16-2006, 06:22 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

^ Same here. Although it was the insurance of the people that smashed into my car that paid me.

Some time ago, some guy reversed into my parked car while I was sat in it, waiting for my girlfriend. Made a mess of the driver's side door. Insurance paid around $AU1,250.

Just recently I got side-swiped by a bus. Munched the passenger fender & scratched the corner of the bumper. Insurance paid just over $AU1,300.

I recently got everything fixed at the same time. It cost me $200 for a perfect driver's side door from a junkyard, $50 for a near-perfect passenger fender, $400 for prep & paint of both & I did the install myself. Total cost to me was $AU650. The rest has since gone into bills & whatnot but it was still a pretty good result smile.gif

I'm leaving the bumper as is for now because it's barely noticeable unless you are up close. I might be going for an aftermarket one in the near future too.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:32 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I would replace everythng with aftermarket stuff like the boidykit they were talking bout. Also get a cf hood I just mine on its amazing looking

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kb5133 @ Mar 16 2006, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>$1200 for news rims and 285's wink1.gif</div>

As in the width of the tire wow very wide cool.gif .
Old 03-16-2006, 06:38 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

^ Surely he didn't mean 285 wide tyres on this car.