Vehicle Showroom This forum is for you to post up images of your car, if you do not want to use the Gallery. You can upload directly from your posts or use Imageshack to host files.

Roof Fix, Give Me Your Thought - And New Goodies I Got...

Old 08-27-2009, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: tiburon 1998

Hi guys,
I don't know about how do tibs in the states are, but here allllllll the tibs have rust in front of the suroof panel.

I am thinking of how to fix it, and as far as I think, there are two fixes:

1. cut out the rusted area, put new metal, shape and all, weld and repaint.
-I think that in a couple of years, the new weak link would be the weldings. Am I right?
2. replacing the roof panel as a whole.
------> how difficult is it really for a pro?

That way I'll have the option of putting a roof from a model without a sunroof at all, and that way I won't have to woory about rust any more in the future....

maybe even reproduce this roof panel in carbon, but I have no Idea how to connect it back with the rest of the roof, when there will be no option of welding?

What do you think guys? can it be done?

from this panel

to that one:

btw, a new oem roof panel costs only arond 400$. I thought it would be much more.

here is my roof. I don't even open my sunroof... but all the tibs in Israel are FX, and came with one.

please share your thoughts...

Btw , Remember me having one seat form a Ferrari F430 Scuderia?
I managed to get my hands on a second one!!
Now only waiting for the ferrari factory to come back from their vacation to buy some leather from them, and do the second seat the same... rears also... Yammy!

and sharing a look into the future.... Thanks dvanderk!

Old 08-27-2009, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Anything is possible if you want it bad enough. Go for a solid panel. You'd have the only one around, and you'd keep the sun out a little bit more.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:59 AM

cool.

Do you have an idea how a carbon roof would be put on, istead of a previously welded one?
Old 08-28-2009, 03:36 AM

man those bucket seats are pimping!! lolz great find gsasha, btw your tiburons looks really great am digging your black and yellow combination smile.gif
Old 08-28-2009, 06:00 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

i have looked at CF roofs that are made for bmw's and its just a cap held on with 3m tape. doing a overlay would be just like doing fiberglass but you need a black background to do cf overlay.

i think your best bet would be the roof skin made for no sunroofs. since you never use it, why have it? hell if you can find a interior roof panel and switch out it gives you like 2 to 3 inches of extra head room.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

+1 for the extra head room I forgot about that.

Or if you are insane, lay the A pillars back and C pillars forward, shorten the B pillar and chop the top . . . and make a custom roof from the solid panel!
. . . and have custom windows cut
. . . and have the doors redone
Old 08-28-2009, 07:38 AM

LOL... abit overkill above ^^

I am not talking about a CF overlay. I talk about reproducing the roof panel without sunroof from a pure CF. We have a pro that can do it, no problem.

I wonder how will I connect it to the roof without the option of welding?
I think that thye bimmers roof is a bit different, since they don't have the metal/CF piece welded, and have a division of the roof from the pillars, like on new tibs, while our looks likeone solid (of course- welded together) piece.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

It should be fairly straightforward to make a new roof panel out of CF . . . if you have one to copy, that is. Then cut yours out, but leave a border. Use a flange-making tool and sink the edge of the roof to make a flange, then glue your CF roof to the new flange all the way round the edges. Suitable industrial and automotive-specific adhesives are out there. The main problem I have with this idea is that you have to be tricky with the carbon fiber sheets, to come up with something that won't cave in like a bit of aluminum foil if you roll the car.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:31 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

some lightweight aluminum braces would be nice to keep the hood from caving, or "veins" of CF could work.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:33 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

Not sure on the roof,but Those seats are badass!!!!