Vehicle Showroom This forum is for you to post up images of your car, if you do not want to use the Gallery. You can upload directly from your posts or use Imageshack to host files.

The Revival

Old 05-07-2006, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are pics as it happens in the garage. Today it got its 2nd layer of primer and tomorrow its going for 3. Should have the paint and clear on by tuesday night. Just so you all are aware, the kit has been fitted and installed properly (no wood screws and sheet metal), the kit has also been molded, its been de-badged and all the holes and dents have been repaired.

Step 1:Sanding and Bondo-ing

Step 2rimer, Sanding and A Little More Bondo

Old 05-07-2006, 10:53 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

Looks like you are going all out this time. Good Job! You still have the green paint on the windshield? lmao.gif
Old 05-07-2006, 10:57 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

thank you for this post. Finally with the proper user name. Thank you.

PLEASE, sand sand sand!!! Sand over the primer, sand everything. Make it slick as glass, and then sand it again to make it even smoother!! In final steps, WET SAND with 800 - 1000 grit sand paper to get it as smooth as possible. SMOOTH IS GOOD, the paint isn't going to "slip off" as some have said, the smoother the better.

Whoever paints it, have them check it to see if it's smooth enough, or needs to be sanded more. Pay them to do it if necessary. It's such an important part... otherwise the paint will flake and chip off.

What color(s) will this turn out to be? Might be a good idea, if you want it color matched, to remove dash pieces and have those painted at the same time (shouldn't take much extra paint or time if they're laid out in the same paint booth.... is this being painted in a booth or just a garage?

Use very fine sand paper and hit those tail lights. Get all paint off of them, but make sure you wet sand it with 1000 grit or so to make sure you don't damage the tail lights themselves. and DON'T SPRAY THE radiator!
Old 05-07-2006, 11:09 PM

Yes. I know. And so does the guy painting it. Smooth is great lol. Hes been sanding the car for 2 days now just making it smooth. The paint has already been matched to the green on the interior. I'm quite partial to that bright green. Its wild, but Mopar used it back in '71 so its been around. I cant wait to get some pics tomorrow nite once the last coat of primer is laid down.Im leavin the tail lights alone and just going to replace them...same for the headlights. I just got a rear window replaced, so Im doing that to the front as well. Thats after I get the interior fiberglassed. I was thinking about tinting the windows blue... what do you guys think?? Ive been going with blue accents on the interior, blue neons, blue AEM C.A.I., blue spark plug wires, blue wire loom, and blue speakers... I figured blue tint was quite appropriate. I could always take it off if I dont like it.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:35 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

black tint

glad to see you doing some more work on it!
Old 05-07-2006, 11:58 PM

I've had black tint before. I just dont want to go TOO dark with whatever tint I use because the police love to pull me over.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:09 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

As majik said, Sand the tail lights with 1000 grit sand paper, but afterwards use mcguire's clear plastic cleaner and polisher from autozone/o'rileys. it's 2 step, cleaner levels/cleans the plastic and polish adds another layer on top.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:29 AM

Thats actually a really good idea. I'll have to go out fri. and get sandpaper. I've only got 60 grit here. If I can clean them up nice I wont have to buy new ones. What do you guys think of the color Im painting the car? Its going to be Mopar's 1971 Grabber Green. Exactly matched with the interior paint. Except for the fact that it will look nice and glassy.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:16 AM

man, the guy sanding your car must have loved all those layers of paint. I think though, you are finally on the right track. I am unsure about the colour though, the Cavalier crowd around here seems partial to it and I just think it makes those boxy cars pretty ugly, maybe the tib will look better because it is already a better looking car?

Keep us informed, it looks like things are finally shaping up for you.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:05 AM

I think itll look good. I mean, I havent seen a Tib yet that color and the only car that color around here is a stupid neon with pink flames. So I still get to have the car that no one else has, without making it look ugly with the two-tone. Im stopping over the garage tonight around 7 to take some more pics. Its getting its third coat of primer tonight.