Vehicle Showroom This forum is for you to post up images of your car, if you do not want to use the Gallery. You can upload directly from your posts or use Imageshack to host files.

RD1 F2 EVO Restoration Project

Old 05-16-2014, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Coupe F2 Evo

haven't had chance to do much recently but did get chance to drop off the n/s sill cover. The sill is in surprisingly good shape and not much rust to be found, certainly no holes so that side won't need any welding. Also dropped off the wing, the build-up of crud behind the wheel spat was quite surprising

60.jpg

65.jpg
Old 05-16-2014, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Keep up the good work!

Watching this with genuine interest
Old 05-18-2014, 08:52 PM

Vehicle: 1997 RD 4-door

same here..what RD owner doesn't feel how old their hyundai looks and feels?
Old 05-22-2014, 11:40 AM

had a few hours free the other day so decided to make a start dropping the rear suspension, took hours just to get this far due to rusted bolts and bolts breaking etc. All the bolts that go through the bushes on the suspension arms are rusted solid to the metal spacers within the bushes so am having to grind the bolts off either side of the bush just to get the arms off. Haven't even started the other side yet.

5.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

4.jpg
Old 05-30-2014, 07:36 AM

The strip down has been continuing, all rear suspension and subframe/crossmember are off the car. To get all this off i've had to grind the bolts off on either side of each bush as the bolts were locked solid to the tube running through the bush.

3.jpg

Rear bumper etc is also now off, bit tatty looking but could have been worse.

2.jpg

View inside the chassis rail where the bumper hangers bolt in place, got a bit of work to do in there.

1.jpg

I was grinding back all the rust on the subframe which at first seemed to be pretty solid. Got to one of the last flat bits when this hole opened up, will be sourcing a new subframe.

88.jpg

next to come off is the petrol tank, fuel & brake lines then i can start to clean up the underside ready for a fresh coat of rust proofing and paint.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:10 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

You have some serious dedication to this project.Log your hours!
Old 06-07-2014, 02:23 PM

over the last couple of weekends i've dropped the fuel tank, filler neck and fuel lines. Just the exhaust, brake lines and h/brake cables to remove then i can start prepping the underneath for the rust proofing and paint.

more pics of each stage can be found on photobucket http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/ro...%20June%202104

6.jpg

9.jpg

This weekend i've cleaned up the filler neck which was pretty rusty. Ground it all back to metal as far as possible and then gave it the full POR15 treatment.

10.jpg

14.jpg

19.jpg

22.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg
Old 06-07-2014, 08:34 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra GLS Sportswagon

Looks like the the car has been in a flood ? the advanced corrosion and the build up of silt behind the wheel spat etc ? What's it like under the carpets ?

Old 06-08-2014, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by XGODZX
Looks like the the car has been in a flood ? the advanced corrosion and the build up of silt behind the wheel spat etc ? What's it like under the carpets ?

haven't had the carpets up yet but the floorpans and chassis rails are solid, i just don't think it's ever been cared for in it's 14 year life. It was also based up a farm track from the previous to one owner so i guess it's sat in mud and wet grass for a while. The build up of crud behind the spat is common on these and needs checking every couple of years, that again i would say is 14years worth of crud.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:00 PM

it's been a while since my last update but things have been moving on, the underside of the car is now completely stripped and i've started removing the old underseal on one of the rear inner arches.

Have also cleaned back and treated the fuel tank straps with por15, these are also now in paint

34.jpg

33.jpg

Have refurbed and rust treated one of the rear knuckles

hub.jpg

hub1.jpg

hub2.jpg

Also made a start repairing the rear ARB, you can see where it has worn away where both bushes go, it's about 1mm thinner in both areas than it should be.

rarb.jpg

rarb1.jpg

Lashed on the chemical metal, with this stuff it's best to put on too much and then when it's cured a bit smooth it over.

rarb2.jpg

rarb3.jpg

Smoothed over and looking better, once totally cured i should be able to sand or grind it to final shape and end up with an ARB that's 17mm in diameter again!

rarb4.jpg

rarb5.jpg

Have also ground back, rust treated and painted both track control arms.

TCA.jpg

Got lots of grinding and prep work to do on the body, will do the other suspension parts in between to break things up a bit.