Vehicle Showroom This forum is for you to post up images of your car, if you do not want to use the Gallery. You can upload directly from your posts or use Imageshack to host files.

Ode To The Silver 2000 Rd2 Tiburon...

Old 08-12-2009, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the life of my wifes silver RD2 2000 Hyundai Tiburon. We purchased the car in April 2003 with 50,000 miles on it. We drove the car all over the U.S. including a couple trips to Colorado, once down to Florida, and most places at least once. We put 76,000 miles on it and it had the transmission replaced once and went through quite a few headlight bulbs, all four wheel bearings (some a couple times), and a couple sets of brakes.
I did all the work myself (with help from my father at times) including the painting of the replacement front bumper cover and mounting & balancing the tires. The car was totaled in July 2009.

Here is the car bone stock:

A couple weeks later with a few new additions (remote starter, racing pedals, XM satellite radio, Sony CD player & door speakers, Firestone WinterForce 195/60R-15 snow tres, and a new front bumper cover that we painted ourselves after a late night encounter with a raccoon):

Old 08-12-2009, 10:45 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Sorry to hear it was totaled, how did it happen?
Old 08-12-2009, 12:55 PM

My wife hit a gaurdrail and rolled it up onto it's side. The car survived in one piece and in my opinion held up really well.
Thankfully she walked away without a scratch on her!

Not long after the above photos I added a smaller/lighter premium 72 month battery that had 800 CCa / 940 CA, custom made 4-gauge grounding wires all over, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra headlights, and a set of Motegi FF6 16x7-inch wheels wrapped inToyo Proxes 4 performance tires sized 205/45ZR-16 with McGard SplineDrive lug nuts.

Then it received the usual bolt ons. I started by adding a custom 3" aluminum true cold air intake system with high flow cone filter, an SSAutoChrome stainless steel header, Motoria 2.25" mandrel bent stainless steel cat-back exhaust. I removed the Motoria fart pipe and sold it to a member here cheap. I added a Flowmaster import series delta flow satinless steel muffler on the car. It was too loud so a while later I changed it to a DynoMax UltraFlo which I liked a lot. With the catalytic converter removed the car had an O2 sensor code which kept the check engine light constantly illuminated. At first I tried relocating the rear sensor to further down stream in the exhaust which didn't work. Then I moved the pre catalyst sensor out of the primary header tube and into the collector, which didn't help either. I bought some spark plug non foulers hoping they would do the trick, but still the CEL was on. I broke down and bought a good high flow catalytic converter thinking it would clean enough to make the rear sensor get a more correct 'cleaner' reading. Negative! Then I bought some new Bosch O2 sensors thinking maybe it was just time. Unfortunately the results were the same. So lastly I ordered brand new factory O2 sensors directly Hyundai and yet again no change. Thus I lived with the CEL until the car got totaled.
Other performance upgrades included some NGK iridium spark plugs, MSD 8.5mm SuperConductor wires, Redline water wetter, System Upgrade 600mm big bore throttle body, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacer full race kit, OBX lightweight aluminum underive crank pulley, OBX lightweight aluminum water pump & power steering pulleys, an Air Ram intake manifold, ...
For sex appeal I purchased a pair of black housing Euro tails, a V.I.S. carbon fiber 'invader' hood, and a pair of OEM Hyundai clear clorners. I also got another 'cover/scoop' for the driver side bumper as you can see too.
To make it handle slightly better I also purchased an Air Ram compatible front strut brace and a Shark Racing rear strut brace.
For a more firm brake pedal I installed a full set of Goodridge stainless steel brake hoses.
I also had to replace the autotragic transmission in the car.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:27 PM

Old 08-19-2009, 10:47 PM

Vehicle: 2012 mitsubishi eclipse spyder gs, 2001 hyundai tiburon

Sorry to hear. So are you going to try and rebuild or part out?

Or did the insurance take it?
Old 08-20-2009, 08:12 AM

I already parted it out, and the insurance took it.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:47 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

WOW, i hope shes ok...that looks kinda bad.

OT-got the bar btw....thanks again!
Old 08-20-2009, 08:52 AM

It's about time!!!
Glad you're satisfied with it, looks like a good piece!

She is fine...walked out without a scratch!
Amazing considering how badly she tore up that guardrail!!!!

Old 08-20-2009, 01:12 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

Looks like the CF hood held up fairly well...

What happened? wet roads?
Old 08-20-2009, 02:34 PM

My wife was travelling in the right hand lane when she hit the rumble strips on the side of the road. She then over corrected (jerked the wheel) and it sent the car skidding onto the left shoulder. When the car hit the gravel it spun her back towards the right side of the road where she came in contact with the guardrail.