Vehicle Showroom This forum is for you to post up images of your car, if you do not want to use the Gallery. You can upload directly from your posts or use Imageshack to host files.

Interior Pics....almost done

Old 02-09-2005, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's pretty cool, although a little too much since it's not a show car.
I want to do that to my car, but not that extreme, just some dark blue.
You should write a DIY and let MADTIB fix it up wink1.gif
Old 02-09-2005, 03:50 PM

I think you forgot to ask your local paint store to add vinyl/rubber/leather paint elasticity additive so your steering wheel paint wouldn't crack and look FUBAR.

I actually like the color combination... on the doors at least. However blue and white = OK. Blue+white+green = WTF

But it really doesn't look as bad as people tend to point out. I've seen much worse.

BTW did you use a compressor/paint gun or did you can it?
Old 02-09-2005, 03:52 PM

well Hyundai is Korean...so therefore its not domestic...and I dont quite get what you meant about the neons...but thanks about the paint job.

ok heres about the colors...I first painted it white and blue...then changed it to orange and blue...then red and blue...and last lime green and blue...I got sick of the green and blue bc it reminded me of a cremesaver lol...so the green you see is the "leftovers" I didnt get to yet...and the steering wheel..lol...well...it was really cold that day..and my car wouldnt start bc my amp has been sucking alot of power and blah blah long story..car wouldnt start I got pissed and punched the steering wheel...the paint was cold..and I didnt have many coats on it..so it just like...blew up lol it was pretty cool...but I havent gotten around to taking care of that yet either..im going to do that as soon as I paint my glove box blue as well....

The paint I used was Dupli-Color Universal White and Ford Blue Engine Enamel...out of a spray can...it sticks really nice..and doesnt crack due to heat or cold...although its not too fond of being punched when its cold out lol
Old 02-09-2005, 03:59 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (E.C.Customs)</div><div class='quotemain'>first about the neons...if you place them under the dash how are they going to illuminate the dash.</div>

They don't illuminate the dash.The light shines out from under the dash,and it is very bright.How do I know this? Hmmm........maybe because I did it.

Another thing, if you are going to go to the trouble of painting things,you really need to remove it from the car.I mean really, how much common sense do you have?
Old 02-09-2005, 04:07 PM

Um you painted the dash while it was in the car... OMFG
BAD IDEA, for one your car will smell like a collision shop for god knows how long. Secondly now I get why your windshield has paint on it lol. And third you cant expect to get good even coats if you try and paint it inside the car.

I don't know but, really, I have yet to see a good paint job that was done using spray cans. It just doesn't look "right" to me. Course I'm not saying people that aren't lucky to have an air compressor out in the back yard should buy one to paint the interior; but having one myself and painting my interior with it, when I see other peoples cars that have painted interiors done with spray cans, it just stands out that much more.

Also the additive would have let you punch the steering wheel and it wouldn't have cracked since this additive let's you paint leather seats. Get my drift?

And like my dad always says when choosing paint colors and such:

Think thrice, sand/clean twice, paint once.

It never fails me lol
Old 02-09-2005, 04:13 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

MADTIB, everyone IS entitled to their opinion..and i think you've made yours VERY clear. don't be an ***hole about it man.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:15 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tibu971.8L)</div><div class='quotemain'>Think thrice, sand/clean twice, paint once.
It never fails me lol</div>

Best advice EVER. Painting isn't the important part, its the prepping that counts. Spray cans do work well if you spend the forty minutes or so to prep a piece correctly. That means inside, away from dust, clean it thoroughly, sand it down, clean it again, and clean it again for good measure.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:26 PM

ok ok ok ok wow....a lot of negative feedback...first of all...when I FIRST started to paint it last year...I didnt know how to take the dash out...so yea...I painted it all in there...which was a bad idea....just this past 3 weeks I joined this site...asked how to take it out...and got my answers...I took out the dash...took off the door panels...and everything...sanded it down...not much..just to make it rough....cleaned it so I had no dust or dirt on it....and painted even coats...thinly..not too thick....from different angles...the paint on the windshield however has been there for a while...I just havent gotten around to scraping it off....if you look in the pics youll notice the upper half of the dash is white....I couldnt figure out for the life of me how to take that out so I left it in there...and I think it came out rather nice...Im not a professional painter....Im just going by trial and error...I didnt know how to add an additive to a paint can..so I just used the enamel...and when anything gets cold enough itll crack.plus....Im not entirely done either...if youve noticed the title also says almost done.....
Old 02-09-2005, 04:40 PM

No you don'tadd the additive to the paint can yourself. You go to a car paint store or your local Home improvement store (maybe; not Home depot or anything like that). Then you tell them what color you want (usually they have catalogs of paint colors), pick a color and then they usually ask if you want it in a can or if you want it for paint gun use. Tell em you want the canned version and tell its for painting rubber/leather. They will add the additive when they are in the mixing process. They then add the paint to the spray cans and pressurize them.

At least I have a local paint shop that does this. I assume it is done in most paint stores (automotive variety). Also this is the same additive you SHOULD USE when painting plastic bumpers and bodykits since these parts expand/contract A LOT with temp. changes. Usually when they don't use the additive the paint will look like desert ground(lots of cracks and lines) because the paint is not elastic.

I cant remember the additives name right now. I'll try and look it up.

Also BTW I am in no way flaming you or anything, just trying to mention some tips/tricks I've learned while working with my dad. Overall I can honestly say the work you did turned out well.

Keep on modding. laugh.gif
Old 02-09-2005, 05:08 PM

thanks for the info...the only part that cracked was my steering wheel..everything else turned out fine.