Vehicle Showroom This forum is for you to post up images of your car, if you do not want to use the Gallery. You can upload directly from your posts or use Imageshack to host files.

H&R/KYB GR2 review - with pics

Old 07-06-2004, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay its been 3 months since I had the H&R Sport springs, and KYB GR2 shock/struts installed.

Now its time to review laugh.gif

<u>Looks:</u>

Definatly a <span style="color:#ff0000">A+</span> here, it's hard for me to imagine how my car looked with the <span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%">huge</span> wheel gaps it used to have - now no more wheel gap!
with the stock 195/60/14's I had on, it was lower to the ground, and I could fit 2 fingers between the wheel and fender.
Now with my low pro's (205/40/17) I can only fit 1 finger straight in.
(which I beleive is a bit illegal here, 'cause im sure your only allowed 2 police officer fingers LOL)
anyway, back to topic,...

<span style="color:#ff4040"><u>Looks have improved 100</u></span>%

<u>The Ride</u>:

The hood does'nt fly up when you hit the gas pedal from a dead stop.
And the same goes for power braking, ... the nose does'nt dive nearly as much as it did. I have experienced wheel hop at times, but not since I got my new Hankook tires.

With 195/60 tires The ride was firm yet still comfortable (my roads are pretty good).
With 205/40 a definate noticable difference is felt - and I LOVE IT!.
<span style="color:#ff0040"><u>A very firm ride</u></span>, and can feel everything wrong in the road your driving on.I for one love this, others may not.

<u>Cornering:</u>

Did someone say "body roll"? , Well not anymore. okay maybe not zero body roll, but hardly any compared to stock.
you can fly around corners granted you have new rubber (like me! tongue.gif)
It is soooo tight, no screeching of the tires either.
Lane changes on the highway are beautiful. You can shift so fast into the next lane it's not even funny. you can scare the sh!t out of people pretty good to, because they've never seen a car <span style="color:#ff0040">turn on a dime </span>before.

I got a honk from someone when I did this once on the highway, it was totally safe when I did it.
I think they were just pissed off that I happened to be ahead of them - heaven forbid.

The drop height is suppost to be 1.6 F , 1.5 R
It's not exactly at those measurements, but pretty close - I'm happy.

Here are some pictures of before and after:

Before:

Today's the day

Holy Wheel gap batman!

After:

LOWERED! With 195/60/14(stock all seasons)

H&R / KYB GR2

With Fastco Nitro 1 17" wheels

New pics:

I hope this gives some insight to people concered with this suspension upgrade (Pro's/Con's)
SO far I have had nothing but joy with this set-up.
but I have had the occasional "scrape" from time to time, just due to the fact that I have to relearn what my car can and can't go over.
I hav'nt scraped in awhile now, so im getting used to it - LOVE IT!!

-Chris
Old 07-06-2004, 05:46 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Hmm...

Costs?

Ride Quality? As in bumpy as hell? I've got a wife and kid, someone's riding in the back.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:48 PM

VERY NICE

those rims are intense! I love them!

good work!
Old 07-06-2004, 05:57 PM

good write up, nice wheels

I am going to install my set of KYB's soon, can't wait.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:58 PM

Vehicle: Hyosung GT650

Looks prety good mang.
Now you need some tint on those windows, and a lip would finish the front off nice IMO.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:34 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Nice to hear good things aboot the KYB's. I'm thinking of getting them in the near future!
Old 07-06-2004, 09:03 PM

you installed the shocks the same time you installed the springs, correct? so you wouldnt be able to tell the difference between stock shocks+H&R and kyb+H&R?? im need some new rear shocks and right now im thinkin of tokico's or maybe koni's, but not sure
Old 07-06-2004, 09:29 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

very good write up, but how much did you have to spend????

oh and whats "power baking"
tongue.gif
Old 07-06-2004, 09:40 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hmm...

Costs?

Ride Quality? As in bumpy as hell? I've got a wife and kid, someone's riding in the back.</div>

It cost me from start to finish aprox $1,350 CAN (includes install & 4 wheel allignment)
Aprox $1,018.81 US

Yeah, it's like a go-cart ride, but with better shocks, lol
It's just what you'd expect from lowering springs, yes it is very bumpy when you hit some bad road, but not like the ass is flyin off the seat bumpy.

if comfort is important to you, ... this is not for you.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (col96fx)</div><div class='quotemain'>Looks prety good mang.
Now you need some tint on those windows, and a lip would finish the front off nice IMO.</div>

Thanks for the input smile.gif
I am planning on adding tint in one month, I will think about the Lip smile.gif

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blacktibby00)</div><div class='quotemain'>Nice to hear good things aboot the KYB's. I'm thinking of getting them in the near future!</div>

get 'em they are worth it

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (01roller)</div><div class='quotemain'>you installed the shocks the same time you installed the springs, correct? so you wouldnt be able to tell the difference between stock shocks+H&R and kyb+H&R?? im need some new rear shocks and right now im thinkin of tokico's or maybe koni's, but not sure</div>

the koni' yellow's , i've heard good things, But I also heard there is some modification involved.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (loneshark)</div><div class='quotemain'>very good write up, but how much did you have to spend????

oh and whats "power baking"
tongue.gif</div>

LMAO,
sorry for the typo.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:03 PM

Now, get a set of sway bars!
and it's a WHOLE NEW WORLD AGAIN!
Body roll will even be less!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (x7xstring)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah, it's like a go-cart ride, but with better shocks, lol
It's just what you'd expect from lowering springs, yes it is very bumpy when you hit some bad road, but not like the ass is flyin off the seat bumpy.

if comfort is important to you, ... this is not for you.</div>

Actually, my eibachs felt the same if not better than stock, comfort wise.
And still handled like it was on rails like you described.
Mine's only a mild drop 1.25", which settled to 1.5" or so.
It really is a Riding Delight!!! tongue.gif
But yeah, I have no comfort issues with the eibachs, (pro kit springs and struts)
Yours will settle to about 2".

And yeah I think mine will fit 2 fat fingers of most policemen, hopefully yours will be a chick when it gets checked out wink1.gif