Vehicle Showroom This forum is for you to post up images of your car, if you do not want to use the Gallery. You can upload directly from your posts or use Imageshack to host files.

Cleaning The Engine?

Old 06-17-2007, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In never knew how you guys got the codes from your cel's and what pisses me off the most is that the the engine bay is still dirty as hell. Right now I have the hood up trying to let everything that I can't see thats wet dry up, and im going at it with a tooth brush and armour all ha. Thanks alot for the help. We called a god mechanic friend and he said its not that I got the alternator wet or anything like that, he said its the plugs and that i got them wet inside.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:03 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

When I cleaned my engine bay with water, once, the problem was water in the spark plug holes. just pull the spark plugs out and crank the engine. Then put them back in and let it rock and roll. The water is most likely grounding out spark plugs. if your check engine light flashed at all it is because of a misfire and the problem is almost definately water in the spark plug holes.

I now only use silicone lube, toothbrush, rag and a bit of water for cleaning my engine.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:23 PM

K, now its splurting and couging out lots of blackish coloured water out the exaust!! Wouldnt that mean water actually got in the exaust somehow. What do I do with the plugs?..when it comes out from the plug cover just pop those 4 off? or do i have to take off the plug cover? Please help guys.

I took of the plug cover and pulled out the long plug plug things and there was sooo much water in there. If I dropped the long things back in there it would slosh and sound like a puddle in there, so I took about 30 minutes drying those out by taking a strips of cloth and dippping it in each hole and pushing it down in with a broken spoke of a dirtbike ha. Well I dried that out as much as I could and it was for sure running better and there was no coughing of water out of the pipe but stil had the cel. So we drove it around town takin it easy and went to get milk at a convience store and then it started feeling like it was going to stall. Drove home and almost got in an accident on the way home because of some fvcking biker almost in the middle of the road coming over a hill. I think the riding a bicycle on the road is one of the stupidst laws ever. So I didn't have time to hit the breaks and changed lanes and almost cut off a civic. Fvcking scary as hell, first close encounter. But when I got hom still same cel and im goin to bed pissed that I ever wanted to just cleaning my damn engine!! I am for sure goin to look for the black magic stuff until I find it. No hosing down needed.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:22 PM
DTN

The black is unburned fuel. the water means it is burning clean again finally. A clean burning engine will drip some water from the tail pipe. The water is picking up some of the unburned fuel from the exhaust from when it was running badly.

You can clear the CEL by unplugging the - battery terminal for 1 minute.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:23 PM

It wasnt dripping water, It was spitting out, alot. I took out the plugs and there was lots of carbon on it so cleaned them all and made sure there was no water in there and no the cel is gone and its running fine. Glad that's over. Now im gonna go try to find the black magic, maybe some silicon.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:50 PM

A little better after some armour all. Not good enough though.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:22 PM
DTN

If you use silicone, rags, a toothbrush, and about 2 hours, you'll see some of an improvement. Oddly enough when you step back, you'll see some dirty spots, but others will look at your engine and say it's cleanest thing ever... I don't know why, but that's just how it works. Maybe being so close to it, you see everything, but others won't. The biggest thing when you're doing a engine detailing is to work from top to bottom. Armor-all should be reserved for car shows though because it collects dust and ruins all your hard work.

Your engine looks generally clean and pretty neat. the biggest thing you'd need to work on is your metals with a toothbrush, not to mention you can get all that "gunk" off with silicone lube. It looks good though comparied to the first pic.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Wasn't it you that was asking me about cleaning?

The stuff you used is just engine cleaner, you need to get an engine DETAILER to get it frigging OEM new looking.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:29 AM
DTN

Whoah, that's degreased and without shine? Yeah, man, get some engine bright or engine shine or something.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:52 PM

Yeah I was just talking to you REDZ and thats how it turned out ha. DTN, ha well I can't clean rust. Everything is pretty bad.