Vehicle Showroom This forum is for you to post up images of your car, if you do not want to use the Gallery. You can upload directly from your posts or use Imageshack to host files.

Center Bar, Mixed Up A Notch.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok being that i have one i guess i have a say.

well, i have mine installed the "normal" way. Redzman you say that bolting the brackets to the pre-existing seatbelt holes in better for mounting. which i DO agree with, that ensures a tight hold that will never go anywhere(hopefully, lol). but those 2 bolts on both seatbelt mounting points do nothing to assist the bar in putting outward pressure to the frame(neither does SOCKS's way). it could not, it is connected to a thin piece of aluminum then the bar. with he seatbelt bolt being a foot away this bracket would only flex.....

now my point is both ways are about equal in performance(they both push out just as well), and my "normal way" is better for easy install. but a 2 solid bots with locking threads and locking washers ALL the way through the frame is much more secure than a bolt 1 foot away not actually holding the bar, but rather the bracket (thin aluminum). the "normal way" does have 2 more moutning points, BUT they only go half way thrugh the frame and only hold vie their threading(not all the way threw and tightened down on both ends).

if i did it again, i would do it my way. just because it would be easier for me. well thats my 2 cents. feel free to correct me.

PS. overkill would be to do it my way then the 2 screws that go halfway through could go all the way thrugh like socks did
Old 07-16-2007, 02:33 AM
Banned

first of all.. its part of the frame that the 'stud' is drilled into, and i assure you, its much thicker than simple sheet metal.. the way the bar was tightened pushing outwards, you can't even rotate the bar forward, then the pulling of the nut from the other side just assures and even better connection to the frame.

the only reason the brackets are there is for ease of installation. its not helping hold the bar to the frame any better. i also have the eyelit in the middle secured with a 1/4" bolt (not like that will help much, but it will keep the middle of bar in place)

if someone was going to put in a subframe connector (this bar) and do it the right way, they only thing different that would be done is welding it, and possible frame reinforcement for welding it in.

bolting the bar to the mounts, and having the MAIN bolt 10" away isn't helping the function of the bar at all. and the other two anchor bolts, that are just self tapped into the frame, really aren't doing much.

the point of the bar is to provide a more rigid frame, using the brackets, compared to this way is making the frame no more rigid. like jeromy said, its not assisting the bar in pushing the bar against the frame.. if anything, having the studs and the nuts on the other end putting a pulling stress (towards outside of car) and the bar pushing against the frame would be better..

even if this way is not better, its not any worse than the other way.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:39 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Think what you want man, it's simple design. The brackets are there to hold the bar into place. The bar is meant to be installed with no worries about drilling into anything or any cutting. The bar would be EASIER to install without the brackets, so no, it's not for "ease of installation".
Old 07-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Banned

lol, and my way holds the bar in its place better... and looks 100X better..

the only reason the brackets are there is do they can sell this one bar and have it work for a whole shitload of cars..

and yeah, i made this simple design even simpler, yet as effective if not more effective..

my design puts the same, if not more outward force on the frame as the 'universal' design.

i didn't say everyone should do this, cuz i know some people don't wanna do it a different way, even if it might be better.. it even takes less time to do it this way. (you have to run to the hardware store either way)

the bar may be easier to install for someone thats too scared to pop off the side skirts, but i wouldn't think that would be a huge deal for anyone modding their tib.

please don't lock this post too, just because you have a differing opinion on it..
Old 07-16-2007, 07:25 PM

I'm not going to lock it, you are just plain wrong though. The brackets are there to mount the bar to the car. So it doesn't pop out or slide around. That's why they are there. The brackets are designed in the way they are so that they will fit all kinds of cars. That's called intelligent design.

Your way won't hold the bar in place better than the way they were designed to mount, at all, it's just not the way it works. Yours looks no better, and if you cut a small slot in each carpet side, they would look identical.

Don't be angry because you didn't think of it and had to unmold your shit.

And don't tell me what to do on this site, it's not your position, and it's not my fault you quit. Asking the same questions over and over after it's been answered. Well, I digress.

How this install could be hard for anyone, I have no clue. Taking the sideskirts off would make it harder, for no reason.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:43 PM

wow man it came out nice looks alot better than my sr center bar
Old 07-16-2007, 08:44 PM
Banned

lol, obviously you didn't read or just don't understand what i did.. so don't tell me im wrong when i am right, and you just don't understand the concept of how i installed the thing.

the sole purpose of the bracket is so the company can make money by selling them for tons of cars. they didn't design it to maximize effectiveness, they did it to maximize profits..

the bar is bolted SOLID to the frame.. theres no way it can pop out, or twist, or rotate..

i would have to say you are probably the ONLY person on here who actually would think that the looks factor is better with some gaudy brackets, illegally mounted to the seatbelt bracket i might add, with 1-2 other anchor bolts.

yeah, lets cut a slit in the carpet, drill two holes, take the seatbelt bolt off, making the car non legal, instead of popping out two clips on the side skirt.. like i said, it would be no harder to do it either way..

i quit the moderator position cuz it was a complete joke.. and im not telling you what to do mr. nazi, i just said please don't lock my post.

and i love the don't be angry cuz i had to unmold my shit comment.. yeah, that doesn't make much sense, but go figure. i never said i was angry.. yeah i didn't think of some other way of cutting a slit in my carpet, making the install even harder.. that makes TONS of sense..
Old 07-17-2007, 07:40 AM

I understand what you did completely, and it's silly. Now you are saying you drilled holes in the FRAME to mount it to? How long did it take you to cut 2 1/2 inch holes through the frame with that drill? LMAO You didn't say anything about the frame until your post above, but now it's done through the frame. That might be nice and strong, but the point is, I can move my whole car by pulling up and down on my bar, and it's in place as tight as yours, by pushing it out the way it's designed.

Looking at the brackets, and having installed a few of these myself, the brackets were designed...

1. To fit more than one type of car. God forbid someone wants to make a profit.

2. To easily be installed without drilling.

If they wanted to maximize profits, they'd just have told folks to do what you did, and not included the bars at all. That would save on parts costs, and shipping weight.

Mine doesn't pop out, twist, or rotate either, unless I loosen the middle connector.

The brackets aren't Gaudy, they are just brackets. Part of the parts needed for installation. Judges at the car shows don't gasp and say "OMFG! He's got brackets holding that center bar in place! OMFGWTFBBQ!!!"

And illegally mounted? Since when is it illegal to remove a seatbelt bolt on your car and put it back on? Stop grasping for straws mang, no need to get so pissy. What anchor bolts are you talking about? I don't have any anchor bolts on mine.

Who said anything about drilling any holes? Not me. You are the only one here drilling any holes. I said cut 2 slots for the brackets, then they are completely hidden. Holes? Taking the seatbelt off would be illegal, but since I'm not doing that, and never have, I have no worries. My bolt came off, bracket went on, and bolt went back on. Wow. Show me how you can do this your way with only 2 clips coming off on the skirts. Oh, and since those clips break when you take them off, you have to replace them. So, that, plus your other parts list, make this more expensive too. I just wanna see pics of this going through the FRAME.

How was being a moderator a joke? All you did was go around threatening folks all the time. Well SOCKS, I've gotten 2 complaints from folks since you quit, about talking shit about them in the shoutbox. Keep it up, and you'll be gone quicker than Kitfox.

Stop acting like a b**** and act like a man for once.

I haven't done anything NAZI like yet, at least nothing close to the BS you pulled as a moderator. You talk like this, act like a 12 year old, then don't want your thread closed? I think you are bi-polar, and really REALLY need some medical help. Grow up dude, act like an adult, and maybe some good shit will happen to you.

Oh.

I forgot.

CLOSED!
Old 07-17-2007, 09:22 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Socks if you would like to reply to REDZ comments or questions, you can send me your post in a PM and I will put it in this thread.