Vehicle Showroom This forum is for you to post up images of your car, if you do not want to use the Gallery. You can upload directly from your posts or use Imageshack to host files.

Another Catch Can

Old 02-04-2008, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Everyone has seen catch cans. Cheap ones, Expensive shiny ones, and then the homemade ones. I prefer the homemade ones. if I remember coorectly I saw a DIY on elantraxd for making a catch can out of a small air compressor filter housing. Looked good to me, and for the most part I followed the guide to the T. Except for one aspect. They tell you to take out the stock metal air filter and leave the whole cavity in the bowl empty, and it should work. I tried this for a few days, and it wasn't catching anything. Hmmmm... I wondered. So I hit up my local Advance Auto Parts and bought some breather element filter thingamajigs, and cut it down to size to fit nicely into the bowl. Now with that it will not only catch the obvious drips of oil, but also filter the vapor so it doesn't recondense in the intake manifold and still have oil making it's way into the intake system. The picture below is after two weeks of being used. It may look dirty, but actually that is just a light coating on the outside part of the filter, the internal part of the filter is almost still virgin.

Homemade Catch Can

So this is my latest little project. Now I'm just waiting on shipping of a front strut tower bar and HID lighting system I just ordered off of ebay.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:29 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Yeah, this is the same one we have posted here, just mounted. This is a common cheap DIY, and it's talked about a lot here on RD.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:03 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Please tell me you don't have the filter still there?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:09 PM

not the stock filter that came with the unit, i got rid of that first. just the breather element filter is in there now.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:39 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Take that out. You don't need it. The nipple going into the can should have a block inside so its not straight through.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:29 AM
Banned

yeah take the breather element out. there is a blocker in there in between the two nipples. looks pretty nice and a nice install.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:19 PM

I actually took it out yesterday when i had to relocate the catch can since i was installing a front strut tower brace and had to move that sensor around. It wasn't doing much in there anyways. Thanks tanc and SOCKS.