Vehicle Showroom This forum is for you to post up images of your car, if you do not want to use the Gallery. You can upload directly from your posts or use Imageshack to host files.

The '97 Scca Tib (no 56k - Tons Of Pics)

Old 03-13-2006, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX

Well, as most of you know, I bought the SCCA tib off e-bay. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that I snagged it and I can't wait to drive it (needs a muffler and I need to bleed the brakes), but it's wasn't as perferct as one may think by looking at the ad - well, nothing is, but here's the "ugly" side. Really, I just wanted some opinions on what to do in regards to the body. smile.gif

There are numerous gaps in the body with more broken tabs than functional ones and some parts being held on by zipties. Here's a few pics of broken tabs creating gaps in the body and one ziptie pic:

Here's the taillight and headlight gaps (and a crack in the bumper):

The seat is completely worn with no cushion (sitting on a metal bar with a piece of cloth on it (tried to show how loose the fabric is in the 2nd pic but it didn't come out too well):

A pic of the lightweight 15" wheels in case anyone was wondering (will have 14 spares):

Plus the hood latch release doesn't work. Someone has to hold the release while another person pulls up on the hood, and the paint is f#cked by the stickers that were on the car. Basically, it would need a LOT of body work. Would the body pieces with broken tabs probably need to be replaced or is there some easy fix that I'm not aware of? I'm not trying to make it a show car by any means, but I like my car to look decent (former GK owner of course). If I can fix some of the gaps and get it painted black, that's all I'd want to do. I still haven't driven it yet (aside from moving it into the garage) because the brakes need to be bled and it's LOUD with no muffler. I just got the seat moved up as far as it goes yesterday for my short little legs (lol) so all I've gotten to do is just look at it and try and pretzel my way into the seat (tight squeeze). Perhaps when I drive it I won't even think about the ziptie bumper.

Also, as for getting it registered... it WAS going to be easy, I had him fill out all the necessary paperwork and all I had to do was submit it. NOW I find out the car is registered under his wife's name and there's still a lien from 1997 on it. It's been paid off, but the lien was never released. THEN, he sends me an e-mail asking if there's anyway we can NOT involve his wife. Oh great sad.gif
Old 03-13-2006, 09:58 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

you still got the car for a good price. i'll take the ecu if u ever wanna sell it
Old 03-13-2006, 10:17 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

uhm... that kinda sucks dude. i woulda looked at that and said, "thanks but no thanks" and just gone home.

maybe thats just me dunno.gif
Old 03-13-2006, 10:25 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

that tib is just asking for a new body"kit" paneling. By "kit" I do not mean a veilside or the likes because if I bought that car I would track the shit out of it (that's what it's built for..)

But maybe some more agressive stylings along the sides and an f2 front bumper with some kind of new rear...

and some damn paint..
Old 03-13-2006, 10:38 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Yeah dude that's not really bad at all..
Get a bodykit, fix the brakes, get some corners, new seats, cat-back exhaust, and paint it.
Put like $2k into and it will be a very nice looking, FAST, RD1 tib.
Still a hell of a deal, $3500 for that engine with 4k miles, that sweet ecu/cam combo....

I've got RD1 FX seats in my garage and some corners I could give you for cheap.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:42 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

I will soon have a stock RD1 front bumper you can have for cheap too...(painted black pearl)
Old 03-13-2006, 11:46 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

you might not even need new panels. spend a day or two and take off all the body panels and put them back on. chances are you can get things ligned up pretty good.

its a racecar, so they probably didnt put much effort into getting the body panels put back on perfect after working on the engine for all that time.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:39 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Yeah, not bad at all, don't get disheartened.

First, I wouldn't do ANYTHING to it till you get the title/lien figured out and DONE.

Second, go get you a pressure washer, some warm water and some "Goo Gone". You can get all that sticker residue off easily. Use the "Goo Gone", then wash it after you are done. Wax it, good to go.

As for the body panels and such, get you a new hood, some FG Fenders from Erebruni or Flyrydes, and a bodykit, that'll fix all those other issues.

Clean up the interior, replace that seat, and you are done.

Seriously, it's not that much work.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:46 AM

Do you think it's pushin 170-180 horses like the guy said it is?? How's it drive & handle??
Old 03-14-2006, 08:03 AM

Vehicle: 99 Tibron

wonder why the guy didn't post these pictures on the auction, hummmm smile.gif