USA - Southwest Southwest USA members here.

I'm Comin' Ta Bakersfield!

Old 03-29-2007, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

I'll be at Buttonwillow Raceway from 6am on Saturday until the track goes cold on Sunday (usually things are planned to end around 5pm). It's a NASA Tt Shootout Event so High Performance Driver's Education 1 through 4 will be running along with HPDE 4/TT races and probably some other car club (like BMWCCA, PCA, VARA, CalClub, HSR-West, etc.) and maybe the drifters.

Working a corner gets you a front row view, or bring your tiburon out for an HPDE 1 or 2 session for two days, it's priced affordably and if you work the corners you get track bucks for doing so (once you're trained). which = free track time!

If anyone is interested in helping our team work the corners or just meeting up lemme know. I will not be driving the tib, I'll probably be driving a 35 foot long RV filled with 6 to 10 other guys and girls from my town.

what was that guys name again with the purple tib? Larry?

hahahaha, I'm just playing Gary. hope to see you there if you're not busy.

TRACK FACTS + track map
Old 03-29-2007, 11:57 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

working the corners? just wondering what that means in track terms. have a good time!
Old 03-30-2007, 10:59 AM

I pimps da ho's to race car drivers.

no really, if you don't know what corner working is (on a racetrack) here's the quick and dirty..

Generally, cornerworkers hold flags to regulate the racetrack - red, black, blue, yellow, green, checkered, and meatball flags - and are equipped with fire-extinguishers and radios, and a strange will to stand in the hot sun all day while people crash all around them at over 150 MPH.

Buttonwillow is a HUGE racetrack and there is always a very large turnout for these NASA events. I garuntee there will be crashes (unfortunetly) in the highly competitive classes. Last month, we had the stock cars running laps more like bumper cars than race cars, week before that I had a bmw flip over on it's top and i had to spray the car down so it wouldn't catch fire. couple months before that I had a different bimmer slam into a wall at over 95mph about 5 feet behind where I was standing, the concrete wall linked together by ree-bar moved about 15 feet and I moved about 30 in 1 millisecond, LOL.

It's fun stuff... (even when there aren't crashes)

Screw your taxes and come race with me April 14-15 at Buttonwillow! drillsergeant.gif
Old 04-18-2007, 09:52 AM

I guess this could be called, I'm Comin' Ta Bakersfield II.

May 5-6th. Willow springs Raceway. I'd like to extend my invitation to the SoCal Hyundai Community once again (even though no one ever shows). Your welcome to pay and race, work and race for free, or just work and make money. If you are completely new to this, we'll train you and you'll have the best seat in the house to watch the races.

Like last weekend (at Buttonwillow), I believe there should be another Night Enduro Sat. Night (the 5th). VERY fun stuff. Last weekend's was in the rain. w00t!

anywho, directions, track maps, info, etc. etc...

May 5-6th!

Oh, here is the website to CaliPhotography (they take on track pics). Be prepared for thousands of photos... But it'll give you an idea of how close we are to the action. yay!

http://www.caliphotography.com/photography...NASA/index.html
Old 04-18-2007, 06:20 PM

I'm actually planning on being here. But I was planning on going in my Charger.....

Old 04-18-2007, 10:20 PM

even better!
Old 05-04-2007, 01:26 PM

Spiffy, give me a call when you get there.

(928)-221-8698. I wanna go for a ride in the charger. What are you going to be running in? HPDE? first time?

We're gonna be leaving today and arriving tonight to get drunk and abuse the free hotel rooms/jacuzzi/mini bars, et cetera..

So pay no attention to hung over corner workers mooning drivers at 8am tomorrow morning...
nana.gif

-patrick

dude, I just got the sweetest rental car.

I'll be the one wearing aviators driving in a Toyota Yaris. LMAO

I may just enter it into HPDE 1&2, Yaris or BUST! lmao.gif
Old 05-09-2007, 09:58 PM

welp, aside from finding a Toyota Yaris' aerodynamic top speed, it was a fun weekend.

George, sorry I missed you. When you arrived there were 3 Formula TR cars off in the ditch outside my Turn, it was busy times...

See the Formula Racer off in the ditch?

Hope you had fun at your NRA shindig..

oh and FYI, this is the route I was trying to explain over the phone, in the wind, while pulling 13 year olds out of crashed cars...

All in all, it was a very pleasant weekend. No Hyundais. Of course. But hopefully that will change down the road.

Here's the big photobucket of photos I was able to take from the Turn 4-5-6 Complex.

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x135/Na...llow%20Springs/

and some highlights.

This is the view from "The Balcony" It gives you an idea of how much of an elevation change this track has. I think it's like a 300ft. difference between Turn 4 and the Tower.

Here's a shot from the Tower looking back up the hill towards 4.

These are the Formula TR kids I was talking about.

And here they are as they come through 4

And those who didn't quite make it to my corner.

Those kids are so friggin' lucky. I am jealous. To give you an idea of WHO is driving these things, those green concrete barriers are about 3 feet tall. And that's the #85 driver standing next to it after he crashed his race car due to a little too agressive passing by #35 (a 13 year old girl).

The driver's ages range from 11 to 18. I walked over to the kid to see if he wanted some gatorade or shade or something (since he was stuck there watching all the others finish the race till he could get a ride back to back paddock), and all I wanted to do was like pat him on the head. He was 13 for christ sake... haha. Lucky lil' kid.,

High Performance Drivers Education 3

These shots kinda give you an idea of how damn close I was to these cars. When they'd cut the inside of 4 to pass, I'd get a nice cloud of rocks to the face...

HPDE 4 and "Time Attack"

Group A Racers

if you'd like to get involved (whether it's racing, HPDE, or making money on the side like I do..) PM me, or get on www.nasaforums.com (SoCal Region). Or wwwclubracingaz.com

here's what's left of the 07 season (for SoCal).

June 9/10- Buttonwillow
July 7/8- Willow Springs
Aug 11/12- Willow Springs
Sept 13-16- Mid Ohio *National Championship Event*
Oct 13/14- Buttonwillow
Nov 10/11- Buttonwillow

more professional photos to be posted on hirevonline.com (have to register to see) for those ineterested..