USA - Southeast USA - Southeast members here.
View Poll Results: Price Range You Prefer
Sleeping in my car
14.29%
$125-$150 for 2 nights
42.86%
$150-$180 for 2 nights
14.29%
$180-$215 for 2 nights
28.57%
Big Pimpin' over $215 for 2 nights
0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Nopi Hotel Debate

Old 02-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

We will open a new thread with a poll of final hotel choices later. Right now, we need to discuss what hotels we should look at. Atlanta has tons, and various prices.

I prefer staying at a decent place that's cheap, but still nicer than a motel 6.

somewhere between 2.5 stars and 4 stars (out of 5). I'd prefer to keep it around $175 after tax for 2 nights.

Dates:
Check-in: Sept. 14 (Fri)
Check-out: Sept. 16 (Sun)
NOPI Show: Sept. 15-16 (Sat/Sun)

Based on prior years, both REDZ and I prefer staying near the airport. Several hotels, places to eat, things to do, and cars to see.

Here is an Excel spreadsheet I've created.

IF ANYONE HAS PRICE UPDATES OR SUGGESTIONS FOR BETTER PRICES, POST THEM UP WITH INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW YOU GOT THOSE PRICES.

In this thread we need to discuss price ranges, necessities, ideas, etc.
Some hotels (Marriott and Hilton) charge for parking. Please remember that if price is a factor. I tried including as much info as possible on the spreadsheet.

NOTE: AAA Discounts are always provided everywhere, from 5-10% off. I searched with the AAA code, but I've heard rumors that hotels are really cracking down and making you show proof for any discounts. Prices do not include Military or Government discounts.

Personally, I love the Renaissance hotels. They're owned by Marriott and are always nice, roomy, and comfortable hotels. It seems very reasonably priced as well. I stayed in a Renaissance in Downtown ATL that was awesome, but parking was horrible (as anywhere in DOWNTOWN ATL is). I prefer NOT to stay directly downtown.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:13 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

courtyard is owned by marriot to right? i think so. ive liked the courtyard hotels ive stayed at as well as the hiltons. never had rennaisance. id like to keep it under or right at about 200 for the trip.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:16 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Something you didn't add to your spreadsheet, is allowance for pets. I stayed at the hilton last year, and for 3 nights, it was $318 I believe. Pets stay for free, and that was free breakfast, and free snacks and drinks in the executive lounge. Not to mention a VERY nice view. I'd like to stay at a nice place, my wife's birthday is that weekend. I like the Marriotts too, but I have to have a place that accepts pets.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Yes, Courtyard is owned by Marriott. Marriott seems to own everything... Eric--please clarify--did you mean $200 TOTAL for the trip to Atlanta, or just $200 for the alcohol?

REDz, does Marriott not allow pets? I didn't see that listed on their site, but I also didn't see anything that stated they Allowed pets. I'll call.

I forgot you were bringin' the pooch. Does NOPI allow dogs? They should...

I'm fine with the Hilton. Everyone else willing to pay for a nice night at the Hilton? It isn't a huge increase in price, and it's a very nice hotel. REDz stayed there last year.

Also, REMEMBER, if you want to put 2 or 3 to a room, that just makes it less money for you.
My wife and I will be staying in our own room.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:49 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ no dogs allowed at NOPI. what if you had a car that looked like a fire hydrant throug a dog's eye. Don't even bring 'em. Give them to your neighbor for the weekend or something.

I stayed at the courtyard in college park last year. it was a very nice hotel. high ceelings. plenty of room. The hotel does not matter unless you actually plan to do things other then sleep there. I feel like i was ripped for the ammount of time I spent there.

My plan is to go to NOPI, be so hot and tired I can only have about 4-5 beers then wish REDZMAN and sponge bob a good night.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Administrator

I get so hot and tired at NOPI that all I want to do that night is stay in the room, relax, and sleep. I'll leave the show, go get dinner, and go back to the hotel. sleeping.gif not really diggin' a Motel 6 type room
Old 02-21-2007, 12:22 AM

^^^
Totally agree, the sunburns and sore legs are enough to keep you from wanting to do much at night after the show.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (majiktib @ Feb 20 2007, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>REDz, does Marriott not allow pets? I didn't see that listed on their site, but I also didn't see anything that stated they Allowed pets. I'll call.</div>

No Idea, but I'll start looking too.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I forgot you were bringin' the pooch. Does NOPI allow dogs? They should...</div>

They don't, but folks still bring them in. Mine will be in the room, not at the show.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I'm fine with the Hilton. Everyone else willing to pay for a nice night at the Hilton? It isn't a huge increase in price, and it's a very nice hotel. REDz stayed there last year.</div>

Also, the one we stayed at had a very nice indoor pool, hot tub, and a couple of nice places to eat. I'd be willing to find something else though, just to have a variation.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ Feb 20 2007, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>^^ no dogs allowed at NOPI. what if you had a car that looked like a fire hydrant throug a dog's eye. Don't even bring 'em. Give them to your neighbor for the weekend or something.</div>

Who are you talking to? I brought mine to every show I went to last year, but she stays at the hotel room. Our dog goes where we do, she'd probably die if we left her with someone else.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I stayed at the courtyard in college park last year. it was a very nice hotel. high ceelings. plenty of room. The hotel does not matter unless you actually plan to do things other then sleep there. I feel like i was ripped for the ammount of time I spent there.</div>

Well, it sorta shows with the age man. I'm 32 and have a loving wife I like to pamper. I like to get good rooms, be comfortable, and enjoy my stay.

Majik, put up some links so we can check out the actual hotels you are talking about, I wanna see this Courtyard.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:51 AM
Administrator

WHATEVER YOU DO - Don't stay in Forest Park!!! Days Inn hotel was cool, about 150 show cars, but I was afraid to leave the hotel and go get Wendy's down the road, or go in Wal-Mart....

Courtyard Airport South - http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/ATLAN

Renaissance Concourse Hotel - http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/ATLSA

Courtyard Airport North - http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/ATLCA

Residence Inn - http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/ATLRA
***ALLOWS PETS***
--- Free High Speed Internet ---
------------------------------------------------

Residence Inn Info:

STUDIO:
$84/night - AAA Weekend Rate* Studio suite (1king, 1bath)* Fully equipped kitchen, living area* Breakfast daily* Membership ID required ($184.80 for 2 nights, after tax)

2 Bedroom Suite:
$108/night - AAA Weekend Rate* Two bedroom suite (2kings, 2baths)* Fully equipped kitchen, living area* Breakfast daily * ID required
(majik's note: great for those members sharing a hotel room) -- ($237.60 for 2 nights, after tax - or $118 if split between 2 members - or $80 if split among 3 members)

Kitchen Includes:
Fully equipped kitchen
Refrigerator
Stovetop
Oven
Microwave
Dishwasher
Silverware
Pots, pans, and serving dishes
Dishes and glasses

I've never stayed at a Residence Inn... anyone got feedback or experiences? Seems kinda cool...
Complimentary Parking for hotel guests and free breakfast "buffett"
Non-Smoking Hotel --- Built in 1990 --- Rennovated in 2003

http://marriott.com/property/viewallphotos...mp;pageID=HWHOM (Photo Tour)
Old 02-21-2007, 03:14 PM

Dude, if you wanna team up, we could do the 2 room suite with you man. That'd kick ass. We are staying till Monday though.

VERY nice, and with a full kitchen, you can store your snacks/drinks.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Not sure... we'll have to see. I have no problem doing it, but we recently found out Lindsay's highly allergic to animals. We didn't find out til we went to my parents house and it gave her headaches and sinus problems (we had 3 dogs and 5 cats).
She's taking some allergy medicine now, so we'll see how she reacts with that. sad.gif

But yeah... the whole kitchen thing is awesome.
Free grocery shopping? fing02.gif I guess you give them a list and cash, and they go buy it for you? shrug.gif
Free high speed internet fing02.gif
Free parking fing02.gif
Free hot breakfast buffet fing02.gif

My suggestions for NOPI:
Buy the 1 Gallon water jugs at Wal-Mart for $1.50-$2 each (buy 2 per person, per day)
Buy 1 styrofoam cooler for $2 at the Dollar store
Buy 2 bags (per day) of ice to keep in cooler, to keep water cold.
Cook 6 hot dogs (per day, per person) and wrap them in aluminum foil (they'll stay hot at the show, trust me)
Stop at fast food place and pick up several ketchup and mustard packets
Buy 2-3 big bags of Doritos for the weekend

There, you've got about $20-25 worth of food and drinks for 2 people for the weekend.
If you buy lunch AT THE SHOW, you'll spend $20 at one time for two people, and you'll be hungry/thirsty an hour later. My cousin spent about $80-90 for food for 2 days with his wife and 1 year old.

AT THE SHOW:
20oz. bottle of water = $4-$5
Nachos = $3-$5
Frozen Lemonade = $5-$6 (if they don't run out)
Hot Dogs or Cheesesteak = $4-$6

-----------------------------------------
after being at the NOPI shows, I've highly considered ripping out my audio setup and converting my trunk into an ice chest to keep the beer and water on one side, and line the other side with aluminum foil to keep the hot dogs warm. You could probably drive around selling hot dogs for $2.50 each and make $100 profit in no time.
hm..... ideas......

-----------------------------------------
so who's going???

majik -n- Mrs. majik
REDz -n- wifey -n- dog (-n- son?)
DTN
Ericy
Ready2Play (red/black GK owner)

Peter - ?confirm?
Java - ?confirm?
JonGTR - ?confirm?
Viper - ?confirm?