USA - Northwest USA - Northwest members here.

My first autox win

Old 10-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6
Default My first autox win

So yeah, ran autox today and took first place in Novice AM in the Accent at a new site. I don't have final times for everyone else but I think I took it by over a second. Conditions were torrential rain. I only ran today to see how it was in the rain and didn't figure that the Azenis would do me much good in the wet but I was pleasantly surprised with how well they did. I got a "trophy" which was actually a shirt, but I was glad to get something finally. I've gotten trophy positions before but never actually gotten a physical award to bring home.

My runs:
68.465: I was going really slow not having any idea how much grip I would have.

64.454: Actually a pretty respectable time.

63.567: Found almost another second mostly in the dual Chicago box setup.

62.650: Almost another second again, went right on an optional slalom instead of left and tidied up s tight turn after a long slalom.

61.743: Final and fastest time. Just pushed harder since I was already in the lead by quite a bit. I got lucky and came away clean.

The only other Hyundai there was my friend Hon in his LC2, he got a 72.XXX for his fastest time. Fastest time of the morning session was a 42.XXX put down by a highly modified STI on wet racing tires. I won't know where I sat vs. everyone else until results are posted.

I don't have any pictures of me running because I had nobody to take them since the weather was bad, but I took some of other people that I'll post sometime soon.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

we here in dc/va are getting straight rain and cold.

congratulations. hope that next time it's something larger! pictures come out really good in wet conditions given a proper camera, it's too bad.

i've put my car to the limits in the country and i'm very sure my full eibach tiburon with the old springs could have whupped some arse at fedex field too. it's great that you can actually find out how you compete with other cars rather than speculate it like i do.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:12 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent 1.6T

damn...been wantig to autoX for a long time now...they just dont offer it often enough for me to ever make the 4 times a year they have it.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:23 AM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

Thats so awesome! Coagratulations!
Old 10-18-2009, 04:27 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Hyundai Tiburon GS

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HyundaiKitCoupe @ Oct 18 2009, 12:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>we here in dc/va are getting straight rain and cold.</div>

this is true!

haha congratulations floyd, that's so so awesome!
Old 10-18-2009, 07:41 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Genesis 2.0T Track

im jelous, def would love to do that! VA is pretty nasty right now....all week too! I had to be in the field for 4 days in it...very muddy!
Old 10-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Thanks everybody. smile.gif

It was too dark to take pictures of cars going 60mph without a good setup and a little luck. I had trouble tracking the movement but a couple pics I took that did turn out are pretty good.

HKC, autox is very affordable, you should go do it for sure. It's taught me a lot about what I am and am not good at, and the limitations of both me and my car.

Fintile, a quick look shows that you have a very active local autox scene. Look here for the San Diego region SCCA forum and here for the 09 schedule.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Pics! Full album here.

Very wet

A few decent in-focus pics I got

Old 10-19-2009, 04:37 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Sonata LX

we've gotten 3/4 inch of rain every day for almost a week now here in jersey, but SCCA comes often so i'm not worried. smile.gif i never run the sonata obviously, but i have two buddies with a 94 240sxT and an 01 corolla xRS that we've done a lot of suspension work too and each time out it's a great time. it's cheap, easy, and every so often you get a good laugh. last time out the exhaust literally fell off a mustang cobra in mid lap. there was a ferrari gts/gtb that got airborne off a curb, and a volvo wagon and dually-ford that smoked out the whole parking lot. sunday is the next event, i'll get some pics up if i get the chance!
Old 10-19-2009, 09:13 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Accent

wow looks like it was alot of fun. Congrats.