items they sell.
http://www.turbosocks.com

Regarding 1.6L/1.5L DOHC turbo kits

Old 12-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon
Default Regarding 1.6L/1.5L DOHC turbo kits

Alright, I heard back from Treadstone today about getting 1.5L DOHC/1.6L turbo manifolds made.. good news and bad news..

To get this done, I would need 20 pre-buys to get the ball rolling. They said thats the minimum they would be willing to do.

They would also need about 2000$ in tooling costs, just to consider making the manifolds. But I will worry about that later.

The main thing is, is it even POSSIBLE to get 20 people that want to turbocharge their 1.5L DOHC/1.6L motors and would be willing to pay around 400$ for a Cast Turbo Manifold?

I emailed Jason @ Treadstone back, asking about a better cost estimate, per manifold if it was based on one of their current designs. I would hope this would cut down on the tooling/design/3D model aspect, which in turn would mean less up front cost (from me) and a lower cost on the manifolds.

Right now, it looks like a minimum of 20 manifolds to get this going, and the manifolds will be cheaper if more are ordered.

I kind of think that this won't turn out in favor of getting the manifolds made, as i understand 20 manifolds is quite a lot, but i figured i would let you guys know it CAN be done with enough interest.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Good price per manifold, still probably not going to find 20 people to prebuy one. Only way that might work would be to contact other parts vendors to see if they're interested in stocking a couple IMO.

If I make myself a log manifold I will make jigs to fabricate more. That is a big IF though.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

yeah, i thought about just getting someone to make log manifolds, since it would be a lil bit cheaper, but i hate having to rely on someone (not you) i like being able to order off-the-shelf items.

i was going to try the 'log manifolds + jig + a source' with the tiburon manifolds, but theres to much that can go wrong with the scenario.

also their cast manifolds are like f*cking tanks, haha.

we will see what it looks like after a few people poke their heads in. i didn't see this going anywhere really after i saw the 20 min order thing at once, but i figured i would throw it out there.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:43 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Damn Nate, just run bro, lol. Dont sign your name to anything requiring 10-20 Hyundai owners to do anything. If you go through with anything, seriously budget with an extra 20% for fvckups and redos.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

haha, nothing to really worry about with the money up front. We will see what comes of it in the following weeks.

before i'd think about collecting money, i would get some sort of contract with Treadstone so they couldn't just take the money, make a product and give me sh*t in return.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:32 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent 1.6T

Not really a "kit" but its a start. Id say no. i tried to sell a manifold on here for over a month for $200 and it wasn't until I sold a bunch of other stuff to go with it that it sold.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:45 PM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Accent

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fintile @ Dec 10 2009, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Not really a "kit" but its a start. Id say no. i tried to sell a manifold on here for over a month for $200 and it wasn't until I sold a bunch of other stuff to go with it that it sold.</div>

nooooo =[
Old 12-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

fintile, its just a placeholder for the 'possible' kit. other stuff is easy as pie to get together.

BUT, if you had trouble selling a manifold for 200$, thats not so great news for the possibility of me offering a 1.6L manifold, haha.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

looks like this is 100% no go...