Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Why Do You Need A Second Rail? - Smt Experts Please!

Old 09-07-2006, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I've been pondering this for a little bit now but I was sure I'm just missing something and was only going to ask a stupid question. But I've continued to think about it and I can't figure it out. So I'm going to ask the stupid question anyways.

Why do you need a second row of bigger injectors(not the obvious more fuel reason)? If it's possible to run them with the smt6 why can't you run bigger injectors in the stock injector locations with the smt6? Then use a map sensor to control them and drop the maf...

edit: here they used the smt to convert to a map sensor - http://www.idaautomotive.com/changing_over...o_a_map_sen.htm
Old 09-07-2006, 09:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

It's to keep the ECU happy with no codes for emmisions. If you don't have that problem in your state, then you might as well disconnect the MAF.

I'm running fine with the PRS4. It's wired in like a piggyback. Only 10 wires. My filter is sitting on my turbo with no MAF or temp sensor connected. cool.gif
The difference for me is that I can run 1000cc injectors. The SMT is limited to 50%+/- I believe.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:11 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

with the prs you dont need the temp sensor? sorry for hijack. dont mean to turn it into a prs4 topic. as john said though you should be able to do it just fine as long as you have a way around inspections/emissions
Old 09-07-2006, 09:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I used the coolant hookup, but I never saw a hookup for the temp sensor in the program on top of that.

n/m, I forgot that yes you can hook it up. You just set up the wire function to one of the extra wires available. I don't need it personally cause the temps dont fluctuate too much here. It's always hot.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:11 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

it's basicly to keep the computer happy

in your case ( low boost,no huge injector needed) then you're able with the smt-6 to cheat the maf signal to get a decent injector pulse
but, here's the drawbacks,

The ecu like to see some specific voltage at some different rpm and tps points (call them look up tables)
if you're not into those set parameters the ECU start playing games on you
1200 rpm idle (maf signal too low, ECU thinks the engine is about to stall and opens up the idle motor)
TPS versus MAF voltage code (hey stoopid you have almost no air going to the engine but you're at WOT at 5000 rpm)
and other crap like this

you also have to keep in mind that by reducing the MAF voltage the ECU think the engines swallow less air so it bumps up the ignition timing thinking you don't put much load on it

even if you convert your car to run with a MAP sensor instead you will still encounter those problems
some can be "bypassed" some you have to live with

John,
the SMT can remove or add around 2.5 volts to the MAF signal, so basicly at idle you could show the computer a negative voltage if that was possible ;-)

so far,for around 8 psi you can run with larger injector only, but past that extra injectors are a must have to get a nice running car
Old 09-09-2006, 08:42 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

Initially, my main reason for having it is for emmisions purposes

but now... the dual rail setup coupled with a device that kicks me in open loop on command (denis' box) i get precise control over my fueling. now i'm more confident to increase the boost and get power from that very efficiently

hence the result http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?act=ST&...=18&t=17210 (post #5)