Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

White Smoke When Shifting

Old 09-07-2008, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX

Hey. After getting everything running right on my turbo project, I have white smoke coming out of the tail pipe when shifting. I will hit the clutch, shift, and when I get back onto the accelerator a puff of white smoke comes out. What could this be?
Old 09-07-2008, 01:47 PM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

is it white or does it have a little bit of a blue tint to it. if it is white then most likely coolant leaking somewhere. if it is slightly blue then oil is leaking somewhere.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:20 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

check the down pipe for oil...to make sure the seals on the turbo are not going out
Old 09-07-2008, 02:56 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

Check your vacuum hookup to your valve cover as well.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:55 PM

QUOTE (ABQelantra @ Sep 7 2008, 02:47 PM)
is it whte or does it have a little bit of a blue tint to it. if it is white then most likely coolant leaking somewhere. if it is slightly blue then oil is leaking somewhere.

It only happens when I drive it, so i cant really see if there is a blueish tint to it. Would the blue be noticeable from inside the car?
Old 09-07-2008, 05:14 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

have someone follow in parking lot or something to see the color of the smoke
Old 09-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Banned

im betting its bluish white, not white.. which means oil.

could be your seals.. how low is your fitting in the oil pan? how is your feed hooked up?

did you do anything different with your valve cover and PCV vent when you boosted? like catch can or anything? how'd ya hook it up.

but just from your post, my money is on the seals having a) too much pressure from oil feed b) oil return line is too low in pan, not letting it drain.

if thats true, you are probably in need of a new turbo or if it is the return line fitting being too low, you will have to do that over and pray that the seals aren't toast yet.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:27 PM

The fitting is about an inch into the pan. My feed is hooked up from a sandwich plate on the filter and has a restrictor on the turbo end of the line.

I did not touch the valve cover or PCV vent.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:36 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You should put a check valve in your PCV so that you're not boosting your engine block. Also, vent the breather to atmosphere. I've been looking at alot of stock turbo setups. They all have check valves. It could be that the extra boost pressure is forcing oil through the oil pump and causing an increase of pressure on the turbo, which causes failure of the turbo seals. I noticed alot of tibs have a problem with that, and noone seems to put a check valve on their car.

If it is in fact white smoke, you should see the problem at high rpms or low RPMs. You should be able to see bubbles in your coolant. If it's blueish smoke, then you should be able to find an oily residue in your exhaust pipe and you will have a check engine light stating that your emissions have gone to crap because you're buring oil somewhere and it destroys your catalytic pretty quickly. If it's grey/black smoke then you're running rich and a wideband o2 sensor should be able to tell you.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:01 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

if you go UBER rich when shifting it can be caused by too much fuel
havea wideband hooked up?