Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

What do you suggest! EXPERTS!

Old 03-21-2003, 03:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you suggest! EXPERTS!

Well guys as you know im getting a Custom Turbo manifold done by this week.Im debating weather to go with Stainless Steel or Mild steel and ceramic Coated.
I understand Stainless steel is better but im worried that it will crack and will expand because of the heat.
I was looking at Mild steel and ceramic coating it on the inside and outside.
What do you suggest!
Thanks ! smile.gif

[ March 21, 2003, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: 2 UNIQ ]
Old 03-21-2003, 03:35 AM

outside would be pointless...

just get it down inside.
Old 03-21-2003, 04:36 AM

Shadohh:
outside would be pointless...

just get it down inside.
Shadohh!
The reason my machnic says Mild steel is because it cost cheaper and is EASIER to work with when you weld.Then i will ceramic coat it to prevent it from rusting and keep the temps down!! smile.gif
Im just curious if what im doing is a wise choice because alot of people recommend Stainless Steel manifolds.
Any sugestions?
Thanks Bro! smile.gif
Old 03-22-2003, 05:02 AM
Red

Unless it's top-quality stainless steel, it's a good idea to just go with mild steel. Most places that do "stainless steel" headers don't always use top-quality stuff, and the alloys in the steel that actually make it stainless will precipitate out under high heat.

Mild steel will expand a lot as well when heated, and ceramic coating it won't stave it off forever. But it is easier to work with, and cheaper to purchase, so I'd go that route if I were you.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:25 AM

Red:
Unless it's top-quality stainless steel, it's a good idea to just go with mild steel. Most places that do "stainless steel" headers don't always use top-quality stuff, and the alloys in the steel that actually make it stainless will precipitate out under high heat.

Mild steel will expand a lot as well when heated, and ceramic coating it won't stave it off forever. But it is easier to work with, and cheaper to purchase, so I'd go that route if I were you.
Thanks RED!
I guess i will go with my original Plan and go with Mild Steel AND Ceramic coat it on the INSIDE.
Out of curiousity what is an ideal price range that i will be looking at for Mild steel and ceramic coated
Thanks! smile.gif
Old 03-22-2003, 08:44 AM

yeah, I guess ceramic coat the outside make its pretty smile.gif

<-- not a show guy
Old 03-23-2003, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

ceramic coating the inside of mild steel pipes can be a bad thing. The ceramic coating flakes off as the pipe expands (as it ages) and then bits of ceramic get injested by the turbine.

If you DO go with ceramic coating, go with outside only. Who cares what it looks like, you ceramic coat things to keep heat in, not to look purdy.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:33 AM

Thanks for your help Random.I guess i will ONLY ceramic coat the outside of the manifold smile.gif

Now i was thinking of also ceramic coating my Turbo housing as well and also porting it out.Is it worth doing both?
Im also going to weld the flapper SHUT completely on my turbo housing
Would this also be a good idea?
Thanks! smile.gif smile.gif
Old 03-23-2003, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

I would only have the turbo ported/polished by someone who knows what they are doing. It would be very easy for someone to screw it up.

Ceramic coating the outside of the turbine and compressor is a good idea. The more heat you can keep in the turbine and out of the compressor the better. It also helps your underhood temps.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:13 AM

Random:
I would only have the turbo ported/polished by someone who knows what they are doing. It would be very easy for someone to screw it up.

Ceramic coating the outside of the turbine and compressor is a good idea. The more heat you can keep in the turbine and out of the compressor the better. It also helps your underhood temps.
Random!
When you say ceramic coating my turbine and compressor woulds this be my Turbo housing(where the turbo bolts too) smile.gif
Sorry and Thanks smile.gif smile.gif