Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

what do you guys think?

Old 12-30-2012, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon
Default what do you guys think?

i just bought this turbo on ebay, its used and it's a t3t4 a/r .48 needs cleaned up a bit and apparently has less than 1 mm of shaft play. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garrett-AiRe...vip=true&rt=nc
Old 12-30-2012, 10:23 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon i4

So you are asking our thoughts on a turbo that you bought off a guy who bought it for a project and knows nothing about it but can say there is less than 1mm of shaft play... :S

Perfect.

You have a no idea turbo and no warranty or guarantee.

Outstanding!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

I think it has a lot of potential to make a really wicked looking weed eater with enough time and effort.

I have no idea, but there is a reason I hate buying used car stuff off the interwebs.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

There are a few things I never buy used... Underwear, socks, food and turbos.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:14 AM

I'll get back to you guys when I get it.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:16 AM

And, I'm positive nothings wrong with it. The guy has 100% feedback and has been selling since 2001
Old 12-31-2012, 07:22 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon i4

I hope for your sake it is in perfect working order because even though it was inexpensive, wasting cash is never fun.

Regardless of how long he's been selling and his feedback score the item in question is still used and was exposed to abuse at one point or another. The working internals of a turbo are delicate and personally should be rebuilt once it arrives to you. A rebuild will cost about $120 and as long as there is no damage to the housings, wheels or shafts then you should be good to go.

EDIT

Pretty sure what you purchased is a Ford Thunderbird turbo. I did some reading and the Honda guys see max potential from it around the 300whp mark. It's small turbine wheel will become a choking hazard in the higher RPM range but the Beta engine isn't meant to spin like a Honda... I'm wiling to bet you bought it from a Honda guy based on his eBay user name as well. If I'm right about this turbo it was in its prime back in the late 80s. Also the turbo is normally internally gated but the actuator has been removed, perhapsit was broken or maybe the actuator door was welded shut... Just looking at the photos I can't see for sure so take a look at that when it arrives.

A turbo is just one single piece of a project and a terrible one to base your build around. If you start with weird you will always have weird. I'm sorry but unless you are restoring a Ford Thunderbird this turbo will probably afford you more headaches than required in an already headache heavy project.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:40 PM

The turbo is aftermarket. Didn't come off of any stock car. Barely any shaft play att all so its safe to run. Going to be running it soon.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:17 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Turbo is aftermarket for you, that is NOT a T3/T4. Sorry to have to be the one to tell you this. That is a stock turbo off a S13 sr20det, its is junk. There are not only three bolts broke off in the exhaust flange, but some idiot along the way decided to cut the dog ears off the turbos compressor outlet. It looks like sh*t so it will probably work like sh*t. Also these choke out at 200whp. They are crappy, all the 240 guys cant even stand them they have to go after S15 gt28 turbo.

So all in all you have a T25 turbo that had the dog ears cut off the compressor outlet and get to attempt to drill out three broke off studs in a exhaust flange! Lol Happy motoring!

Maybe when someone says they dont know much about what there selling ask the q's before you buy someone elses junk!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:05 PM

Actually its a mustang svo, thunderbird turbo like the guy above said, I have respect for him as for all the rest of you on this website, you're all a**holes. No matter how much somebody needs help you find a way to put him down and discourage him. This is why I'm quitting this forum and moving on to another.