Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

What To Do Next

Old 03-12-2008, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi guys
been a while since ive looked in here.
ive been planning my next steps with the car and id like to get your views if you dont mind?
im looking at doing one of 2 things but im getting mixed views on which one is the better move.
option 1 is to update the clutch and have the flywheel lightened at the same time. this will need doing at some point as ive been told the clutch will start to slip soon with the extra power thats been added. im not sure how true this is mind you. im at about 165 bhp at the moment.
the other option ive been looking in to is to port and polish the inlet manifold, throttle body and have some head work done. this sounds good but im not convinced about the power gains from this mod. is it going to be worth the money spent? turbos are out due to the cost which is a shame. one guy i know is pushing the nitros route but wont the damage the engin in the long run?
at the end of the day you guys have a lot more experiance with these cars than me and the people i know and the internet throughs up pros and cons. any help or info you can offer would be great.
thnaks

steve
Old 03-12-2008, 07:12 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ill tell you right now that going turbo will be cheaper in the long route than an NA build. And with the new tuning solutions for us it is just as reliable. I would look into it a bit more because you will love the power increase and its going to be cheaper than building it naturally aspirated.

Otherwise some higher compression and nitrous would be the way to go. Along with head work and good tuning.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:58 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

I'd go for the clutch and flywheel. You have to brake in the clutch so you could save up for the port and polish at the same time. Not too mention that will mean more down time if you don't have all the seperate parts.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:42 AM

Location: York. About 2hrs from Philly and 4 hours from Pittsburgh

If you are really looking for some serious gains, save up for the turbo. If you just want to continue with "lighter mods" i would take the clutch and flywheel. That way you have it if you do someday decide to go turbo.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:52 AM
Banned

do you want your car to be a project, or a daily driver and reliable as it is now?

if you want to be able to just start up and go every day and not worry about a thing, stick with N/A.

if you want a project and a fast car that you will keep upgrading, go for turbo.

you could make the car a fun N/A car to drive and not have to worry about it breaking the bank and having downtime, etc. with around 2000$ or less. CAI, full exhaust, cams, headwork, higher compression pistons, clutch, flywheel, pulleys, tuning. you would be looking at a pretty big power jump right there and still have the reliable DD.

if you boost, you will spend around 3000 for a decent kit, love boost, spend more to upgrade parts, have downtime here and there to fix/replace/maintain, and most likely lose the daily driver feel.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:54 AM

hi
its a daly drive for me so i cant go to mad. i have done ame cai, 4-2-1 header, exhuast, 1.8 cam, lightened crank pully and tunned with safk neo so far. id be happy to get close to the 200bhp mark. im getting the clutch this month now. thenin the months to follow having some headwork done and port and polish on the inlet manifold a tb. then later in the year bigger cams. im guessing this should see me on my way to 200bhp. its running 165bhp now (132-135 at the wheels) so im thinking its doable?
Old 03-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Banned

with headwork, aggresive cams, and some higher compression pistons you should be able to get close to the 200bhp mark.