Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

What on average will a shop charge to install a kit?

Old 05-18-2011, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 tiburon
Default What on average will a shop charge to install a kit?

If I bought a full kit from somewhere like turbosocks that had everything I needed and took it to a shop that has experience installing turbos on cars, what kind of cost would I look at on an average? This is just for installation...not tuning or anything. I would have to get a clutch too since the kits at turbosocks dont come with them. Would install prices be below $1,000 or more do you think?
Old 05-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

by somewhere like turbosocks, does that mean you bought a cheap shitty kit from ebay? or from jattus?

my kits come with a clutch if you opt for the option also, stage IV...

a shop is going to charge a ton to install it, specially if the piping isn't already 'bolt-on'

TibbyTurbo got charged somewhere around 1600$ for his installation I believe..

how extensive of a kit did you get? that will greatly affect the price... if you have an FIC or something similar, tack on around 300$ to install that... If you have fueling pieces (FPR, injectors) tack on some extra price.. if you have gauges tack on more price.. if you have some type of oil cooler, more money.... get what im saying...

can't give you a good idea unless you tell us exactly what you bought.. if its cheap junk, it might cost even more if they have to troubleshoot some parts that otherwise wouldn't need trouble shooting.

cost will also depend on the area you are in. some shops wont even TOUCH an aftermarket turbo kit install.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:52 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

Thanks for the info. I havent bought the kit yet. I have enough to buy a kit + a good clutch and I'll have around $750 left over. I'm trying to figure out how much more I'll need for the install and probably a couple of runs on a dyno for tuning.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

what are you considering 'enough' for a good kit and how complete of a kit?

turbo kit alone?

turbo kit + injectors?

turbo kit + injectors + fuel kit + clutch?

turbo kit + fuel kit + injectors + FIC + exhaust + clutch?

if you start off small, you can do pretty well with other members FIC maps.

couple dyno runs somewhere will probably cost 300$ or so.

one more thing.. DO NOT and i repeat DO NOT buy one of those 'full' kits off ebay... or you will be TibbyTurbo 2.. and thats a bad thing, FYI.

a cheap ebay turbo kit will cost you MORE in the long run than doing it RIGHT with a quality kit the first time. thats not a 'theory' its a fact..