Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Water Methanol

Old 05-27-2008, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Hey guys/gals,

I've been tossing around the idea of water methanol for a while now for the upcoming hot summer days.

I was just curious if anyone has tried it before on a hyundai or any other car, and how much it would cool the intake charge?

It would be a nice security blanket to prevent detonation when the intake air gets really hot.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:36 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

I have my methanol setup sitting in the back of my car, not hooked up, because I'm a lazy ass as of latley. I've seen people run two different setups on Methanol cooling with the same setup. You can either tune around it, or add it in to your current tune, and see how it runs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-...p3756.m20.l1116

Goodluck.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:48 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Not only will it cool though it will raise the octane in the fuel as well. So you would be cooling it and allowing yourself to run more boost and timing. I was surprised you didnt add this right away with your setup. With your standalone you should be able to activate this under many different parameters to. So if its above a certain temp (iat) it should be able to turn this on, cooling the intake.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:56 PM

^Ya. I am getting a bit exited after reading through that info on the ebay link.

I should definately do this, I could probably run 18 psi with this setup without worrying about detonation, just breaking rods or rod bolts.

Is $400 the average price for these? This kit does look very nice, so I would guess it is on the higher end of the cost spectrum.

I will have to look into the standalone options here, and I need to run a switched power to my boost control solenoid as well.

So would I mount the injector as close to the TB as possible? I would guess that would be fine, before it of course.

I am curious how instantanious the injection is, or if it takes half a second to kick on or something you know?

Just use low freezing point washer fluid? Really? That seems too easy.

Thanks for any input and suggestions guys.

EDIT: Speaking of boost control, in the haltech software for boost control properties, I set the ms of the solenoid (33ms for this solenoid), then the only other option is max boost pressure, does the standalone do everything for me to keep boost at the max level I set it to? That seems much simpler than I thought. The thing that is confusing me is the wastegate duty cycle map and what I am supposed to do with that. It is 2D with rpm and duty cycle as each axis.

Thanks again, sorry for all the questions, but I figured I should get them all out there.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:09 PM

I dont know specifics on the Haltech at all. But you should be able to run this quite easily. And it should control the wastegate solenoid to prevent overboost I think.

You can even use straight water but that only cools. Methanol mixed with water is whats best because it cools and raises octane. Your Tib would be crazy on stock compression with that and more boost. And from recent threads you probably know or have known not to run straight methanol (twin engine tib)

And theres many kits out there. They arent to complex really either. Most come with a box that activates it at any given RPM. Easy stuff.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:23 PM

Yeah like I said I am getting exited already, maybe I could shoot for mid-high 300's whp with this?

I know how to set the overboost already, and it defineately works. But as far as getting the car to run say 18 psi constantly from 3500 to redline smoothly is troubling. It would be sweet if the haltech just adjusted the amount the solenoid opens or runs on it's own to run the set boost pressure but I am unsure.

As far as triggering this with the haltech, I may be able to wire it in using the nitrous control, there is intake temp, rpm point, and boost level activation points in the software for that.

Oh yeah, how do I know how much is spraying into the engine? Can I adjust or change the nozzles like nitrous (is that necessary), or is it a standard thing that sprays the same amount all the time on all types of cars?
Old 05-27-2008, 05:25 PM

Any output should be able to run this with parameters set by you. I would say nitrous control would work great.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:33 PM

That's what I will use.

Any info on the nozzle size and reaction time?

I guess I will send the seller a question too.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:51 PM

I saw a reaction time looking around a little bit ago. Its really quick.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:05 PM

He replied already, reaction is instantanious according to him, and they ship a different size nozzle depending on the application.

ALTHOUGH, I read further, and there are fully controllable setups that vary the amount of pressure output depending on boost, rpm, iat, etc. I am wondering if that would be overkill? It's like $600 instead of $400. You can connect a laptop to it and adjust all the settings that way. Pretty bad ass. Im leaning toward spending the extra dough, but is it really necessary?